• is it worth spening lots of ipc’s conqeuring and holding africa when these ipc’s could be put to good use on another front

• It is worth putting effort into Africa.
    For the Axis, Germany gains the IPC’s it will need to fight the combined Allied attacks. Germany’s effort in Africa should be limited however, not to threaten European security. Japan can also send troops after taking South-East Asia, linking up with the Germans in Persia. The longer the Axis can hold Africa, the better the odds they can win.
    For the Allies, the same is true. Half of the UK’s NP is in Africa, it is necessary for the UK/US forces to take Africa back ASAP to regain UK NP strength and use Africa as a staging point to hit South-East Asia or back up the Russians.
    One of the few parallels this game seem to has with WWII is the fact that the Allies seem to have to regain Africa and the Med before attacking Europe. The Axis are well aware of this. You usually don’t see an effective A&A D-day until Africa is liberated…

• If the Axis can join hands in Persia, then the game is over for the Allies. However, without adequate reinforcements, Germany can only hold out 3 turns at most against American landings at Algeria or French West Africa. The best way to prevent Allied landings are to position your planes in Western Europe so you can attack any undefended transports. If you’re Germany, keep your transports alive, as 2-4 inf. per turn will serve as the lifeline in Africa before Japan can arrive.

• Well, Germany is going to be forced to give up Ukraine and Finland. Theres no way around it. If this happens, without Africa Russia makes more money than Germany. Germany needs the extra money from Africa to make up for the loss, and deprive Britain of it’s money.

• Africa is a great way to get some extra IPCs, but I dont think you should send in extra men to hold it. You need those men to help in an assult against russia. From what ive seen Japan should spend more time attacking russia and china instead of making it to persia. Russia is more dangerous then most people think.

• I like to take Africa as Germany, then once India has been taken, (or evacuated), take a transport or two to go take new zealand, austrailia, madagascar, and then drop the remaining troops in Africa for defense. Hey, if I have an extra man and tranny, I might even use Yanny’s idea and put an IC in switzerland!

• moving this to the axis and allies forum

• On 2002-02-15 05:01, Usul513 wrote:
    I like to take Africa as Germany, then once India has been taken, (or evacuated), take a transport or two to go take new zealand, austrailia, madagascar, and then drop the remaining troops in Africa for defense. Hey, if I have an extra man and tranny, I might even use Yanny’s idea and put an IC in switzerland!

Man, who are you playing against? If it’s a human being, then I must request a briefing of your strategy–these results are incredible! I figure its a good game if I (as Germany) still have a Navy on the last turn…

Ozone27

• If you’re Germany, you need to take Africa to win the game unless you’re playing a complete amateur. If Germany doesn’t strengthen their position in Africa on the first turn, there is nothing to stop the British from building an IC in South Africa. When that happens, Germany has no chance of taking Africa. Not only does giving Africa to the UK let them keep IPCs they badly need, but a steady flow of British armor rolling up through the Suez Canal by turn 3 is bad, bad news for the Axis.

• It seems to me that a combined US/UK attack on Africa can liberate it pretty quickly. Unless I’m missing something, as Germany you can’t get at all allied transports unless you get lucky on dice rolls. It only takes a few men to knock Germany out of Africa. If nothing else, how does Germany get at Africa without a fleet in the Mediteranean(sp?), if you catch my drift.

• Africa WILL be taken by the Allies, the real question for the Axis is when. Trust me, 5-4 planes and a bomber go a long way towared protecting the German fleet and delaying the Allies’ advance until they can safeguard their transports.

• about the transports- atlantic sub can take the america one, all others can be reached by planes, I too feel africa is key, some people said it is a waste to pump men in here, but you’ll throw away literally hundreds of IPC’s to take 3 IPC karelia, when a fraction of that gets you an easy ten IPC’s cripples britian (basically eliminating them), and then allows you to slog it out with stalin, who by now should have his eyes on the japanese in china…. hypothetically of course…

• Using the German sub to attack the US transport? Isn’t that a little risky? I rather use it as fodder for my attack on the English Channel. Also, I can’t understand, why Kerilia has to be taken. Africa is worth a lot more at a lot less and Russia can just counterattack Kerilia if it falls. Of course if America goes all out on Africa, then you might have a problem with this strat.

• see I have this “crazy” notion that africa is unimportant. Of course, the extra, what is it 9, 10 ipcs? per turn can definetely help but I figure that most games are over by turn 4 or 5 so that it really doesn’t matter who controls africa. If the allies send trannies with men and tanks to liberate then they are giving european germany a chance to breath. Thus, they must focus completely on western europe so that germany must divert forces in that directoin, takign pressure off of russia and so on. I usually send a plane down from eastern europe to help the tank and man in africa on T1 but i immediately send him back T2 and thats the last i hear of it… (by the way i don’t remember who said it but if the uk player builds an ic in south africa they’re just retarded and so it doesn’t matter what else they do you should just roll all over them :smile:

• Yes, a 1 ftr. in Egypt would definitly help out the situation in Africa. The only problem is that a German player might attack Egypt anyways with 3 inf and 1 arm. and throw in 1 ftr. However, the loss of a ftr. would more likely hamper Russia’s offensive capability then Germany’s.

• On 2002-02-18 21:48, Ozone27 wrote:

Man, who are you playing against? If it’s a human being, then I must request a briefing of your strategy–these results are incredible! I figure its a good game if I (as Germany) still have a Navy on the last turn…

Ozone27

The part about IC in Switzerland and taking Austrailia was refering to the Japanese and what they could do to help Germany and lower UK’s income, sorry if I wasn’t clear

• The Allies can temporarily not reinforce Africa if they are able to keep a good production by taking other territory. Namely, Finland-Norway. If they can’t then Africa will become much more important. The UK must buy a complex in Africa, India or Australia to protect its colonies. There are times when it is beneficial to let the Germans initially advance in Africa in favor of concentrating on other fronts. This can happen if UK strengthens India and is able to wipe most Japanese forces off of mainland Asia. So, though the UK loses IPCs initially in Africa, it will gain them in Asia, and its production will stay about the same. Then, if Asia is protected enough, UK and USA can team up and retake Africa. BUT, like someone else mentioned, taking Africa must be done before invading Europe.

• Why not take Africa and reinforce Russia at the same time? Mind you Africa is realtively easy to knock out provided you take out the German Navy on turns 2 or 3.

• On 2002-02-10 12:52, TG Moses VI wrote:
    If the Axis can join hands in Persia, then the game is over for the Allies. However, without adequate reinforcements, Germany can only hold out 3 turns at most against American landings at Algeria or French West Africa. The best way to prevent Allied landings are to position your planes in Western Europe so you can attack any undefended transports. If you’re Germany, keep your transports alive, as 2-4 inf. per turn will serve as the lifeline in Africa before Japan can arrive.

not all the time…the opposite happened in one game i played!

usually i lose the german transport to the british BB, and so all i have is 2 inf, one tank, and one fighter to take africa. they can pull it off, but if the allies divert forces that way, you can’t stop them…but europe is safe a little while longer.

• Hmmm… what particular battle are you committing your transport to? Are you making sure you knock out all of UK’s navy T1? Is this with two hit bbs?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m