• I’ve finally found some players to play this wonderful game, I won our game last weekend as the Axis but I’ve solo’d it a few times since then and there seems to be absolutely nothing the Axis can do about a KGF strategy. We play with NOs. My opening moves as Germany are:

3 Inf, 2 Arm, 1 Art, Bulgaria -> Ukraine
    2 Arm, Czech -> East Poland
    2 Inf, 1 Art, Poland -> East Poland
    2 Inf, 2 Arm, Poland -> Baltic States
    1 Inf -> Finalnd -> Baltic States
    1 Art, Germany -> Baltic States
    1 Cruiser, 1 Sub, SZ5 -> SZ6
    1 Fighter, Norway -> SZ2
    1 Bomber, Germany -> SZ2
    1 Sub, SZ7 -> SZ2
    1 Sub, S27 -> SZ12
    1 Fighter, NWE -> SZ12
    1 Fighter, Germany -> SZ12
    1 Arm, France -> Egypt (transport)
    1 Inf, Morocco -> Egypt (transport)
    1 Inf, 1 Art, 1 Arm, Libya -> Egypt

Pretty sure that’s everything. The first turn usually turns out well, I grab an NO, the UK fleet is sunk, and Egypt is usually either cleared or is very softened up for Italy. The Russians turtled on their factories, 2nd turn I consolidate all the German units on the East front into East Poland, bringing up reinforcements from Poland and Germany from 1st turn buy, not attacking any Russians. 3rd turn I push for Eastern Ukraine or Belorussia, but the Russian counter-attack wipes everything out completely and by that time, Germany has to start worrying about the UK and US transports landing in the West and even with help from Italy, the Atlantic wall doesn’t hold out.

With Japan I basically grab all the UK IPCs in the Pacific that I can, and set up a steady flow of units through China but this takes till about turn 3 to get anything decent in there. As I mentioned, by turn 3 the Germans no longer threaten Russia cause they have so much on their hands elsewhere, allowing the Russians to beat back the Japanese with impunity. What am I doing wrong?

• What are your purchases in G1-3?  What are your purchases as Japan and Italy?  What is Italy doing during this time?  What is Russia/UK/US purchasing?

Too many variables to give any real insight as to what may be going on.

• @Rorschach:

What are your purchases in G1-3?  What are your purchases as Japan and Italy?  What is Italy doing during this time?  What is Russia/UK/US purchasing?

Too many variables to give any real insight as to what may be going on.

Japan’s first turn buy is 2 transports, and then it’s pretty much constantly infantry, artillery and tanks into China and then to Russia. The problem is by the time there’s a significant Japanese force to actually threaten Russia, Germany is getting picked apart by the Western powers who simply ignore Japan altogether.

Italy just buys infantry to stack on France, perhaps this is where I’m going wrong? If Allies are banking hard on France/Germany landings, perhaps stealing IPCs in Africa with Italy would force at least one of them to break off from attacks on German territory and reclaim the African IPCs.

Russia buys an assortment of infantry and tanks, UK and US build heavy navy at first and then go all out on loaded transports. By turn 3 there are substantial landings in Western Europe.

• '16 '15 '10

Still need to know what your German buys are.

Also need to know more about your typical early moves with Japan–how fast you are sezing all the islands and denying Allies cash from NOs.  If you are making tactical errors with Japan then they might be a little slower…allowing KGF to succeed.  KGF should be speedy and efficient so Japan has to be speedy and efficeint too.

Infantry for France is a good Italian strat but you want to buy a few armors here and there to keep the can opener threat active in the eastern front.  Using the can opener threats strategically early in the game can make it hard for Russia to advance, and preventing Russia from consistently getting that NO is certainly one of your main objectives.

• Japan can afford some of their fighter corp to help the axis defend europe.  This is easily accomplished, and can be done very early in the war if so desired:  J3 can see at least 2 ftrs in Europe (france, Germany or italy)

without specifics, this is the best general advice I can offer to fend off an allied KGF.

• I’ve been thinking about this based on the limited information and all I can come up with is the following;

Germany R1 : You seem (to me) to be doing pretty standard opening moves, so no issue here really (no idea what your purchase usually is though).
    If R1 they are turtling on the factories and not counterattacking (I assume that Russia is purchasing 10 infantry to stack on factories constantly), that to mean means they’ll die sooner rather than later in most typical games I play.

When you get to J1, you should have absolutely no problem taking almost ALL the money islands (without question you can take the entire DEI), one long line into china and wipe out the american pacific fleet.  I usually ignore russia at this point with Japan as they’re only a  minor nuisence here.  With your two new transports (+1 infantry)  you’re now set up to start moving around.

Assuming Britain and the US are gunning 100% for germany, that leaves the pacific open for Japan.  This, IMO is a mistake and allows the possibility of a Kill AMERICA first for the axis.  Perhaps instead of playing with Russia, go full force for the US.  Just doing something different will most often through your opponent(s) off enough to cause havoc and give you an edge.

For italy, assuming that Egypt falls in round 1, they should be able to continue on through Africa, shore up Morocco and France and push a couple of tanks towards Russia.

• My first turn by as Germany is 4 inf, 2 art, 2 tanks, which is pretty much a consistent buy for me as Germany except that from turn 2 onwards I can afford 4 tanks instead of just the 2. I like it cause it’s a balanced buy, though from my understanding it seems a lot of people go full on tanks.

• @creeping-deth87:

My first turn by as Germany is 4 inf, 2 art, 2 tanks, which is pretty much a consistent buy for me as Germany except that from turn 2 onwards I can afford 4 tanks instead of just the 2. I like it cause it’s a balanced buy, though from my understanding it seems a lot of people go full on tanks.

I think Germany should push their advantage they  have over Russia, and tanks are the best way to do that.  Combine that with Italy’s can opener, you threaten Russia to keep her on her toes.  By round 4, those units can come back home if/when needed.

Remember it was mobility that won the war (mech inf, tanks, fighters, bombers…)

I think 2 inf, 5 tanks is a good buy for Germany.]
    You can project a bit more power with 3 inf, 2 tanks, bomber too.

• If USA is ignoring Japan: attack America with Japan (full assault). It will disrupt any plans USA could have, and Japan (with superior income than USA) can allow spare some IPCs to expand to the west as well

• Agains a KGF the key to win is to be aggressive with Japan. UK should not have more then 25 IPC in round 3.

For Japan to go via China is not a good idea. A threat against Caucasus is the counterattack.

Factory in French Indochina, Burma, India. Take Australia with a small fleet and deny US NO in Pacific. Factory on East Indies or Borneo is to far away. With 60 ICP+ Japan should have 5 factories on main land. Ftr to Europe and SBR Russia.

KGF is normally not a good move for allied. Axis has ha 60-65% chance to win. Japan can easily get 80 IPC and quickly take Russia. Logistics with inf from Japan is a bad strategy in almost any situation. You need factories on main land.

French Indochina is the best one to build turn 1. Burma and Manchuria turn 2 and India turn 3 if Japan doesn’t have any resistance from US.

What do do with G and I. Mix of troops (more then 8 ftr/brb is not good. Inf-tanks is important and always produce maximum HP in G) is important with G. Fleet (will normally not be possible) and HP is important with I. If UK is poor due to Japan SBR UK is good. If possible both with G and J ( yes you read right, J and not I).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m