• 9th game completed tonight.   That’s 9-0 allies.

Taranto Raid is a standard which cuts off Italy from doing anything.

German factory in Romania, no factory?  Doesn’t matter.

Sea Lion?   Delays the inevitable.

J1/2/3 attacks.  Russia attacking Korea / holding the line / withdrawing some and picketing the rest.

Russian Transports landing in Norway are becoming the norm on non-Sealion games, causing a 17 IPC swing.

Alpha setup?  Makes an uphill climb into Everest for the Axis.

Our group contends that if you have players of relatively the same ability playing both sides, and the standards are followed, there is little to no chance of an axis win.

Solutions were are kicking around:

Split US income just like UK.    52 for a KGF is impossible to deal with.   82 is even worse.

Putting a Minor in Romania from the start.

Adding Axis airpower in Europe

Eliminating French Units

Making French units Vichy when Paris falls

Removing the minor IC from S. Italy

Not sure what combo of these to try first…

• Poor axis powers. :cry:

• I think that a couple of the following changes could help considerably:

-Bring Italy into the war I1, and make declaring war upon Italy previous to this impossible

-Change Axis victory conditions: they win if Japan takes 6 VCs OR the Euro Axis take 8 VCs

-Add German tanks to Africa

-Split the US income with the boards. The NO money goes to Pacific side

-Add some subs to Italy’s navy

I personally would do 1 and 4 OR 4 and 5. And I’m not going to because the people I play with are green compared to you guys, so it’s unnecessary.

• TripleA

Change Axis victory conditions: they win if Japan takes 6 VCs OR the Euro Axis take 8 VCs

this is the best solution i have thought of so far. it also stops the usa from spending all on one theater.

• @allweneedislove:

Change Axis victory conditions: they win if Japan takes 6 VCs OR the Euro Axis take 8 VCs

this is the best solution i have thought of so far. it also stops the usa from spending all on one theater.

It probably would work really well, but I feel it would take away from the Global feel of the game. Already, the two sides, Europe and Pacific, keep mostly to themselves, so I don’t want Axis to have separate goals too.

• The axis has one once for sure outta 6 games… most games have to be done as a result of people leaving but the people I play with arnt very good

• The axis have always had it harder. In this game germany needs to use their armor and mech as mobile killimg machines. Japan’s fighters must know where to be a turn ahead of time.  Get that down and the allies will have their hands full.

In my current game as the Axis I have turned down two 70 pip germany 80 pip russia moscow battles because I the axis feel japan is getting stronger every turn more so than the americans are.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Every game of global I have played(5), against different players and groups, I played as Germany every time, and won. So it is winnable!

I agree with all of you though, the Axis has the steepest climb it’s ever seen, and it’s difficult.  But my arguement is that they have to be the most creative, and know what objectives are the most important.

I also find that Germany must do everything in it’s power to baby Italy, to make Italy viable as quickly as possible.

Also, I am a FIRM believer that you have to keep Russia and the U.S. out AS LONG as possible, and that you HAVE to take the London unless the U.K. dumps EVERY possible unit and resource into defending it.

Don’t be a psy and just throw your hands in the air.  Switch it up, and try different things.

Also, I’ve never bothered building or upgrading a complex with Germany, I think it’s a waste of money, until possibly very LATE in the game, or if magical circumstances permit it.  It’s better spent on Air power or Navy.

• I really wish TripleA worked…

• @MaherC:

I really wish TripleA worked…

Agreed, but if wishes were horses….

• @MaherC:

Split US income just like UK.    52 for a KGF is impossible to deal with.   82 is even worse.

If USA ignores Japan, Japan should assault mainland America as crazy: convoy raids, massive land attacks … even SBRs if you can base bombers in Alaska. If Japan wins the Pacific war at time, allies are toasted, specially if USA doesn’t fight the war in first place

The key here is remember that, in game terms, Tokyo is nearer to America than to Moscow. And I mean America, not only the United States. Try even for Panama or Mexico if you can!

• Remember, in the alpha setup, Japan starts w/1 TR.  If they spend money to waste on a US landing, that only helps UKP/Anz/US more.

• @MaherC:

Remember, in the alpha setup, Japan starts w/1 TR.  If they spend money to waste on a US landing, that only helps UKP/Anz/US more.

