August 23, 2014, 03:26:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help support TripleA software development. Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: World War II in Europe now at HBG  (Read 6241 times)
Koningstiger
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2014, 11:56:59 pm »

This looks really promising. An advanced type of A&A game with much more historically accurate rules and a map featuring terrain!

How does this map compare in size to the barbarossa and Global '39 maps?; both of which i own.

I suspect HBG offers it printed on vinyl, just like the above games?

Just how finalized is the game? To be quite honest, I'm a bit sick and tired of the regular A&A games by wizards being constantly horribly unbalanced and in need of major revisions upon release.

Thanks.
jim010
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

No one rivals Doom!!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:51 am »

Sorry, busy with work as of late.  I''l continue this game when things settle down.

There are 2 start dates - fall 1939 and spring 1941.  I have been wanting to get a set-up for spring 1943 but haven't had time.

There are now 2 sets of rules.  Basic is very much like A&A while advanced is quite a bit different.  The game I am outlining here is using the advanced rules.  Basic was introduced because there were those who didn't care for the deviation from the A&A mechanics and the complexity was a bit much for them.

Map size is 70 cm by 110 cm.  It is printed on vinyl.

My group has found that it is pretty balanced - especially the 1941 scenario.  So far there have been no 'buy this and do this and you win the game.

Mind you, we have played it enough that we have refined our tactics.  New players will take some time to figure out the nuances of the game.
Koningstiger
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2014, 07:32:18 am »

Sorry, busy with work as of late.  I''l continue this game when things settle down.

There are 2 start dates - fall 1939 and spring 1941.  I have been wanting to get a set-up for spring 1943 but haven't had time.

There are now 2 sets of rules.  Basic is very much like A&A while advanced is quite a bit different.  The game I am outlining here is using the advanced rules.  Basic was introduced because there were those who didn't care for the deviation from the A&A mechanics and the complexity was a bit much for them.

Map size is 70 cm by 110 cm.  It is printed on vinyl.

My group has found that it is pretty balanced - especially the 1941 scenario.  So far there have been no 'buy this and do this and you win the game.

Mind you, we have played it enough that we have refined our tactics.  New players will take some time to figure out the nuances of the game.

Thanks. A bit of complexity is no problem. Like I said, I really like the added terrain. If there are some rules about the advanced version I should really dislike (which i don't expect) I could always leave them out, I suppose or simplify them. OK, I'll wait for HBG's European distributor to have it available. Considerably cheaper shipping and no import duties.
Koningstiger
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:45 am »

Hi Jim010,

I've just bought this awesome looking map as I've always wanted a deeper variant of A&A with terrain rules etc.

I haven't played it yet, but I have some questions:

Looking at the cost and attack values of tanks, it seems to me they are of relatively little value, because:

* They are much more expensive than (mechanized) infantry, while the latter get defensive bonuses in terrain and behind a river, while a tank does not.
* While  tanks can take part in Blitzkrieg attacks (I really like the surprise attack, as without it such an attack would certainly be suicidal, i.e. exchanging expensive tanks and mechanized infantry against regular infantry in many cases...), they still seem very vulnerable to counter-attack when the same exchange would likely occur. Or can you redeploy friendly infantry to bolster your defenses in just captured territories. Would make sense actually as a turn is an entire season...
* Do tanks get attack bonuses when paired up with tac bombers? (Sorry, but I have so many A&A games and variants thereof that it's hard to keep track of which game does and which one doesn't. i noticed that it wasn't explicitly described in the rules).

Another question/ remark:

* Have you considered using weather effects per front in the advanced/ expert rules?

Example: Eastern front autumn: Roll a die: On a 1-2 apply Summer eastern front conditions; on a 3-4 apply Autumn conditions; on a 5-6 apply winter conditions

Summer: No effect (Use standard game rules)
Autumn: Due to muddy conditions, maximum movement is one (except for redeployment, which is unaffected); no blitzkrieg allowed.
Winter: All Axis units attack at -1 (to a minimum of "1")

And for Eastern front Spring:

On a 1-2 No effect (i.e. same a Summer conditions)
On a 3-4 Use autumn/ mud conditions
On a 5-6 use winter conditions.

Great looking map. My compliments. Looking forward to giving it a try!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

2014 Support Drive
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Field Marshal Games