Regarding scrambled aircraft during an amphibious assault

• This paragraph minus the first sentence in the rulebooks of both games strikes me as (mostly) irrelevant:

“All scrambled air units must return to the island from which they were scrambled.  If the enemy captures that island, the units can move one space to land in a friendly territory or on a friendly aircraft carrier.  If no such landing space is available, the units are lost…”

My question is: when would this ever occur?  If I have scrambled my aircraft from the island into that sea zone, then I would be making that zone hostile, therefore rendering enemy transports unable to offload there until ALL of my scrambled aircraft are destroyed.  If they are not ALL destroyed, then the capturing of that island would not only be unsuccessful, but impossible.

The only situation that I can think of this being a possibility would be if I scramble aircraft to defend the sea zone while my enemy has ALSO sent Paratroopers from a nearby enemy airbase directly to the island to participate in the land combat.  If this is the case, then this would still only be a rather situational possibility and only in the Global Game.

Any insight on this matter would be appreciated.

• Everything you’ve said is correct. The only situation would be paratroopers

• My next question then (which I started another topic about) would be CAN paratroopers continue an invasion on a territory in which the amphibious assault was unsuccessful?  Assuming of course that the planned amphibious assault was the only other source of attacking ground forces on that island.

• @Nemesis420x:

My next question then (which I started another topic about) would be CAN paratroopers continue an invasion on a territory in which the amphibious assault was unsuccessful?  Assuming of course that the planned amphibious assault was the only other source of attacking ground forces on that island.

I assume so, otherwise that rule has no relavance.

• Official Q&A

They are required to continue, as they have no retreat option.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m