• Just out of curiosity, what was the biggest single turn increase in IPC’s (not counting NO’s), you guys have ever had?

With Japan, I took all of the DEI’s excluding Sumatra, the Phillipines, Kwangtung, 3 Chinese territories, and FIC in one turn to raise Japan by 21 IPC’s in one turn.

• I had China go from 1 IPC to 21 by their next turn, mostly because USA, UK, and ANZAC liberated like 9 territories.

Also had Japan go up 28 once (All DEI, Malaya, FIC, Hong Kong, Philippines, and some Chinese and Russian territories)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, there is the best potential with Japan since you get spend 3 rounds setting up an explosion and take much of the world in one round.

By the start of round 4 I should have 12 transports in the S. Pacific to use on:

Philippines
    Sumatra
    Java
    Celebes
    Malaya
    Sham State
    FIC
    Borneo
    Hong Kong/Kwangtung
    W. Australia
    NTE
    New Guinea/New Britian
    Guam/Wake/Midway

If you include the NOs, that’s roughly:

• 28 IPC Territories
    • 5 IPC DEI
    • 5 IPC Islands
      for Japan
    • 5 IPC India all originals
    • 7 IPC India territories
    • 5 IPC Australia all originals / Malaya
    • 5 IPC Australia New Guinea
    • 2 IPC Australia Territories
    • 5 IPC America Philippines
    • 2 IPC America Territories

Total Swing on the Game Board: 69 IPC

• There is no way an Allied Player is going to let you do that….

Oh posh, I’ve had allied players let me take DC with Germany because they didn’t see it coming.  The Japo-explosion is nothing hard to accomplish!  Not a whole heckuva lot the British and Australians can do to stop all those territories from falling either.

• Well, each of those territories is only getting one transport, so Japan could easily lose some of that (assuming there’s defense in places, e.g. Phillipines, Malaya, Hong Kong, etc.).  It could certainly happen, but it definitely won’t happen every time you try it.

• 1 turn Russia went from having only Moscow and the pacific board territories to having every Russian territory except Leningrad and Karelia.
    That’s a 22 ipc increase.

@Ruanek:

Well, each of those territories is only getting one transport, so Japan could easily lose some of that (assuming there’s defense in places, e.g. Phillipines, Malaya, Hong Kong, etc.).  It could certainly happen, but it definitely won’t happen every time you try it.

Of those territories the only two that are generally defended are Kwangtung (Hong Kong - 2 Infantry), Philippines (2 Infantry), the rest are empty.

• You must play some really shitty players then.

• @Cmdr:

Oh posh, I’ve had allied players let me take DC with Germany because they didn’t see it coming.  The Japo-explosion is nothing hard to accomplish!  Not a whole heckuva lot the British and Australians can do to stop all those territories from falling either.

Ive had Allied players let me do the same thing.

• @Cmdr:

Yes, there is the best potential with Japan since you get spend 3 rounds setting up an explosion and take much of the world in one round.

By the start of round 4 I should have 12 transports in the S. Pacific to use on:

Philippines - I leave a ship there to defend, and the FTR forcing Japan to use 2-3 TRN
    Sumatra Calcutta takes UK1 and sends FTR UK2
    Java - ANZAC takes A1 with 2 INF and send two FTR to defend A2
    Celebes - rarely see this on first round, but possible
    Malaya - By J4 I have 6 INF and at least 2 aircraft there
    Sham State - should be some INF defending
    FIC - easy
    Borneo - definitely possible
    Hong Kong/Kwangtung - easy
    W. Australia - doubt it unless you go KAF
    NTE - throwing away troops and can’t defend both Australian coasts with warships
    New Guinea/New Britian - ok
    Guam/Wake/Midway - ok

If you include the NOs, that’s roughly:

