• Hello everyone!

I sort of stumbled on this site again after not having been here for years.  I used to A&A fairly regularly back in High School, and a bit in University, but that was a long time ago…

Well I have a few friends who want to start playing, and being the sole owner of a board, it will probably fall to me set things up.

That leaves me wondering what I should do.  You see I have a copy of the Classic game.  5 Nations, no Artillery or Destroyers etc… Probably a 2nd Edition one, I think it was published in 87.  I’m missing the Rule Book but I’m not too fussed as I’m sure there is a way to get that.  However.  I’m wondering if it’s worthwhile getting the AA42 expansion/update.

Alternatively, I could spend a bunch more and get Europe and Pacific 40.  I know the guys want to play the whole world.

Is there a summary of what I’d be missing out on/gaining by either sticking with what I’ve got, updating to 42 or buying 40?

I have a couple of weeks before we’ll be playing so I’m trying to address this in relatively short order.  If people have opinions or can point me to something that will help, I’d be very appreciative.

Thanks very much!

Titan

• Hello

You can get the .pdf of the Classic rulebook from the official WOTC site:

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/axis.pdf

You should definitely upgrade from Classic to a newer version. I’ve bought Classic in 1997, Revised in 2003, AA50 in 2008, AA42 and AAP40 in 2009 and just bought AAE40. Classic was fun but I’ve stopped playing it when I got Revised. Then I got AA42 and I stopped playing Revised.

In regards to getting 42 or AAE&AAP40:

• AA42 is a lot less expensive (some people on the US have reported getting it for under 30$)
    • Both AAE&AAP40 cost in total some 180$
    • AA42 is better for new players to get used to the basic rules. AAE/P have a lot of specific rules.
    • AA42 map sucks. Fortunately you can download Imperious Leader’s AA42 and have it printed.
    • AA42 plays faster. AAE/P are slower and more complex.

• @Hobbes:

Hello

You can get the .pdf of the Classic rulebook from the official WOTC site:

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/axis.pdf

You should definitely upgrade from Classic to a newer version. I’ve bought Classic in 1997, Revised in 2003, AA50 in 2008, AA42 and AAP40 in 2009 and just bought AAE40. Classic was fun but I’ve stopped playing it when I got Revised. Then I got AA42 and I stopped playing Revised.

In regards to getting 42 or AAE&AAP40:

• AA42 is a lot less expensive (some people on the US have reported getting it for under 30$)
    • Both AAE&AAP40 cost in total some 180$
    • AA42 is better for new players to get used to the basic rules. AAE/P have a lot of specific rules.
    • AA42 map sucks. Fortunately you can download Imperious Leader’s AA42 and have it printed.
    • AA42 plays faster. AAE/P are slower and more complex.

Agreed, I have 42’ and teach kids I work with at the Youth Center how to play (13-17 year olds). Very easy to learn and play that one. However the board is small and intial setup makes the board really crowded, esp. Germany.

With AAE&P40 you get a freakin EPIC map, which is why I’ve invested the money into those. You can buy the new pieces on Ebay 5-8$ per nation. Then as Hobbes suggested maybe download and print one of IL’s maps (printing will costs vary but from what I’ve saw 50-100$ should cover it.)

I guess it all comes down to how much money you want to spend, how often the game(s) will be used etc.

• Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I figured I could get the PDF somewhere. Thanks for the link though.

So now I need to figure out what I should do. The guys I play with all play warhammer and other strategy/tactical games so I’m sure they could handle the rules of 40 but it’s a big chunk of change to drop. On the flip side it seems counter intuitive to buy 50 or something else if its not as “good”.

I’m not opposed to getting a board printed but I’d probably just get both 40s. The boards I’ve seen printed look nice but I don’t know yet how much I’ll get to play. Lol

• Guys - welcome to the internet age!

If you are in the US, you can get both Axis & Allies Europe & Pacific for $60 each, shipped. Total of $120 for both - not $180!

You can also pick up Axis & Allies 1942 for $20 online as well. Try these places:

www.coolstuffinc.com

www.miniaturemarket.com

Definitely upgrade, at least to the AA42 game.

• I agree that upgrading is a good idea, but I would also add this: hang on to your classic game too.  Having extra pieces is a good thing – you can never have too many pieces – and having shape and colour variants in your collection can turn out to be very useful…for instance, by having one colour of a country’s infantry sculpts represent standard troops and another colour represent elite troops.

• @CWO:

I agree that upgrading is a good idea, but I would also add this: hang on to your classic game too.  Having extra pieces is a good thing – you can never have too many pieces – and having shape and colour variants in your collection can turn out to be very useful…for instance, by having one colour of a country’s infantry sculpts represent standard troops and another colour represent elite troops.

Completely agree. I use the white Industrial Complexes from Classic as Minor ICs and the German infantry as neutrals on AAE/AAP40.

• '10

I’ve always thought about doing something like that to signal veteran troops after they’ve won/survived a round or two, but it seems too hard to keep track of all of those individual units.

As far as upgrading goes, Hobbes made most of the points. If you can handle two, three rounds of a crowded board you can try 1942 on the cheap and see if you would want to move up to E40/P40 from there. Plus you would have some extra pieces for 40 if you do. If you’re worried about room on the 42 map, you can print out one of a handful of maps on here on paper and put it on poster board for another $15. A canvas map would cost you a lot more.
    Most likely a game of 1942 with a bunch of new guys is going to take a good chunk of time. A game of global with a bunch of new guys could take up an entire weekend.
    You could just play either E40, or P40. It would take less time game-wise, but still has more rules to slow you down.

I’d say 42 just because your friends haven’t played before. Good luck in your decision.

• get 42… Its the closest direct upgrade from what you played on the classic board.  Only a few changes to the Territory spaces, and economy.  but definitely download Imperious  Leaders Spring 1942 map.  you may also want to add the chips from your old board, might as well keep the units for extra pieces like aa guns, etc.

• @reloader-1:

If you are in the US, you can get both Axis & Allies Europe & Pacific for $60 each, shipped. Total of $120 for both - not $180!

How much would shipping be for just one of those games?  I looked all over their site but couldn’t find any shipping price lists.

• @Dr.:

@reloader-1:

How much would shipping be for just one of those games?  I looked all over their site but couldn’t find any shipping price lists.

It says after you go to the checkout area that if you spend over 100$ then shipping is free. So both games would only be 120$ since theres free shipping. Pretty good deal actually.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

Find the loudest, big-mouthed bragger of Axis and Allies and make them play as the Axis in this game.  They should be humbled, hopefully.

Ha! That’s a great use for it!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m