• Sponsor

I own 2 copies of A&A 50th AE (not for sale!) and I am amazed how I am finding uses for all the accessories it comes with. When we are playing global, its great to use all that beautiful money, we also use the damage markers instead of keeping ships on there side and of course we use the old AA Guns and Factories instead of those pesky cardboard counters (I painted half of the plastic ICs black to represent majors).

Anyway, I decided to paint 6 of the many old US fighters I have red to represent kamikaze. As I was looking at my board I realized there were 6 kamikaze sea zones, so I placed the cardboard counters on them to better see them, and it looked really good

I asked myself, man, I wish I had something to better see all those convoy zones, so I looked in my spare parts and found my old research tokens. Because I have 2 copies of 50th, I had just enough tokens (+1) to place on all the convoy zones (a missile icon incorporated in a dollar symbol is a perfect representation for a torpedo disrupting convoys for money). the point of this thread after all that is…. looking at all the token counters on the board, I underestimated the number of convoy zones.

I am positive our group has missed many convoy disruptions because they are so dam hard to see. I’m going to test having all those counters on the board and find out if they are helpful or just get in our way.

How are you at spotting convoy disruption opportunities due to faded game board graphics?

• I think you must be, by far, the most organised AA player out there!!! :-D

• Sponsor

@captainhook:

This is outstanding. How long did it take you to make it?

a whole weekend. do you know of a thread where I can compare my table with others?

• Sponsor

@captainhook:

This is outstanding. How long did it take you to make it?

I created a new thread about my table (with pictures) in the “other axis and allies variants” forum to keep this one about convoy zones. Cheers.

• I think theyre fine as is, I don’t have any trouble with them.  What I do is first figure out the number of NO’s for a country.  Then I start by adding all the conquered territories, subtract for base territories that I’ve lost.  Then add the base number.  Then finally I go around and check for convoys.  By doing the income chart the same way every time it makes it easy to not miss the convoy.  We also do a minimum of 2 counts.(one count per player) so that we are checking each other’s math.

Ex.
    Italy has 2 NO’s.  Base 10.  10+10(NO)=20, plus conquests, we’ll say 16.  Minus Ethiopia=35.  Minus convoy damage along africa and in med -8, Italy has 27 ipcs.

• Sponsor

@JimmyHat:

I think theyre fine as is, I don’t have any trouble with them.  What I do is first figure out the number of NO’s for a country.  Then I start by adding all the conquered territories, subtract for base territories that I’ve lost.  Then add the base number.  Then finally I go around and check for convoys.  By doing the income chart the same way every time it makes it easy to not miss the convoy.  We also do a minimum of 2 counts.(one count per player) so that we are checking each other’s math.

Ex.
    Italy has 2 NO’s.  Base 10.  10+10(NO)=20, plus conquests, we’ll say 16.  Minus Ethiopia=35.  Minus convoy damage along africa and in med -8, Italy has 27 ipcs.

Thats a great formula, I guess our group misses that convoy math all the time. Wow, maybe in another decade, A&A will need modifier tables like D&D.

• That’s not a bad idea Grasshopper! AA50 does have a lot of stuff to add to AAGlobal1940! Like Italian Tanks for one thing! Always felt that the convoys are distinctive enough on the board and you are bound to miss them if you are not super thorough. AA Europe convoys were so good for the battle of the Atlantic and wish we could have that for AA Global40.

• Sponsor

@Admiral_Thrawn:

That’s not a bad idea Grasshopper! AA50 does have a lot of stuff to add to AAGlobal1940! Like Italian Tanks for one thing! Always felt that the convoys are distinctive enough on the board and you are bound to miss them if you are not super thorough. AA Europe convoys were so good for the battle of the Atlantic and wish we could have that for AA Global40.

Much agreed, A&A 50th AE, I believe will become know as a turning point, or bench mark in the whole franchise. I’m worried about all those counters getting in our way, and I would like to get some plexiglass soon to cover them and the game board.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m