Quick Answer Please on Sub question…

• If a submarine ONLY does a surprise strike on a carrier WITH aircraft and hits, are the planes in the air or are they stuck on board???

• '10

Depends : if the fighters belongs to the same power than the carrier.

Exemple : US Carrier with US fighters: planes are in the air and have 1 movement to land.

UK carrier with US fighters : planes are considered cargo and are sunk with the carrier.

• @Axisplaya:

Depends : if the fighters belongs to the same power than the carrier.

Exemple : US Carrier with US fighters: planes are in the air and have 1 movement to land.

UK carrier with US fighters : planes are considered cargo and are sunk with the carrier.

Not exactly.

On Offense:  If the carrier performed a combat move and attacked, then friendly power planes are cargo.  Planes that belong to the carrier’s power have whatever movement points remain to find a landing space.

On Defense:  If the sub attacked the carrier, ALL planes, regardless of owner, are in the air have have one movement to land.

• I don’t think I explained correctly in my haste.  We were in the turn when it happened……

Here is how it breaks down.

US attack move

Japan has the following in a sea zone.
    1 X Battleship
    2 X Carrier with 2 fighters each
    NO DESTOYERS!!!

US sneak attacks with 3 subs ONLY and hits all 3.

Because the sneak attacks happen BEFORE normal combat (which a carriers planes would be in the air), shouldn’t the carriers have there operations suspended and aircraft stuck on the flight deck?  The airplanes wouldn’t be in the air on a sneak attack.

Now, if the subs only hit one of them, Japan could take the hit on the Battleship and declare the planes in the air.

This makes much more sense as to how combat would go.  In the old rules, the Carriers AND the planes would just be dead on sneak attacks.

Thanks,

• Official Q&A

Defending carrier planes are always in the air.  This has been true in all A&A games except the Nova version.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m