• Sponsor

I am using my old plastic AA Gun and IC pieces (I painted half black to represent Major ICs) for our Global games and I am now left with lots of cardboard counters I’m not using. However, I am contemplating using the AA Gun counters for a new unit I have been thinking of…… “Coastal Guns”. Basically they would roll a 1@1 for each surface warship that attempts to support an amphibious assault directly into the territory with the gun. I would make them $9 and the game would begin with 1 in Gibraltar and Southern Italy. Any Ideas for this new unit?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Would “surface warship” include transports?

• The one in Southern Italy could really hinder any UK strategy of pulling of a Taranto. I would recommend against it.

• Customizer

Would coastal guns prevent shore bombardment?  Or perhaps only if it scores a hit on the supporting warships?  For example, an amphibious force supported by 2 battleships gets fired on by a coastal gun.  The gun gets 1 hit which wounds 1 of the battleships and prevents it from bombarding.  The 2nd battleship can still bombard since it wasn’t hit.
    Also, I assume hits by coastal guns would be treated the same as any other naval battles.  Basically that capital ships take 2 hits to sink but cruisers and below are sunk with 1 hit.
    One other thing, do the coastal guns fire against all warships in an amphibious force or just the ships that can bombard (battleships and cruisers)?

• Sponsor

@Variable:

Would “surface warship” include transports?

No, that would be to powerful. Basically it would be a counter attack to bombardments, although it would not cancel out a bombardment, and ships that were hit still receive a casualty roll against scrabbling plane or a bombardment roll.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

Would coastal guns prevent shore bombardment?  Or perhaps only if it scores a hit on the supporting warships?  For example, an amphibious force supported by 2 battleships gets fired on by a coastal gun.  The gun gets 1 hit which wounds 1 of the battleships and prevents it from bombarding.  The 2nd battleship can still bombard since it wasn’t hit.
    Also, I assume hits by coastal guns would be treated the same as any other naval battles.  Basically that capital ships take 2 hits to sink but cruisers and below are sunk with 1 hit.
    One other thing, do the coastal guns fire against all warships in an amphibious force or just the ships that can bombard (battleships and cruisers)?

Costal guns would receive a 1@1 for every surface war ship entering an adjacent sea zone to conduct an amphibious assault. Ships can still bombard the shore and although the rules say that damaged battleships can still bombard, I don’t like it and prefer them incapable if damaged. Capital ships still require 2 hits to be destroyed. Planes may still be scrambled potentially drawing in extra warships. Coastal guns are facilities and they can get bombed using the SBR rules for bases. Coastal guns can became captured.

• Sponsor

@captainhook:

The one in Southern Italy could really hinder any UK strategy of pulling of a Taranto. I would recommend against it.

Not really because Toranto would be a naval attack and coastal guns may only be used during an amphibious landing. Besides, we’ve gotta represent the guns of Navarone.

• Customizer

@Young:

Costal guns would receive a 1@1 for every surface war ship entering an adjacent sea zone to conduct an amphibious assault.

So coastal guns can also hit carriers and destroyers even though those ships do not bombard?

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Young:

Costal guns would receive a 1@1 for every surface war ship entering an adjacent sea zone to conduct an amphibious assault.

So coastal guns can also hit carriers and destroyers even though those ships do not bombard?

If a carrier or a destroyer participates in an amphibious assault landing into a territory which has a coastal gun, they can be used to absorb hits from the gun. Reasons a carrier or destroyer would be used during an amphibious assault would be to help defend against scrambling aircraft, to attack a hostile sea zone from where the landing will take place, and to absorb hits from a coastal gun ( however, more ships means more salvos from the coastal gun).

• Customizer

That brings up another question.  Do the coastal guns simply roll 1 die for each enemy warship in one big roll?  OR, do they roll for each type of ship separately like AA Guns?

If it’s the former, then I could understand using destroyers to soak up hits to protect cruisers or battleships.  However, if it’s the latter, then it wouldn’t make much sense to send destroyers or carriers into that sea zone since they can’t bombard, the carriers could move in there in the NCM to retreive the planes and the coastal gun is going to get a crack at the cruisers and battleships anyway.

• im with it because you can always use a little extra protection against battleships and other things like that  :-D

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

That brings up another question.  Do the coastal guns simply roll 1 die for each enemy warship in one big roll?  OR, do they roll for each type of ship separately like AA Guns?

If it’s the former, then I could understand using destroyers to soak up hits to protect cruisers or battleships.  However, if it’s the latter, then it wouldn’t make much sense to send destroyers or carriers into that sea zone since they can’t bombard, the carriers could move in there in the NCM to retreive the planes and the coastal gun is going to get a crack at the cruisers and battleships anyway.

What do you think they should do, roll all at once and let the fleet decide what gets hit, or assign rolls to each ship. It’s hard to get the same effect as AA Guns because capital ships need 2 hits to sink. I hope alfa +3 takes away bombardments from damaged battleships. Carriers have strong consequences when damaged as should battleships.

• Here’s my coastal gun rules.
    cost = 8
    fire at 2 only in the first round fo combat against warship and transport.
    2 hit to destroy a coastal gun.

• i think they should be treated like a AA gun and cost 8 IPC’s

• Sponsor

@crusaderiv:

Here’s my coastal gun rules.
    cost = 8
    fire at 2 only in the first round fo combat against warship and transport.
    2 hit to destroy a coastal gun.

I’m not sure I would ever send my ships into a sea zone thats protected by a coastal gun with those numbers.

• I’m not sure I would ever send my ships into a sea zone thats protected by a coastal gun with those numbers.
    Naaaaaaaaaa……it seems terrifying but in the last 5 years, I believe only one of us lost 1 ships against a coastal gun.
    Don’t forget, Coastal gun fire only in the first round of combat.

• i think i would attack with planes and is like a ic where it needs to be build in a 2 or 3 point land???

@crusaderiv:

I’m not sure I would ever send my ships into a sea zone thats protected by a coastal gun with those numbers.
    Naaaaaaaaaa……it seems terrifying but in the last 5 years, I believe only one of us lost 1 ships against a coastal gun.
    Don’t forget, Coastal gun fire only in the first round of combat.

Those must be loaded dice. Firing a shot at each ship (including trans) at a 2 should cause 33% casualties. I wouldn’t take that risk either…

• Those must be loaded dice. Firing a shot at each ship (including trans) at a 2 should cause 33% casualties. I wouldn’t take that risk either…
    No only 1 dice…one dice for each ship is too much…non realistic…

Ah! That makes much more sense. In this case with just one die, I would say it would only target BBs or CAs as they are the ones moving close enough for shore bombardment. I guess you could target transports as well, but I think most people would rather lose a cruiser than a loaded transport.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m