• Now before I even start this topic I feel I should make it clear that my gaming group is pretty isolated and I understand that, as a group, we’ve developed strategies that, while solid against one another, may not hold up well against someone attacking from a completely unexpected angle.  That being said, what I’ve seen from this board the community says that the best strategies are sea-lion for Germany(axis) and %100 balls out crush Japan for the Americans(allied).

Well, I believe that a sea-lion for Germany may be weaker than other options they have.  Also I believe that there are ways for Japan to combat an all-out American attack long enough for the European axis to score the win.

If you’re still reading (which I doubt most of you are) here goes.

Sea-Lion requires you to spend nearly 100 IPCs on units that are very difficult to keep alive and are nearly useless after turn 3.  The standard buy turns 1 and 2 consist of very little to no land units whatsoever.  In my mind that’s ridiculous.  100 IPCs could buy you 10 tanks and 10 mechs.  I’m not suggesting that this is necessarily the best move, but having a stack like that staring down Russia is much better than having 12-13 transports stuck in the black sea.  Also destroying the royal navy costs you the majority or you’re air power.  Having 4-5 tactical bombers with tanks allow you to crack Russia open.

Turn 1 build transport, sub and whatever land units you feel like spending 17 IPCs on. The trick to attacking Russia is to do it early.  Turn two early.  Before they amass a force capable of counter-attack.  Attack Yugoslavia turn one with all available infantry and artillery that cannot non-combat move to the Russian border.  Plus one infantry from Romania of course, because you’ll retreat there after one round of combat with the whole stack.  Norways units walk into Finland.  Transport 2 infantry as well.  Turn 3 attack East Poland, Baltic States, Karelia, and Vyborg.  Turn 4 should see Leningrad fall.

Japan’s goal is obviously to hold out long enough to allow the Germans to wipe out Russia and find their way into Cairo.  When I play as Japan I assume the US is going to place a huge bullseye on my face and proceed to throw every damn thing they have at it.  I’m not going to win.  I’m not going to have any fun.  But I’m going to be annoying as possible the whole time its going on.  The first way to do this is not declaring war until turn 3.  Keep em off you as long a possible….

Turn 1 buys:  3 transports 1 artillery.    Standard attacks into China.
    Turn 2 buys:  4 transports 4 infantry.    Continue to blow up Chinese things.
    Turn 3 buys: every destroyer in the box.    You’ve got 10 transports.  Take Alaska and the Aluetians if you can.  Take as many DEI as you can.  Grab Guam, Wake, and even Midway if you can.  Oh yea the Philippines too…  Now of course the allied players are probably going to see this coming and may move the entire American fleet right to your doorstep.  That of course changes your turn 3 buy to defend the homeland, but I still strongly suggest grabbing every damn island you can get a boat to.  If the Americans are that close attack them with every unit in range of course and grab all of the money.  After that things will begin to degenerate but with 50-60 IPCs on J4 you can at least match the American buy and hit a few Anzac and Indian boats.  Target transports and hold onto the money.  I’m not exactly sure what the US buys in this strategy, but players I’ve played against bought way too few transports and I was able to hold onto a bonus and some money for a few turns.

If Japan isn’t completely crippled by turn 6 than the Germans should be prepared to hit Moscow.  Britain doesn’t have enough strength to fight off Italy AND land a meaningful force in Europe.  Which reminds me, Germany should also sink the French boats in the med and land fighters in Italy turn one.  It’s not outrageous to see Italy collect 25 IPCs turn one and be close to 30 turn two.  Get that Middle East money and harass Egypt.

Now ladies and gentlemen please call me stupid and tell me this doesn’t make any sense. :-P

• You are GREATLY underestimating the payoff of a successful Sea-Lion, which would do the following for the Axis.

