8 hours of a Global game (Axis seems too hard..again)

• As per my play with A&A1940 Europe, I feel Axis has it very rough in the Global version.

Our game-
    G3 takes London after obliterating Brit navel presence in the first two turns.  I hadnt realized how many planes could get there.
    Japan chooses not to go to war with anyone but Russia until J3.
    Italians rolled bad in almost every engagement.

I think slow rolling Japan might have been a bad idea.  The money it prevented US from getting seemed more than offset by the easy Dutch/ANZAC National Obj bonus’ the allis got.  And Italians never had much luck, Cairo never fell.
    But you’d think taking 35 IPC’s from London and pretty much locking UK out of the game on the western hemisphere should be an easy win.
    Germany staled out in Russia after taking Leningrad.  US eventually staged 7 full transports, 2 full Carriers and a Battleship off Gibralter.  Germans 4 Fighters and 4 Tact Fighers guarding London decided to strike first at the fleet and failed.  US takes back London next turn easily.  Axis player concedes at 1:30am in the morning after about 7 turns.
    German had held London for about 4 turns.

My opinion stands that Axis have it very hard in this A&A version.

Wak

• TripleA

I haven’t played Axis yet, but from my games as Allies thus far what I took from them is that:

A) Germany either needs to go all in and take UK out, or commit to Russia and take them out asap.  Before, or on G3.

B) Italy assists with France destruction and control in Africa.

C) Japan must push into China/UK before US3 and control the income on the mainland.

If that can happen it seems like an easy win for Axis.

If not…. Japan gets pushed out of the mainland, loosing a war of attrition to the annoying Chinese, UK and Anzac.  Russia has 4 turns to beef up defenses making the German push, without Japan aid very difficult.  UK can retake France and then it’s not good.

Allies have one every global game we’ve played thus far.  Looking forward to playing Axis next time.

• Axis has won all my global games so far.

Russia simply can not hold in my gaming group, No player has even tried Sea Lion.

Russia is usually dead before turn 8

• so whats stopping the US from getting to Berlin by turn 8?  Is it always the same people playing the same countries?

• '10

@oztea:

Axis has won all my global games so far.

Russia simply can not hold in my gaming group, No player has even tried Sea Lion.

Is that with Japan attacking the USSR on J1?

• @Bruda_Iz:

so whats stopping the US from getting to Berlin by turn 8?  Is it always the same people playing the same countries?

Well, in this game the US spent all its IPCs on the Pacific side for at least 3 turns.  There was a huge navy battle that resulted in almost no navy for US or Japan.  Japan was then slowly getting pushed back by UK/ANZAC/China while US switched all its money to the east coast to retake London with the force I descibed above.
    I think its arguable that US is better spent going all out against Germany instead of Japan.  Our group even has one that would like to see US IPCs forced to be split in some way on each coast.

Wak

• Yes, with Japan attacking on J1

• @oztea:

Axis has won all my global games so far.

Oztea,

Please elaborate.  What is Germany doing such that Russia dies by turn 8, but you are still holding strong in France, Norway, and the Med.  Thanks.

• @Wakrob:

As per my play with A&A1940 Europe, I feel Axis has it very rough in the Global version.

Our game-
    G3 takes London after obliterating Brit navel presence in the first two turns.  I hadnt realized how many planes could get there.
    Japan chooses not to go to war with anyone but Russia until J3.
    Italians rolled bad in almost every engagement.

I think slow rolling Japan might have been a bad idea.  The money it prevented US from getting seemed more than offset by the easy Dutch/ANZAC National Obj bonus’ the allis got.  And Italians never had much luck, Cairo never fell.
    But you’d think taking 35 IPC’s from London and pretty much locking UK out of the game on the western hemisphere should be an easy win.
    Germany staled out in Russia after taking Leningrad.  US eventually staged 7 full transports, 2 full Carriers and a Battleship off Gibralter.  Germans 4 Fighters and 4 Tact Fighers guarding London decided to strike first at the fleet and failed.  US takes back London next turn easily.  Axis player concedes at 1:30am in the morning after about 7 turns.
    German had held London for about 4 turns.

My opinion stands that Axis have it very hard in this A&A version.

Wak

ARGH!!!  You had the game man, you had it!  If Germany can knock England out of the war it is very difficult for the Allies to come back from it.  Attacking the US navy from England is difficult if not impossible since they can build twice the amount of IPCs you’re making every turn in the Atlantic.  You had 8 planes in England, all you had to do was shuck enough infantry there to defend it and you’re golden.  Let the Americans be the ones sinking tons of money into transports to retake England while you’re already sitting pretty with your own transports and tons of inf from W. Germany to reinforce.  With 8 planes as defense those 7 loaded transports would have had no chance if you’d had a stack of 10+ infantry present.

I’m guessing sorry-bitch-ass Italy was in danger so you felt you had to attack in the Atlantic to save them.  It was easier to me to defend against the US Gibraltar threat by reinforcing Italy with my own inf/tanks from W. Germany fora few turns until they get enough infantry made to hold the capital.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m