• Hi folks, is there any point in attacking a battleship with a single sub? The sub only has one die and the battleship
    has a 1 hit protection.

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Cheers, Chris

• A single sub can not sink a battleship but the hit would carry over till the regular attack naval units phase.

• Thanks frimmel - I’m playing my first game on Thursday against my neighbour - looking forward to it - it may take us a few hours to get the hang of it though I think!

Cheers, Chris

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Hobbes1218!

Make sure that you check out the FAQ for a clearer understanding of the rules.  Enjoy the game!

• One thing I’m musing upon is the power of subs - they get first shot and can take out a ship of their choice on a roll of 1 or 2? If I undersand this correctly they seem pretty powerful for their cost.
    It would be nice if any destroyers in the area limited them to a roll of 1 only - 2 only being a hit if no destroyers were present.

Anyway - I better play the game first before posting any more thoughts  :-)

Cheers, Chris

• Subs are fair IMO. They might not seem fair at times  :evil: but you can’t really afford to go overboard buying subs as they can’t control islands and are fragile. They make a good van for the big naval showdown.

• Also, in a close game, a sub hit can give you the point you need to win.  If the American player plays his first properly, I see this as the most tenuous A&A game ever made.  Both sides can win and one bad move could change everything.  One other interesting aspect of the game is that both sides roll several dice in a typical engagement.  This keeps large swings due to dice luck from happening with any frequency just because the statistics are more reliable with lots of dice in play.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m