A&A World Cup 2012 Discussion

Alright, we’ve been kicking around an idea for a future tournment where you play for your country like in the Soccer World Cup or Olympics.  Depending on interest and location of players we may do regions if certain countries don’t have enough players.  Also we’d have to find a way to narrow down the US players, but I some ideas to do that (mini tourneys to see who qualifies).  If you are familiar with the Little League world series we may even end up with something like that format.

The actual “World Cup” tournament would be teams of 3 (based on your country), where one player would play AA50-41, one would play Revised (or '42 setup), and one would play G40 (or Classic or some other game).  We still need to decide which 3 games would be played so I’m just using the above as an example.  Essentially your country would have to win 2 of the 3 games to advance.  
    And no, you can’t play all three for your country, you need 3 different players.  But yes, you could try to qualify in as many as you want (if qualifications are needed - more on that later after we guage interest).

As of right now, I’m assuming the 3 official games would be something like:  AA50-41, Revised (or '42), G40 (or Classic).  Play by forum format similar to our league and tournaments.  Please hold off questions on bidding, choosing sides etc.  I’d just like your thougts on overall format and games you’d consider playing in. Â

So in order to proceed we first need to gauge interest on who would play, what countries/regions are represented, and what game you’d play in, etc…

So if you are interested please list your name under the appropriate spot and which games you might play.  If you are in the US, please list your State as well.  Canada players list your province (or city).  We may have to do regions for US and Canada.

If you have comments please state them after the listing of regions.  Those signing up just copy and paste list into your post.  This is not an “official sign-up” but it is something you are interested in trying.

Sign-ups should be like this:

Name - location - games you would play.

(feel free to add more slots/regions if needed)

United States

1.  DarthMaximus - Illinois - Classic, Revised, Spring '42, AA50-41

Canada

Latin and South America

Europe

Asia

Africa

Pacific (Australia, New Zealand, etc)

–--------------------------------------------------------

• United States

1.  DarthMaximus - Illinois - Classic, Revised, Spring '42, AA50-41

Canada

Latin and South America

Europe

1.Amon Sûl - Croatia ( Central Europe) - Revised, Anniversary 41, Anniversary 42

Asia

Africa

–--------------------------------------------------------

• '10

Can anybody register for this tournament, or do you have to be an experienced player with plenty of games played on this site ?

If possible, i’d like to play for Canada, G40 only.

Tx.

@Axisplaya:

Can anybody register for this tournament, or do you have to be an experienced player with plenty of games played on this site ?

If possible, i’d like to play for Canada, G40 only.

Tx.

Anyone can play.  No you don’t need to be experienced with tons of games on this site.  I’d just encourage a pick-up game or two (just for fun to get used to this style for players not familiar with it).
    Or at least being familiar with PBEM or Play by forum.  I’m assuming most games will use ABattlemap (or TripleA).

Feel free to add your name to the list.

• '10

@DarthMaximus:

Anyone can play.  No you don’t need to be experienced with tons of games on this site.  I’d just encourage a pick-up game or two (just for fun to get used to this style for players not familiar with it).
    Or at least being familiar with PBEM or Play by forum.  I’m assuming most games will use ABattlemap (or TripleA).

By the time this tournament starts, i will have at least a dozen G40 games played by forum on this site.

United States

2.  JWW - MA - Revised, AA50-41

Canada

1. Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

Asia

Africa

• @Axisplaya:

@DarthMaximus:

Anyone can play.  No you don’t need to be experienced with tons of games on this site.  I’d just encourage a pick-up game or two (just for fun to get used to this style for players not familiar with it).
    Or at least being familiar with PBEM or Play by forum.  I’m assuming most games will use ABattlemap (or TripleA).

By the time this tournament starts, i will have at least a dozen G40 games played by forum on this site.

United States

3.  Ol’Blood&Guts - Michigan by way of Tenn - A50-41, Spring '42, G40

Canada

1. Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

Asia

Africa

• WHY DO YOU IGNORE ME  :-o

• United States

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

1.Amon Sûl - Croatia ( Central Europe) - Revised, Anniversary 41, Anniversary 42

Asia

Africa

1.  The Definitive S - New Zealand - G40

• Are they team games with  3 people on each team or is it solo. You could just enter a few teams of three for the US and Canada but I dont know how fair that would with total number of teams. Spose it will be like the Olympics , like in the 100m where they enter 5 USA, 4 Jamaican teams  etc. How far away is it is there still a bit more planning to do.

