• Every once in a while I read in a post about an alternate setup from Larry Harris, but have not seen it elaborated.  My play group is getting together for our first global game this weekend and would like to know what the changes are if this is true.

GSH

• Wow! 74 pages must be the longest single thread I’ve ever seen about one A&A topic.  A few questions for you Calvin since you were the originator of the thread:

Does any setup change also apply to Global?

It’s 11pm local time and I simply don’t have time to read the whole thing tonight.  Is the setup modification still being discussed or has Larry actually made definitive alterations that are buried in that monster thread somewhere?

Thanks for posting so quickly.
    GSH

• I thought they just agreed that Japan cant attack till turn J3. That fixes it right?

• @gsh34:

Wow! 74 pages must be the longest single thread I’ve ever seen about one A&A topic.  A few questions for you Calvin since you were the originator of the thread:

Does any setup change also apply to Global?

It’s 11pm local time and I simply don’t have time to read the whole thing tonight.  Is the setup modification still being discussed or has Larry actually made definitive alterations that are buried in that monster thread somewhere?

Thanks for posting so quickly.
    GSH

ideally, they would apply to Global.

Larry keeps revising the setup due to results of playtests. the latest version is, I think, less than 5 pages back

• Yes the intent seems to be to cross apply these changes to global–-where they are not needed.

The addition of Russia, UK Mediterranean forces, change in turn order and the diplomatic situation seems to solve the J1DoW and J3IC issues. Interestingly enough, I actually proposed the first two factors as solutions along with a more historical set up and they were rejected out of hand.  :?  Now the discussion has turned to an across the board force reduction of all powers with some ship redeployment and a few added infantry. I think the best thing to come out of the discussion is the addition of a naval base to New South Wales.

• @Autarch:

Yes the intent seems to be to cross apply these changes to global–-where they are not needed.

The addition of Russia, UK Mediterranean forces, change in turn order and the diplomatic situation seems to solve the J1DoW and J3IC issues. Interestingly enough, I actually proposed the first two factors as solutions along with a more historical set up and they were rejected out of hand.  :?  Now the discussion has turned to an across the board force reduction of all powers with some ship redeployment and a few added infantry. I think the best thing to come out of the discussion is the addition of a naval base to New South Wales.

I also agree they’re going overboard. Some more Chinese infantry, a forced Japanese Garrisson along the Russian border to guard against any possible Russian aggression and finally far fewer Japanese planes should be enough to do the trick. What’s more; all these changes would be historically accurate!

• Has there been any word of when an official decision will be made?

• Official Q&A

It’s going to be several weeks.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

What a mess!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I would have been happier with a perfected game and having to wait a few more weeks…

But I don’t know how much of that is Larry & Co.'s choice, and how much of it is rushed by Wizards or Hasbro or whoever…

• I am uncertain if I am going to buy AAE40 or not now. I have AAP40 and was looking forward to getting AAE40 for the big combined game but after reading about set up changes I am thinking of not spending the $90 + tax to get it. I was disappointed with AAP40 after the first set up and only played 1 round. AAP40 has not seen a table since the first week it was released. Seriously thinking about selling AAP40 now and just playing AA42 which has no errors in set up and only 2 rule clarifications according to the FAQ.

• @skinny1:

I am uncertain if I am going to buy AAE40 or not now. I have AAP40 and was looking forward to getting AAE40 for the big combined game but after reading about set up changes I am thinking of not spending the $90 + tax to get it. I was disappointed with AAP40 after the first set up and only played 1 round. AAP40 has not seen a table since the first week it was released. Seriously thinking about selling AAP40 now and just playing AA42 which has no errors in set up and only 2 rule clarifications according to the FAQ.

Dude, it’s not that hard to make a few setup changes. They’re well worth it to play an epic game where China is 18 territories instead of 3, Russia is 30 territories instead of 10, and Africa is 20 territories instead of 10

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@skinny1:

I am uncertain if I am going to buy AAE40 or not now. I have AAP40 and was looking forward to getting AAE40 for the big combined game but after reading about set up changes I am thinking of not spending the $90 + tax to get it. I was disappointed with AAP40 after the first set up and only played 1 round. AAP40 has not seen a table since the first week it was released. Seriously thinking about selling AAP40 now and just playing AA42 which has no errors in set up and only 2 rule clarifications according to the FAQ.