Actually, they start with 2

• 27 games played, 24 Allied wins to 3 Axis.  I feel your pain.  The US IPC’s are just too freakin high.  I’m leaning in the direction of removing the naval base at Gibraltar or forbidding a Norway factory from deploying units directly into the Baltic.

• @MaherC:

Remember, in the alpha setup, Japan starts w/1 TR.   If they spend money to waste on a US landing, that only helps UKP/Anz/US more.

So what? Alpha setup is not official yet and is possible that could be changed. Anyway, 1-2 more trannies is something that Japan can afford, and you’re going to buy them anyway even if case that you choose ignore a undefended America. Guess where is going USA to spend the money if Japan invades America? In America, not in Europe, and they are going to have much less money (like 15-20 IPCs less due convoy raids and losing Alaska and Hawaii), while Japan is going to have much more after they toast Australia and takes Alaska, Hawaii and India (probably about 100+), and there is even a chance that Japan has enough power to at least annoy Africa … and If Japan can afford take South Africa IC, allies are probably beaten

I prefer spend money in the Pacific as USA, saving tons of money, preventing Japan collecting them, etc, and probably even taking some Dutch East Indies. Of course, India could have at least a chance of survive in this case

You should at least make the try: next time allies try ignore Japan, invade America with Japan

• @MaherC:

9th game completed tonight.   That’s 9-0 allies.

Our group contends that if you have players of relatively the same ability playing both sides, and the standards are followed, there is little to no chance of an axis win.

Putting a Minor in Romania from the start.

Adding Axis airpower in Europe

Eliminating French Units

Making French units Vichy when Paris falls

Removing the minor IC from S. Italy

Not sure what combo of these to try first…

I think that game balance differs from group to group. I also think that some people play certain powers better then others like Gargantua w/Germany. One guy in our group is very good with Japan, and you can’t ignore him. Play styles make a big difference as well. Some people are attack-attack-attack, some are more defensive minded. I also think the axis have a longer learning curve in E40, and G40. Some of those early victories probably shouldn’t count. If your group is anything like any normal group playing, the first couple of games are riddled w/mistakes, and the axis seem to have a harder time overcoming mistakes. Things like forgetting to take Finland G1, or not seeing the 1-2 punch the allies can pull on the Danish straight (how to protect against it w/Italy). Its also possible some early games had wrong rule interpretations, or some games exploited some rules that may be changed in the FAQ. The FAQ should be out this month, until then I would keep working on axis strats. I would find it a challenge to break the streak.

If in all these one sided games the axis never even sniffed victory then yeah maybe your group should look at making some changes. Its not much fun playing if you know ahead of time your going to win or lose. For me I wouldn’t start with things on your list other then maybe IC’s. Restricting major IC builds to your own orig tt (no US major on Norway or Korea), and/or maybe starting w/German minor on Romania like you said.

Personally I would start w/US NO if your main problem is US having to much income in Europe. You could simply try shaving off 5 ipc’s from the US at war NO (making it 25 ipc’s instead of 30 in both E40 & G40). In global if US is swinging to much income to Europe you could split its war time NO up, forcing it to hold onto certain Pac islands or tt to keep its income in tact, so the US can’t just ignore the Pacific.

• Japan had such an advantage in most P40 groups. I believe them to be key here as well. It takes some skill to ignore them 18 Russian inf until six infantry and your whole airforce can kill them.

In general America builds 90% Europe first couple turns of our games. This lets Japan just spring out! Be adventurous and build your Japanese Asian complex far from home where you can ignore China.

• '10

What do you think was the #1 factor that caused the Axis loss in all of your games?

I suggest it was USA income and readiness to enter the fight as soon as war was declared?

• Customizer

Solutions: (which should be in the game anyway, balanced or not)

No new factories
    No use of captured factories
    Rail movement
    No tt sharing between USSR and Western Allies

• Landing in CA/MEX/AK does nothing to the US.  Ok, so I take 1 turn off, grab 10 tanks and push your out.  Good waste of $ for Japan, while I now have Remaining Armor to load back up on TR’s.

It’s simple math. The US has WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money to burn off in the Atlantic.

I can only hope that the game truely wasn’t playtested, or they were told that the Allies should win 90% of the time.

Something tells me that in these groups that have the Axis winning 50/50 or more, the better players are taking the axis as it is the harder side.  you put the guys who are drinking, don’t really play, or are new on the allies, and a few mistakes are made and taken advantage of.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m