Has anyone actually played to 8 VCs? Axis can't "win", can only stalemate.

• EDIT: Case of late night gaming mind ahead! Only read if you want to laugh at my expense.

Note: This is for Europe 1940 only, not the global combined game.

I admit I’m only basing this off of one game of actual play but the issue seems that obvious.

Four player game.  One player Germany, I played Italy, One played USSR/France and one was the western allies(UK/US).

Germany opened with taking just france(ignore normandy/south france) and decimating the whole northern british fleet.  Britain did not do anything offensive at all in his turn and turned hit south fleet away to rally in south africa and canada. I was then able to defeat north Africa without breaking a sweat. Throughout the game I did a quick land grab with the forces I had untill they got counter attacked by south african IC forces.  I had an IC in egypt and swung the tides again and grabbed South africa.  Meanwhile I captured the mideast to west India and helped Germany with Barbarossa.  I all the southern territories of Russia(Including Stalingrad!) while he was able to capture Moscow comfortably(The russian player’s critical mistake was sending too much forces to take finland/norway).  Axis have 7 of the 8 needed victory cities to win.

End Turn 4 after Start of Barbarossa: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/Striker_002/DSCF0370.jpg
    3 Pictures of when we called it, first is full view, other two are half views for better detail.
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/Striker_002/DSCF0371.jpg
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/Striker_002/DSCF0372.jpg
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/Striker_002/DSCF0373.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words, but for those who are on slow connection here is a summary:
    The situation is this:
    Russia is out except for a moderate force holing up in leningrad.
    Germany has run out of conquer tokens.
    ITALY has run out of both Italian conquer tokens and french proxy tokens!(Making 35 Ipc’s natural)
    America has mega fleet of doom controlling atlantic/mediterranian. Only axis fleet is small italian one chilling on other side of suez canal.
    Britain is making less then 20 IPCs, ferrying troops into normandy. Netherlands being traded but allies don’t WANT to liberate france(making money off of “liberated” french colonies)

Even though the axis powers have  exceeded expectations and conquered Euroasia and Africa, they have only equalized their economy with the allies because of the US!.  The allies do not have the ground force to successfully push into mainland Europe, but the Axis can’t hope to destroy the US/British fleet any time in the foreseeable future to get access to invading London.  Even if a major axis airforce was able to kill the navy, the British player could garrison a crapton of infantry in London to delay the inevitable even more.   We called the game at this point since it was 2:00am and victory for either side was nowhere in site.

My complaint is that axis victory is not reasonable to achieve. The axis must conquer all of Russia, africa, and then knock britain out to win.  There are 10 victory cities but two are completely inaccessible in North America.  This leaves London as the only way to end the game.  The axis have two choices but the paths lead to the same conclusion.

1. Do an early sealion and THEN conquer Russia.  However, by the time russia is defeated america will have liberated england.

2. Do not do sealion and conquer Russia sooner.

Both lead to similar end game scenarios assuming successfully knocking out russia.  Allies have control of seas and Axis have control of mainland Eurasia and maybe africa.  Even when the axis perform very well they still haven’t won.

If the Axis completely control Europe and Africa, that should be considered enough to meet the victory conditions.  I’d suggest South Africa as the location for a new victory city so that this is obtainable.

/Rant

• Hint: do a recount of the victory cities!

:wink:

• Ummm…err, eh.  Blame it on late night gaming?  Guess we would have “won” after one more round. bleh.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

• Yes, there are 11 VC’s: Berlin, Warsaw, Rome, Paris, London, Leningrad, Stalingrad, Moscow, Washington, Ottawa, Cairo. You can win by taking all except London, Ottawa, and Washington

• Yeah…could have swore there was only 10.  Still, it would be fairly easy for America to have a stalemate going by kicking Italy out of Cairo and holding it with its mega fleet of doom.  But my above argument is void now.

• Don’t worry man, it was a nice post to read … it even had colourful pictures in it!

:-D

• @Striker:

Yeah…could have swore there was only 10.  Still, it would be fairly easy for America to have a stalemate going by kicking Italy out of Cairo and holding it with its mega fleet of doom.  But my above argument is void now.

Did you miss Warsaw?

• I don’t think it was a case of me missing a specific city.  Rather, I thought “there’s 10 victory cities, we need 8, so that means we must capture all but Ottawa and Washington!”

• PantherP Panther forked this topic on
  • PantherP Panther locked this topic on
  • ItaliarulesthewavesI Italiarulesthewaves referenced this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m