• In the family of possible games, things like AARe could also be interesting. At least I would be ^^

United States

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

2. Yoshi - France - Revised, Anniversary 41 or 42, eventually something else

Asia

Africa

1.   The Definitive S - New Zealand - G40

• United States

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

2. Captain Kong - Norway ( Northen Europe)- G 40

Asia

Africa

• United States

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

1. Amon Sûl - Croatia ( Central Europe) - Revised, Anniversary 41, Anniversary 42
    2. Captain Kong - Norway ( Northen Europe)- G 40
    3. Funcioneta - Spain (Southern Europe) - Revised, G40 OOB

Asia

Africa

Yep, I don’t want to play competitive AA50 (way unbalanced). Still, I could change my mind with G40 OOB if Larry makes alpha series definitive (I’m not a WOTC tester)  :-)

United States

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

1. Amon Sûl - Croatia ( Central Europe) - Revised, Anniversary 41, Anniversary 42
    3. Captain Kong - Norway ( Northen Europe)- G 40
    4. Funcioneta - Spain (Southern Europe) - Revised, G40 OOB

Asia

Africa

–---------------------

Updated list.
    Added Yoshi back in.

@TheDefinitiveS:

Are they team games with  3 people on each team or is it solo. You could just enter a few teams of three for the US and Canada but I dont know how fair that would with total number of teams. Spose it will be like the Olympics , like in the 100m where they enter 5 USA, 4 Jamaican teams  etc. How far away is it is there still a bit more planning to do.

The actual games will be one-on-one, but each “team” will need a player that plays (example only):
    Player 1 - plays Revised
    Player 2 - plays AA50
    Player 3 - plays Global

This is still quite a bit down the road.  We first have to see if there is enough interest and beyond that we have to see if some of the less played games have enough interest online to warrent being played.  I think we could get enough players for Revised, but beyond Revised (or the newer '42) and Anniversary, I’m really not sure about the other versions which is why I need to see what people are playing.

If everything sort of goes well and we do have interest, I think we probably start narrowing the field down this fall (maybe late summer).  I’d like to give a long time for sign-ups and discussion since we’ve never tried this before.  Looks like we could have a lot of European players too.  We might need multiple teams if we need to get to 8 or 16 or something.  In that case it might be possible to split the US to East and West or something.  And we could do that with Europe too, if individual countries can’t pull in the numbers, but we have lots of scattered European players.  I’m hoping we can have the official teams/countries/regions set by the end of the year.

• This is a cool idea….doesnt the NFL have a way of making massive amounts of teams play each other. You could have one of those 2nd chance pools or is that getting complicated?

@TheDefinitiveS:

This is a cool idea….doesnt the NFL have a way of making massive amounts of teams play each other. You could have one of those 2nd chance pools or is that getting complicated?

It really depends on how many teams we end up with.  Yeah, I don’t want things to get too complicated so if we get 8 teams (2 US, 2 Canada, 2 Europe, 2 other international) a simple single elimation tourney would probably work best.  But we might be able to do some different things depending on how many actually sign up.

It would be kind of a bummer to go through all this and then have some teams eliminated in rd 1 and be done.  So maybe we would do something for eliminated teams.

• '16

United States

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)
    2.  PGMatt (classic, revised, AA50, Global)

Latin and South America

Europe

Asia

Africa

–---------------------

• @PGMatt:

United States

4.  Soul - chicago - aa50, aae40

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

Asia

Africa

–---------------------

• 2007 AAR League

this looks like fun, i’m in.  USA by way of the motor city.  AA50 41-42, revised, classic

hey this G40.  is this a global game where no allies every country for it’s self.  is there a map or actual board?

United States

4.  Soul - chicago - aa50, aae40
    5.  Mojo - Detroit - AA50-41-42, Revised, Classic

Canada

1.  Axisplaya (G40 only)

Latin and South America

Europe

Asia

Africa

–---------------------

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m