• The wording of the Denmark straits rule means that prior to Barbarossa, Russian ships can leave the Baltic(or enter) if given permission by the German player.  First off, is it beneficial to Russia or Germany to have the Russian fleet mass in the Baltic or Atlantic?  Is it possible for Germany to only allow surface ships or subs through, but block ships of their choice?

I’m curious what people think is the benefits of massing the Russian ships in Baltic or Atlantic.

• In our games the German navy tends to be stationed just outside the Danish straight. That renders the Russian fleet useless.

If the Germans don’t get a detroyer, the northern Russian sub can should be stationed off of Norway where there is a convoy box.

• Is there an advantage to letting any Russians out of the baltic?  Or letting the northern sub in?  In our games the German controls who enters and goes, its not an all or nothing proposition, perhaps thats wrong.

Really surprised this isn’t gaining any attention, I guess most people disregard that 32 ipcs.  Odd since my russian fleet units tend to pay for themselves in either blocking or attacking duties.

What do people do with the fleet units when Germany goes full barbarossa(no carrier build) do you plan on sinking baltic fleet when barbarossa begins?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I use this fleet as a nuisance fleet.  And to block the amphibious invasion of Karelia via the Baltic.

Past that…. there’s not much this fleet can do.  Building into it is sometimes cool, if Germany is going hard sea-lion.

• It might seem like a waste but I like to move my russian BB one space out from the coast, this give you an extra turn to prepare against a german amphibious assult.

• Unless the Italians take out the BB.

• @Peck:

It might seem like a waste but I like to move my russian BB one space out from the coast, this give you an extra turn to prepare against a german amphibious assult.

If im correct this wont work if you are not at war, since the germans can ignore you. They will move straight past you to the coast, and then do an amphibious assault. At that point war will be declared.

Ofc, if you are at war its another thing :)

The second they declare war on you, all your units become active, and they càn`t just bypass your ship.

You can also stall them out, if you start in the same zone as them, as they won`t be able to pickup units in that zone, if they declare war.

• @whatamistaketomake:

If im correct this wont work if you are not at war, since the germans can ignore you. They will move straight past you to the coast, and then do an amphibious assault. At that point war will be declared.

Ofc, if you are at war its another thing :)

DOW’s happen before any moves are made

• @Gargantua:

You can also stall them out, if you start in the same zone as them, as they won`t be able to pickup units in that zone, if they declare war.

nice, that is a tactic I did not know.  I’m in a game now where I have 1 russian sub stuck in baltic.  The German is just ignoring that sea and helping Italy with controlling the Med.  Because Germany goes right before Russia, it will be almost impossible to have Denmark on the Russian turn, meaning any ships in the Baltic are locked in.  In this case it looks like its better to get those ships out of the Baltic if the German will let you.

If Russia amphibs Denmark, can the sub from the baltic then escape in noncom?

No, you need to hold it for a turn to escape :S

• well then, it seems the best option for those Russian ships is to try and get red oktober outta the Baltic, use the BB to block inside the baltic, and use your subs (and a lvl bmb outta Lenningrad) to control norway sz.

• i generally just use the russian fleet to keep the german player honest.  Was fun one game the german player attacked and destroyed an american fleet but forgot to leave anything in berlin and the russian player captured it.

• Russian ships are defensive, either against an invasion to Novgorod or on the other side if Germany plans sea lion

• The conclusion to this thread was that its best to get the russian sub outta the Baltic, but leave the bb for blocking purposes.

• @Henz:

i generally just use the russian fleet to keep the german player honest.  Was fun one game the german player attacked and destroyed an american fleet but forgot to leave anything in berlin and the russian player captured it.

my friend did the same fail

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m