• 28 IPC Territories - More like +15
    • 5 IPC DEI - won’t happen in one round
    • 5 IPC Islands - ok
      for Japan
    • 5 IPC India all originals - yes
    • 7 IPC India territories - ok, but by your scheme it should be 10 adding Malaya, Borneo, Hong Kong
    • 5 IPC Australia all originals / Malaya - ok if you took an Island, unlikely you took either Australian terr.
    • 5 IPC Australia New Guinea - If they even had it to begin with
    • 2 IPC Australia Territories - unlikely unless KAF
    • 5 IPC America Philippines - yes
    • 2 IPC America Territories - yes

Total Swing on the Game Board: 69 IPC - More like 39

First of all, this won’t ever happen against anyone worth a spit.  Second, you can’t defend TRN in 12 sea zones, I’d sink half of them the following round with aircraft or subs I leave lurking around.  Third - you speak with so much hyperbole and conjecture.  I follow your comments very closely, and your opinions are always so skewed towards an outcome you desire, and when people call you on them you make up some lame excuse.  You make grand sweeping generalities but when it comes to practical use of those designs, your comments always fall apart.  Anyway, I digress, this sh*t you just posted won’t ever happen unless you’re playing against yourself and you let it happen.

• Just played a game where France went from zero to 21…wooooo.

America held Southern France; British held Normandy; British held FIC; Actually, technically they still had control of African and Syria, and actually controlled both Libya and Ethiopia, so they went from 10 t0 21.  I could have liberated France on America’s turn, but waited to build on southern…then again on Britain’s turn, but waited to build on Normandy…finally liberated France with two ANZAC troops (the ones from Egypt) that rode a British transport to Southern.

I dislike liberating France since it seems like a penalty, but whatever…it’s Paris and Australians love the Eiffel Tower.

• @shadowguidex:

While I agree with some of what you said, as Japan I would jump at the opportunity to kill the few Fighters that these two have.  If it meant taking one or two fewer islands, I would definitely consider it still to be a gain for me.  This is probably a mistake as an Allied player.

• @Alsch91:

@shadowguidex:

While I agree with some of what you said, as Japan I would jump at the opportunity to kill the few Fighters that these two have.  If it meant taking one or two fewer islands, I would definitely consider it still to be a gain for me.  This is probably a mistake as an Allied player.

No way, because you’re taking out Japanese INF.  The more INF you kill the better - make them earn every single square inch of land because each battle whittles away from of their INF.  Two FTR and two INF make for a nasty island to capture, and if you have a blocking ship there to ruin bombardments, all the better.  It’s a LONG way from Japan to anywhere, especially when you gotta guard those TRN the whole way - and getting the TRN back to Japan is even worse.  Once the Japanese player begins to build minor IC everywhere, you know he is beaten because he’ll undoubtedly make the error of building tanks, but that’s a fools errand and will lead to nothing.

• I very much agree. Exactly the setup that would lure JPN into killing those two ANZAC fighters at the cost of all the ground troops they have in the area. If their transports survive, it’ll take them 2 or 3 turns to get back to an IC to load new troops

• @cts17:

There is no way an Allied Player is going to let you do that….

The question was: What was your biggest increase. Her answer was not: I always get this. It was an example of one game. I take that to mean that happened, not that that is always going to happen.

Play styles differ, it is not unreasonable.

Seeing Russia get Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Finland, Norway and Korea on turn 4 is also not unreasonable in some play. That is a 5+6+6+2+6+3 increase or: 28 IPC jump. (Requires 1 Russian transport)

Again, that is not a standard jump, but one that is not impossible against some styles (such as Sea Lion)

She is more than capable of defending herself, I just wanted to chime in since it struck me as odd that you all pounced like she was Paris on Germany’s turn 1.

6 Transports + Fleet in SZ 36 gives me the option of hitting Philippines, Borneo, Celebes, Java, Sumatra, Malaya, FIC, Sham State, Burma, Guam and/or Dutch New Guinea

6 Transports + Fleet in SZ 33 gives me the option of hitting Midway, Wake, Hawaii, Jonah, Solomons, New Zealand, New Guinea, New Brition, Guam, Philippines, Dutch New Guinea, Java, Celebes, Borneo, Queensland, New South Wales, Nothern Territories, W. Australia

Having your fleet split in two is hardly going to let Australia or India sink all your transports or even half your transports by any wild stretch of the imagination.  You don’t have the equipment, you don’t have the positioning and you don’t have the income to justify this.

