• Since this is the first Europe game with an enemy territory in Eastern Europe, Germany on turn 1 can send its army from S. Germany into Yugoslavia and 1 infantry from Romania.  It can then strafe it once, weakening it for Italy to take (who needs it more), and retreat the whole attack force into Romania.  On average, Germany will lose 1 or 2 infantry, but in return have that whole army on the front line ready for G2 (if you want to go for an early Barbarossa).

Is this a problem?

• @Col.:

Since this is the first Europe game with an enemy territory in Eastern Europe, Germany on turn 1 can send its army from S. Germany into Yugoslavia and 1 infantry from Romania.  It can then strafe it once, weakening it for Italy to take (who needs it more), and retreat the whole attack force into Romania.  On average, Germany will lose 1 or 2 infantry, but in return have that whole army on the front line ready for G2 (if you want to go for an early Barbarossa).

Is this a problem?

:roll:

• No. It is not a problem. It is part of the rules, and has been for some time now.

Any side can do it, so I don’t see how it would be unfair.

• @Stockus13:

No. It is not a problem. It is part of the rules, and has been for some time now.

Any side can do it, so I don’t see how it would be unfair.

Even if it was……life isn’t fair, so just do it :evil:

• I’m aware that it’s part of the rules, I’ve been playing since the 1980s edition.  However, it usually only ever comes up in naval combat.  But in this case, those 6 inf and 1 art stationed in Romania are much more powerful compared to being stationed in Hungary/Slovakia on G2 because they can attack both Bessarabia and Eastern Poland, thus forcing the Russians to either stretch out their defenses or retreat.  Bessarabia is already the weakest point on the Russian line with only 2 starting infantry, so those 6 inf and 1 art can make a much stronger push towards Stalingrad 1 turn earlier.

• Well this seems like a basic move, except Its not good.

Why?

Germany needs her tanks for France to protect and get the best exchange rate. If tanks went to Yugoslavia, you would lose more net cash when you attacked france and also might ‘accedentally’ take Yugoslavia.

Italy should get Greece on I2 and let Germany get a decent attack with planes on G2. Why waste the loses in a costly even battle taking paris, when your all over the map weakening your attacks?

Italy can get Bulgaria and Germany gets Finland.

Next turn Italy can kill Greece and Germany takes Yugo.

• The exploit is major factory in Romania

It broke a game wide open for us.

Russia cant hit it by the rules untill R4 so it is safe from any attack. And produces units so close to the front its insane

• Sounds like a good idea unless Italy blows the attack on their turn.

• The exploit is major factory in Romania

Russia cant hit it by the rules until R4 so it is safe from any attack. And produces units so close to the front its insane

Oh yes thats right.

• @oztea:

The exploit is major factory in Romania

Russia cant hit it by the rules untill R4 so it is safe from any attack. And produces units so close to the front its insane

Good idea! One is usually weary of making so many IPCs on a piece that’s not a combat unit, but this might indeed be a good investment in the long run!

• I tried it and lost 5 inf on the first turn. My opponent rolled only 1’s and 2’s. So I thought I had to compensate those losses and took Yugo. I then changed my plans on invading Russia (waited until G4) and won. First time I saw an Axis win.

• Any other details on the win?  Was delaying until G4 to build up and attack Russia the deciding factor?  Did you put an IC in Yugoslavia to get units to Africa?  But that is definitely not a normal odds roll.

• No, I was very unfortunate.

I did not use Yogo for an IC and didn’t concentrate on Africa at all (with Germany). However Italy only concentrated on Africa and was really succesful there, building an IC in Egypt and drove the Brits south all the way to their (by then) heavily guarded IC.

I DoW on G4 and concentrated on Leningrad. I conquered Vyborg, Karelia and Baltics with massive armies. I had 3 trannies and an IC in Norway, so my northern army attacking from Finland was huge. Russia kicked the hell out of my Baltic army, but couldn’t touch the others and with help from my trannies and SB I took Leningrad. I also killed the SU army which attacked my Baltic army, because there was most of his offensive capacity (tanks and art).

In the mean time I kept the Brits busy with subs and bombers. They had to invest at least 12 IPC every turn for Africa and the three trannies from G1 made sure their first turn was spend on inf, so their fleet never became massive, because of my swarms of subs circling Britain and cutting off convoys.

I must admit I played it against an inexperienced opponent, but his extremely lucky dice rolls did make it a very difficult game to win. My invasion of Leningrad saw about 12 defensive hits out of 14, IIRC.

• Attacking a territory from two sides and retreating to the farther one is a sound tactical move that makes a lot of sense.  Picture the army punching a corridor through the territory in question for the other army to move through instead of trying to simply subdue all opposition in said territory.

• Customizer

But it does effectively give infantry a 2 space per turn movement, making the case for realistic rail based land movement all the more compelling.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m