IL's Global Revised unit values ideas

• Here is a new and to me more effective modeling of the basic units in Global 40.

Infantry are now 1-1-1 and cost 3 or cost 2 for 5 IPC. So with 40 IPC you can buy 16 infantry.

Infantry can be boosted on attack or defense by any other land unit to 2. So they can be either a 2-1-1 or a 1-2-1 unit. Every boost is a matching 1:1 basis.

Artillery now are 3 in first round and 2 every other round. 2-2-1 and now cost 5 IPC. They have a special ability: IN the first round if they roll a ONE, they can force the loss of a non- infantry defending unit.

Mechanized Infantry are 2-2-2-4. Enough said.

Tanks are 3-3-2-6

Tank Destroyers are 3-2-2-6 units. They have a special ability: IN the first round if they roll a ONE, they can force the loss of a non- infantry defending unit.

Heavy tanks are 4-4-1-8. They can move 2 in NCM only. Due to the fuel they use and that they are mechanically slow and often breakdown, they move 1 in combat.

Fighters remain at 3-4-4-10

Fighter Bombers are now 3-3-4-12 units. If the enemy has no FIGHTERS at the start of any round, they now attack at 4

Bombers are now 4-2-6-15 units. Thats right they went up in price. Reason: in SBR they roll a D10. Also they now defend at 2.

Heavy Bombers are now 5-3-8-18 units. In SBR they roll a D12

If you want to add Trucks to the game here are the rules: Trucks cost 3 IPC each. Procedure: all your trucks are placed in your controlled areas each turn just before the movement phase. Each truck you place lets one land unit to “slide” to the next space and not count that as a space moved thru.

Trucks are like transports, so they need to be protected. If you left 5 of them alone in a space and the enemy allocated a plane to attack, all 5 would be lost.

Questions just ask and you don’t have to use all the extra units, but they add alot of flavor.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Fighters remain at 3-4-6-10

I assume that’s a typo?

Interesting rules variant.  I’ll have to try some of these.

• Tank destroyers shoudl have a defensive and not ofensive bonus since their strength is at defending.

AS for infantry 1-1-1-3 doesn’t that render it like totally useless? I already don’t use much infantry but liek that I would prolly never buy one again.

• AS for infantry 1-1-1-3 doesn’t that render it like totally useless? I already don’t use much infantry but liek that I would prolly never buy one again.

Thats the best part. Infantry is only decent if it has combined arms fighting with it. You need to buy units to boost it and infantry for fodder, except combat is now the domain of who has the more complete army.

It makes no sence to me that an army of just infantry can take out an army of tanks and lose less as a result.

Also, you now have ways of killing units besides infantry

Also, i have simplified the combined arms rules. ALL UNITS CAN BOOST INFANTRY. no more of this helps this , but that helps another unit, and you got all these things to deal with.

Infantry is the basic unit and all more expensive land units can boost it either way.

Artillery is where it should be: bombard the battlefield to prepare the ensuing battle. It can on the first salvo surprise an enemy position with its accuracy and take out artillery or a tank. Perfect.

It costs 5 because of this ability.

Tactical bombers are now fixed: it makes no sence that they fight better with a fighter, but it makes sence that if unmolested, they can target units at will and get a better shot because enemy fighters are not harassing them.

• How about artillery doing preemtive attacks every round on attack and defence. could thin out stacks of infantry quicker and resolve combat quicker. also, very realistic,

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I like most, but what to point out some alterations to a couple.

Tank-destroyers removed, function transfered to Tactical Bombers, it is in line with what I envision them to be anyway - heavy fighters for use against ground targets like the A-10 Warthog of today.

Artillery do not fire at 3 on the first round, they fire from the adjacent territory and can use their movement points during Non-Combat movement (despite firing in combat!)  I have a very hard time picturing Germany moving Howitzers into the trenches to fire on the enemy! lol  Rather, I kinda picture artillery as huge gun emplacements with massive range, so why not have them support infantry from the adjacent zone, once the zone is pacified, if the Artillery want to move in, great, else they can move somewhere else.

Meanwhile, this would be a HUGE improvement to Russia, whom I personally feel has not been buffed as much as the other nations in the alphas.  Now Russia wouldn’t have to buy so many planes to trade territories with, they could use massive gun emplacements and keep them stationary while supporting infantry charges. (Also more in line with my vision of Russian tactics.)

• How about artillery doing preemptive attacks every round

way too strong for a cheap unit. The only unit that might get something like that would be an expensive unit like a BB.

• @Imperious:

If you want to add Trucks to the game here are the rules: Trucks cost 3 IPC each. Procedure: all your trucks are placed in your controlled areas each turn just before the movement phase. Each truck you place lets one land unit to “slide” to the next space and not count that as a space moved thru.

Trucks are like transports, so they need to be protected. If you left 5 of them alone in a space and the enemy allocated a plane to attack, all 5 would be lost,

I don’t suppose you can use chains of trucks, where you park 1 each on a series of adjacent territories to make a single infantry move 3 or more spaces.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

That is EXACTLY what he is implying.

• I don’t suppose you can use chains of trucks, where you park 1 each on a series of adjacent territories to make a single infantry move 3 or more spaces.

Well yes. But each truck in each area can only move one unit thru the spaces. SO if you got like 10 trucks connected in 10 adjacent spaces, you can move that one unit 10 spaces. But for this you need to buy all the trucks and have them setup. I doubt many situations would be like that. More likely, the German player for example may buy two in Poland and each space it controls along its route to attack Moscow. Remember these trucks are like naval transports. If the enemy sends planes to attack and they are unprotected, he can wipe out the ‘link’ in the chain.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Imperious:

How about artillery doing preemptive attacks every round

way too strong for a cheap unit. The only unit that might get something like that would be an expensive unit like a BB.

Oh, it was not an opening fire thing, at least I did not mean it that way.  I meant it more as the Artillery can attack a zone without moving into the zone if the battle is won.  It can also be taken as a casualty as per normal rules.

It was more of a “Russia keeps getting screwed harder and harder and harder” thing so “let’s fix it to give them a break” as Russia primarily can use a stronger unit for trading territories, but it would not unbalance things because everyone would have it. (Well, it might, it might rebalance, but in either case, the most significant impact would be to give Artillery a boost to Russia.)

In regards to the plane, it is already more expensive than a but still essentially a fighter.  If you want to give dictatorial rights to what is hit by a specific unit, when it hits, I think the Tactical Bomber is the best choice short of a Battleship.

• I meant it more as the Artillery can attack a zone without moving into the zone if the battle is won.

Yes this was considered. Its basically an idea from Jeffs Game World War Two: The game. IN ww2 they had artillery duels, so my modeling of this was the attack and defense at 3 but only the first round, artillery is fine as a 2-2-1-4 unit, but to jazz it up and since its now not the only unit that can boost infantry it needs this special identity. Hitting at a 1 only in the first round is a acknowledgment of its ability to target and surprise the enemy at start of the battle. Once the battle starts its regulated to support duty, but in the opening of a battle it is indispensable military asset. This added benefit means it must now be at 5 IPC.

• I like the idea of veteran infantry. I will always want the British SAS, US Marine Core, or Waffen SS fighting on my side (YES ALL OF THEM!). Also I’ve never like mechs. I think they should have just made trucks. A bit more complitcated but interesting.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m