Also, the question was what was the biggest jump you have seen.  The first time you play this game it is very hard to notice all the little things that can happen to you or you can do to the enemy and what the long reaching and short term benefits are of doing them.

What I stated was seen (once) and is perfectly legal on J4 to happen.  I did not include builds in SZ 6 which, in theory, would also be able to hit Midway, Wake, Hawaii, Guam, Philippines, Aluetians, Alaska, British Columbia, Siberia, Amur, and/or Soviet Far East.  I also didnt include any inroads into China (mainly because I evacuate China, I would rather have Calcutta or Moscow than Beijing)

• Customizer

So you don’t go after China as Japan?  Maybe that’s what we do wrong when playing Japan.  Whenever someone in my group plays Japan (myself included), we usually try to stomp China out as quickly as possible.  Yes, it takes quite a bit of man power but I’ve always saw it as the best way to get to Calcutta through Yunnan.  If you do this, won’t you end up losing Shanghai and Hong Kong?  Eventually, China will build up enough infantry, with a few artillery while the Burma Road is still open, to take those territories from Japan.  Both of them are 3 IPC territories.  Granted, taking Calcutta is better, but don’t you want to get those other VCs back?

As for the largest increase I have seen in one turn, I think I have you all beat.  In one game, Germany took London so Italy was able to spread out all over the Med, Middle East and Africa.  Most importantly, they also had Gibraltar and it’s naval base.  The US was in a protracted battle with Japan and in the process of taking many islands in the Pacific and even threatening to invade Japan itself.  After the Royal Navy was sunk and London captured, Germany was busy invading Russia and Italy busy taking over Africa so there was ZERO activity in the Atlantic (most of the German subs were taken as casualties in sinking the Royal Navy and never replaced).  Now, as I said, the US was planning for a big invasion of Japan and desperately needed more land units to fill the transports waiting on the west coast.  With Germany busy in Russia and Italy busy in the Middle East, the US player felt safe on the east coast and pulled ALL units over to W USA to head for Japan.
    Well, little Italy still had a small navy left, which included 3 transports.  As soon as the last units left Central US for Western US, Italy moved it’s small fleet over to SZ 91.  I don’t know if the US player was blind or simply thought Italy was doing something else, but on the next turn Italy moved in and took Eastern US, Central US and Central America all at once.  Other Italian forces also took the Caucasus and Persia that same round.  Total territory grab= 37 IPCs.  Plus two more NOs (2 IPCs Persia, 5 IPCs Caucasus) for a grand total of 44 IPCs in growth in a single turn.
    Now, don’t get me wrong, I know this move was a TOTAL fluke and will probably never happen again.  However, it did happen once.  Needless to say, this won the game for the Axis.  All US ground troops were on transports heading for Japan and all that was on WUS was 4 or 5 bombers that were going to be useed in the invasion of Japan (US had Long range Aircraft tech).  Even if they had ground troops, they couldn’t get through Central US to save Washington.  The US fleet couldn’t get throught the Panama Canal since Italy had that too.  Even if they took Tokyo, which they did just for spite, the Axis still win on the Europe board.
    Anyway, like I said, I doubt we will ever see a fluke like that again.  Ever since, whomever plays the US ALWAYS leaves 4-6 infantry in Washington.

I used to go after China hard, but once I realized that China cannot leave China and cannot liberate Korea or Calcutta, I stopped.  Sometimes I try to punch a hole through the north, but more often than not, I grab 24 ground units from China and move them into the islands or out towards America or, more likely, into Russia to weaken them as fast as possible so that the American Pac-Strat will fail (due to German victory cities)

• One time I played a game against someone who used to be an Arthur Anderson accountant (you know, the firm that did Enron’s accounting) and somehow Anzac went from 10 ipc on round 1 to 110 ipc on round 2.  He swore it was an honest “accounting error”……

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m