• After 3-4 games of Global, my friends and I have took it for granted that Air/Naval Bases could build their corresponding units.  For 15 IPC… we thought they could build 3 air/naval units a turn, but restricted to building just that.  (They can take same amount of damage as a Minor.)  We just stuck the pieces together and natually thought that’s how it is.

Don’t you guys find it a little odd that they can’t build units??  Don’t you find it wasteful to build a air/naval complex when all you need is minor/majors?  Don’t you think they should lower the cost on them when they’re 3 more IPC than a Minor??  :?

• 1. No, it would be odd if they could.

2. No, they have completely different purposes. If you think all you need is ICs, you should read the rules on what air and naval bases actually do.

3. Again, no. They are worth their price.

• Agreed

• @Kobu:

1. No, it would be odd if they could.

2. No, they have completely different purposes. If you think all you need is ICs, you should read the rules on what air and naval bases actually do.

3. Again, no. They are worth their price.

Cause… building an Airplane out of an Airbase is odd…  :?

The board starts off with enough Naval/Air bases to provide your services of movement/repair/scramble… a turn 3 India crush maybe for Japan.

Can you explain to me how you see their worth the price?  (We’ve always known what the bases did, we just assumed the building.)

• Factories build planes.  Airbases are runways, hangars, fuel depots and ammunition storage.  I’m not seeing your connection at all.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It changes major dynamics of the game.  Going WAY back.

You cannot build a factory on a territory with a value of 0 - 2, or that is an island.  Now suddenly, I can build units in the middle of nowhere.

Hell, the RUSSIANS could build a naval base in the SFE, and pump out a sub a turn into the pacific, doesn’t that seem odd to you?  Not to mention front line American ship production in the phillipines INSTANTLY., and in other places.

Do you really want to see Germans building off of Gibraltar?

AB and NB at the strategic game level I play have massive value, and are often bought.  (Atleast 2 or 3 a game)  Without this added airbase/naval base question.

Where I think you draw the connection, is probably from old video games like command and conquerer, where you literally build an airbase to build planes etc.  Or a dockyard to build ships (Warcraft, AOE).

Thanks but no thanks.

• @Graunie:

Factories build planes.  Airbases are runways, hangars, fuel depots and ammunition storage.  I’m not seeing your connection at all.

Ditto.

In the same vein, Drydock factories build naval units which are then based out of Naval yards which house docks, fuel and ammo depots and support buildings, but not manufacturing facilities.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m