1. UK must build completely defensive in London, allowing Italians to crush Africa & Middle east.
    2. Germany gets a 5 IPC bonus for London
    3. Germany gets UK cash in hand
    4. Germany can focus 100% on Russia, no 2 front war. This is HUGE b/c Germany’s income with bonuses will be at 2:1 ratio over what Russia can field. Thats not even factoring help from the Italians.
    5. UK is no longer a threat in Africa, which means the Italians by this point should own it, and thus be the equivalent of a major power.
    6. Those transports give you great flexibility when attacking Russia, allowing you to move troops to the front much easier, particularly with respect to an assault on Leningrad.
    7. The US must now come to the rescue of the UK, which throws them off their 100% Pacific strategy, buying Japan valuable time

• Is defending a Sea Lion Possible??

• I believe so, check my British Anti-sealion strat.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I dont believe you can defend a Round 4 Sea Lion with England.

Anyway, the other benefit of Sea Lion is that Canada is in range of your new Naval Bases.

• Before this degenerates into yet another Sea Lion thread, I’ll comment on the original post.

I love that strategy.  Too many people on here are concerned far too much with the British and their fleet, and often spend tons of G1 and G2 money on fleet buys.  I’d rather buy mechanized infantry and air craft on G1 and G2.  Russia cannot repel 15+ German air craft coupled with huge infantry stacks in rounds 2, 3, and 4.  G5 is Moscow, and assuming you still have your aircraft, it’s a good chance to win.

For German fleet, ignore the British fleet around UK but kill the double Crusiers, and move your subs into the south Atlantic towards the African British colonies.  Make the British chase you - spread out and don’t ever stack your subs.  If you get the British to chase your subs alll the way to South Africa, you’ve succeeded.

I have among my strategy repetoire what I call the bowling ball attack.  Amass a huge stack of infantry for a round two attack on Eastern Poland (Germany 11, Southern 6 retreating from Yugoslavia, Poland 3, Slovakia 2, Romania 2) and build Mechanized each round to catch up to the stack while the zones add up correctly, and air craft after that, and move one zone each round like a bowling bowl rolling over zone after zone.  Russia is hard pressed to stop you.  America cannot land on Europe until round 6, so it can be over by then in USSR.

Italy finishes off Yugoslavia, takes Greece, Bulgaria, Syria, Transjordan, Tunisia, and Southern France, bringing Italy up to decent money (21) added to NO money (Med Ships)(26) puts you almost at parity with UK-London.  Italy wants to draw UK into a stalemate instead of allowing UK to make landings on Europe or Norway.

Too many people let themselves fall into the cookie-cutter one size fits all opening gambits, and forget that the established gambits have established counters.  The best way to win the game is developing a series of imaginative strategies and cycling through them.  You cannot do the same thing over and over.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The problem with Barbarossa, in my mind, is that you now have to defend the areas of Western Europe.

• @Cmdr:

The problem with Barbarossa, in my mind, is that you now have to defend the areas of Western Europe.

The British cant handle landings on Europe, keeping Africa, hunting down German subs, and the Italian fleet simultaneously, and their NOs are tied to their starting territories, not Normady.  They ignore the German subs at Africa, and they lose 8 IPCs a round.  Germany can easily handle any British landings through turn 6.  Starting on turn 6, Germany may need to cope with some american landings, but since America goes hard against Japan (as your KJF strat usually gets employed), it’s actually pretty easy for Germany to handle the defense of Western Europe.  The big fights in Russia are occuring around this time anyway, so a successful Germany in Moscow can easily retool and handle possible British landings.

• To Sea Lion or Not? Thai is the question? I have seen G1-2DD and 2TT full blown naval and air attack against UK. G2. 8TT 2Tank. G3 11 TT with 22 ground troops to Leningrad with a DOW and G3 build of subs, planes and INF. I still am unclear on how a G4 Sea Lion would work? Can anyone please write their builds and moves for the first four turns of this? Possibly even a G3 Sea Lion with builds and moves?

The Assyrian

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m