• I have played about a dozen games of Alpha +2 (Axis usually wins, but that is another topic)

We have never used the kamikaze rules, not even once! In OOB, it wasn’t exactly clear how they were to be used properly, Alpha does clarify the kamikaze rules. But they seem kinda… cheap. I mean, I get six free Kamikaze rolls if the US combat move’s into sz 6? That’s… crazy. We just never opted to play with these, and my opponent and I play both the Axis and the Allies, so its fair either side.

Given that the Axis often win our games, we thought the kamikaze rules made the Axis even stronger. Just wondering if anybody out there thinks the same, or maybe you guys do use kamikaze? I just never see it factored in when people discuss Pacific strategy on this forum. With six kamikaze, you can really leave a smaller force on sz 6 then is normally required, and this changes the dynamics of the Pacific campaign. Thoughts?

• Sponsor

In most of the games that I play in and read about, the Japanese have a tough go. Not sure what is happening in your games and it’s not important seeing as everyone plays differently. However, Kamikaze is used in my games when ever Japan gets the chance, if it’s not being used when it should, it means that the Japanese player simply forgot to use them (which happens a lot). What I don’t understand in your games, is that even if Japan is winning why not use them. I have never heard of a player easing up on someone even if they were dominating them. The real issue though is, as interesting as the Kamikaze rules are (its fun watching Japan think about what ships to target), they are just “helpful” and not a large tilting factor (unless you roll with amazing luck).

• Yes all the time It easy to forget that you have them.  Write on a piece of paper “don’t forget the kamikaze” and throw it in the Japan box

• Customizer

Yeah, I will use the six Kamikaze if I remember to (I often forget about them).  While there are six sea zones that you can use kamikaze in, I usually end up using them in sea zone 6 when the US Navy is trying to invade Japan.  Usually if Japan has the opportunity to use the kamikaze, it means the war is going badly and the Allies are way too close to Japan.
    Also, I don’t see it as a huge extra for the Axis.  They only hit at 2 or less and capital ships still take 2 hits to sink.  It’s basically like getting six “surprise strikes” in one round of combat without having the subs.  Maybe it’s just unlucky dice but I’ve found they don’t hit very often.  On average, if I use all 6 in the same round, I will get 2 hits.  Plus, having to target which ships you go after BEFORE rolling the dice can be a disadvantage.  For example;  say you are going after a cruiser or destroyer which requires only 1 hit to sink.  You are not sure that 1 kamikaze will hit, so you choose 2 to go after that ship.  Then you roll and luckily get 2 hits.  Tough luck because they are applied to the same ship.  In other words, 1 hit kills the ship, the 2nd hit is simply wasted.

• I used them in my last game, the allies tried a 1-2-3 on the Jap fleet in sz6, so when the US attacked I sent 4 kamikaze’s, 2 at a bb and 1 each at 2 CA’s.  My 2 hits were on the bb!:)  When UK attacked I sent one more kamikaze against a CA and it hit!  This left me with 1 which I had planned to save in case my fleet was killed.  At least then I might have a chance at stopping a bombard attack with them.

I figured the best target for Kamikaze’s would be CAs, but I could see them being useful if your enemy is sending in a CV and has aircraft that must end the battle in the sz.  This way 1 hit on a CV strands those planes.

• Kamikazes are good for the game imho. Especially the fact that you may target particular ships.

Everybody tends to forget about them, including the US player. This way I was able to sink two loaded US carriers once!

• My strategy with Kamikaze strikes is to use the against the “buffer” ships.

When the Yankees engage Japan in a see battle it is usually pretty large scale. As a result, they tend to have quite a few cruisers and destroyers, that they use as casualties, to protect the planes, and carriers. Therefore, I would usually throw 1 kamikaze per 1-hit-ship. As my fleet tends to  also be of considerable size, I take out a few ships before they even get a chance to shoot AND I prevent them being used as buffer, therefore forcing my enemy to take out more “useful” units, in the first round of combat.

yaar!

• '10

Well, i now have more than 25 games of G40 Alpha +2 completed, and i NEVER, EVER got the chance to use Kamis… Not once !
    My opponents always send just transports and men to capture islands that would allow kamis, or if the sz are defended, they send just subs and planes, or when they finally threaten to invade sz6, they have such a large fleet that the best move for Japan is to leave sz6(leaving just 1 or 2dd doesn’t work since they will once again send just ss and planes during CM, then move the rest of their fleet on NCM).

Kamis can’t shoot at subs, transports and planes…So i’m waiting for the day one of my opponents will attack sz6 with not enough ships and planes so i can stay and fight and finally use Kamis !..

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m