Dude, it’s not that hard to make a few setup changes. They’re well worth it to play an epic game where China is 18 territories instead of 3, Russia is 30 territories instead of 10, and Africa is 20 territories instead of 10

I understand that but it is the principal of the matter. A set of games that are as pricey as these are should not have these many issues. When all of the issues were brought up with AAP40, Larry and WotC should have made sure that AAE40 had no issues before being released. I don’t know what has happened with the AA franchise but these kinds of things are really disturbing. I was going to pick up AAE40 next Friday when I get paid but after seeing this thread I am really debating on whether to get it or not. I am being more selective in the games that I buy with the price they are now. Too much money to spend to have to make corrections on the set up boxes and any issues that might come up with the new rule book.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@skinny1:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@skinny1:

I understand that but it is the principal of the matter. A set of games that are as pricey as these are should not have these many issues. When all of the issues were brought up with AAP40, Larry and WotC should have made sure that AAE40 had no issues before being released. I don’t know what has happened with the AA franchise but these kinds of things are really disturbing. I was going to pick up AAE40 next Friday when I get paid but after seeing this thread I am really debating on whether to get it or not. I am being more selective in the games that I buy with the price they are now. Too much money to spend to have to make corrections on the set up boxes and any issues that might come up with the new rule book.

I understand and in many ways I agree… but what about your motto down at the bottom:        “It’s all good”    ?

Isn’t this all good? I mean, yeah, nobody else comes out with this stuff, and for the most part it is good. I mean make a couple minor changes if you need to, it can still be an exciting game to play.

• Yeah, I understand also.

I have played since before the Axis BID days, picking up the mods and rules clarifications at Highschool chess tournaments when only my C64 had message boards.

Have always thought the different nations were not balanced.  Some players aren’t expansionist enough to play Japan.  Some turtles are best suited as Russia.  Angry attackers sometimes get over anxious as Germany.

So far I’ve had about 30 great hours playing the new Global game.  When the mods come out I’m sure I’ll try them.

• @LHoffman:

@skinny1:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@skinny1:

I understand and in many ways I agree… but what about your motto down at the bottom:        “It’s all good”     ?

Isn’t this all good? I mean, yeah, nobody else comes out with this stuff, and for the most part it is good. I mean make a couple minor changes if you need to, it can still be an exciting game to play.

I will have to correct that. It does not apply to $90 games with a bunch of errors.

• Skinny1

Maybe others can help me out here with a clarification but I am pretty sure all of the changes are for the AAP40 game and none are for the AAE40 game. Therefor for your comments about not buying a game full of errors are completely unfounded as the new AAE40 game is error free. Hell you even get enough game pieces to play the game properly.

As well I find the tweaking of AAP40 to be tediously unnecessary. How many people really play JUST the Pacific game now that we have the global? The Global game fixes all of the unbalances that Pacific had in it….

• @Blitchga:

Skinny1

Maybe others can help me out here with a clarification but I am pretty sure all of the changes are for the AAP40 game and none are for the AAE40 game. Therefor for your comments about not buying a game full of errors are completely unfounded as the new AAE40 game is error free. Hell you even get enough game pieces to play the game properly.

As well I find the tweaking of AAP40 to be tediously unnecessary. How many people really play JUST the Pacific game now that we have the global? The Global game fixes all of the unbalances that Pacific had in it….

Well, the changes apply to Global too, so it sort of affects the Europe side

• @Blitchga:

I do. That is I would once the issues have been solved. believe it or not, but I find global to be a bit too big. It’s easier for me to see the big picture (or actually the 'smaller"one  :-D) when playing either Europe40 or Pacific 40 separately. When i want to play a global game I prefer AA50. I think that’s a superb game! Of course i will also be playing global40 from time to time (esp. because the other members of my playgroup prefer that one), but obviously Pacific40 should be playable in its won right as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m