• has anyone ever considered launching a W/Eur invasion from the E/US? i was trying to figure out a way that you could build up your trannies safe from German Fighters, and this suddenly poped into my head. The US builds the trannies on the east coast, and some INF, or armor or whatever. then launches their trannies to W/Eur. meanwhile the brits have been building a massive fighter armada, which they use to weaken the W/Eur forces before the US attack. if they want, the UK could build a carrier the turn before and land fighters on it to protect the trannies, so units can be ferried later from UK to reinforce the Western front

• Are you sure you mean E/US? Because that’s where they get built most of the time. I think you mean west coast. It would keep them safe from fighters, but at the cost of an extra turn.

• all the games ive played, the trannies have been built in the UK. the germans have never sent more than 1 or 2 fighters after them at a time. with enough cash you can slowly kill the german fighters. my games have the US devoting all $ to the pacific. its works ok. this way the UK can shoot all its fighters over beforehand

• The UK ftrs would be slaughtered in WEu. Inf are for fodder. Arm & ftr are for killing, not dying!

Logistics and $ are important(I’m sure you know.)

Use ftr and arm with inf or land the ftr after the landing is successful…for defense.

• For the German fighters remember Germany cannot really afford to buy fighters, at least not for the first few turns (if the German player is good, he’ll buy either all INF with the occasional tank thrown in for spoiling attacks).

Hehe as an American the offer to go after Normandy is quite tempting. And of course its historical value is always present, but I would let the British look after that and if I was playing as America job #1 is getting the Pacific Fleet over to the Atlantic UKSZ or so, and esp getting troops into Africa to liberate it. Remember, and I cannot stress this enough, that with Africa under her control it gives Germany 7-9 or so IPC (depending on what they take) and at the same time depletes UK of those. So Germany now has around 40+ while the UK has gone down to the low 20’s. This is, quite simply, very bad for the Allies. If the UK can’t get troops over into Russia or build the Navy to lanuch an attack on WEu or so, Germany can and WILL eventually take Russia since they will be producing more INF every turn and will eventually have more INF and enough tanks.

So rather than the idea of going after Normandy (unless you get the fleet together and the German fighters are pretty much gone and WEu is woefully undermanned) I would suggest use America to retake Africa (AND REMEMBER Japan is going to be going there eventually) and then help with the overall war shipping troops to FIN/Norway or Karelia as the case may be.

• I tried that strategy in a game I just played. Some problems were:

• I went to early - Germany could afford to bring in troops from the East to counter-attack (my fault, not the strategy’s :oops: )

• The British softening-up air atack did not go well, I lost a bomber and a fighter for minimal German loss

• The British air-attack was also unecessary. The US Invasion force was more than enough to overcome the German troops in WE. Using you air as a stand alone attack basically just gives Germany the opportunity to shoot down some planes cheaply. You do not have any infantry to sacrifice!

it could end the game quicker…nice idea M-4…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m