• Just lost a game where I was playing as the Allies. Going to try and post this while it’s fresh in my head. Just going to highlight the major stuff. I will fill in the details, the best I can if more information is needed.

First the TL:DR. German took France on G1 and attacked Russia on G2, breaking there line and pretty much owned Europe after G4. I did my best to create pressure on Germany in the west, but they took way too many IPCs, way to fast. How can I stop an aggressive G2 attack on Russia or at least slow them down enough to allow the other allies time to, do their thing.

Here are some details.

G1: Germany attacks Norway and France takes both. Destroys a good portion of the U.K.'s navy.
    R1: Purchase mostly infantry and artillery, some tanks. Move units to Western border and start building my lines.
    U.K. 1: Purchase destroyer/subs and infantry/artillery for Africa

U.S. starts preparing navy/transports and such, Italy at tacks fleets in the Mediterranean, France doesn’t do much.

Here’s where I started having problems. On G2 Germany plays extremely aggressively and attacks Russia and punches through the front lines. Russia was able to hold out for about 2 turns before I lost Leningrad. I then focused my remaining efforts on holding Moscow, which I was able to do for about 4 or 5 turns and the only reason I was able to hold out that long was because German took their sweet time gaining territory.

• I think you mean Finland instead of Norway.

Anyway.
    Building up a wall at the border is not a good idea, it gives Germany the chance to wipe out valuable Russian defenders with probably minimal losses. It is usual safer to retreat and build a counter attack force that can strike when Germany advances recklessly or makes a mistake.

Edit: i think for the Allies it is first priority to keep London, and keep or retake Egypt. Russia is likely to fall, but then the Axis need one more VC, so you can’t afford to lose those 2.
    I always feel that controlling the med is crucial as well (for Egypt and the Middle East, and for squeezing the Italians dry. A perfect job for the USA).

Edit 2: If Moscow has been attacked and you still live, but you clearly see that a second wave will take you down without really hurting German troops, you might want to evacuate your air force (land them in the Middle East or even on Cyprus or wherever is a good place).
    That way, after Russia falls you still have a few good units that can make the difference. Even their threat alone is worth this.
    I once did this and my russian bomber was a real pest for the Axis :)

By the way, did you play OOB or Alpha rules? In OOB Norway is a great target for the USA.

• Alpha 3

• 2 things buy 1 battle ship turn 1 as America and leave NO men on Russian board territories.

My 2 cents

PS ask me and I while give a more in depth strategy for the allies, out of 15 games of alpha +2 against my dad I have had 12 wins and 3 losses.

• It’s often a good idea to leave a blocker (generally 1 infantry) in the Russia border territories, because then Germany can’t blitz through.  Italy might attack “can-opener style”, but it can still be helpful.

• That’s the point in my strategy if Germany wants to they can blitz the frontier teritories, because I’ll blitz them back, but if they blitz through even better then they got no more cannon fodder and there doomed.

• So US is down for 4 rounds. afterwards, what territory should be their main goal? i used to assault normandy or south-france, because of the IC’s. Also thought of aiming at italians, who can break through egypt now. But then russians are hard pressed.
    perhaps they should land together with british in norway?

• @Frontovik:

So US is down for 4 rounds. afterwards, what territory should be their main goal? i used to assault normandy or south-france, because of the IC’s. Also thought of aiming at italians, who can break through egypt now. But then russians are hard pressed.

the turn sequence of Alpha 3 is ideal for attacking with USA and reinforcing with UK INFs and FIGs

edit: for me Africa is first priority (UK IPC’s + securing a front and Egypt, a VC), when that is settled i prefer to aim at Norway (NO bonus for Germany and a relatively safe spot to land, AND of course a place where USA can build an IC)

• Spam not dead.

• Spam not dead.

• Spam not dead.

• @special:

@Frontovik:

So US is down for 4 rounds. afterwards, what territory should be their main goal? i used to assault normandy or south-france, because of the IC’s. Also thought of aiming at italians, who can break through egypt now. But then russians are hard pressed.

the turn sequence of Alpha 3 is ideal for attacking with USA and reinforcing with UK INFs and FIGs

edit: for me Africa is first priority (UK IPC’s + securing a front and Egypt, a VC), when that is settled i prefer to aim at Norway (NO bonus for Germany and a relatively safe spot to land, AND of course a place where USA can build an IC)

by the time africa is decently secured, russia has fallen…
    (atleast alpha 2)

• @Frontovik:

@special:

@Frontovik:

by the time africa is decently secured, russia has fallen…
    (atleast alpha 2)

That can happen, but even so, as long as Axis don’t capture either Cairo or London they haven’t won.

Also i said first priority, not only priority ;)

Of course Allies need to be turning the tide by now on the other side of the map.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m