• I would really like to get anniversary edition but can not afford to spend the money they are charging on ebay for it.  I am playing global but want another version to play besides it.  Is revised considered a better game than 1942?  Also how does it compare to Anniversary edition?

Thanks in advance,

• 1942 is considered better because of the new transport, sub, destroyer, plane rules

• Okay thanks,  I hope they decide to make another printing of AA50.

• @Chompers#2:

Okay thanks,  I hope they decide to make another printing of AA50.

They might if Avalon Hill has another 50th anniversary.

• '12

@skinny1:

@Chompers#2:

It actually does have another 50th coming.  1958 was founding. The early 60’s is when Monarch took over.  ;)

Although…The game is called Anniversary Edition, which means it was released in honor of the anniversary.  It does not necessarily follow that it only needs to be available for the Anniversary.  Though that does seem to be the route they went.

The Star Trek 25th Anniversary PC game gets re-released every so often under that title, and that was 1991.  Ultimately, the only factor is if there is a profit to be made.

• @moralecheck:

@skinny1:

@Chompers#2:

It actually does have another 50th coming.  1958 was founding. The early 60’s is when Monarch took over.  ;)

Although…The game is called Anniversary Edition, which means it was released in honor of the anniversary.  It does not necessarily follow that it only needs to be available for the Anniversary.  Though that does seem to be the route they went.

The Star Trek 25th Anniversary PC game gets re-released every so often under that title, and that was 1991.  Ultimately, the only factor is if there is a profit to be made.

More profit to be made in selling 2 games to make a larger global game. I seriously doubt that they will ever reprint AA50. It was a limited print edition. If they wanted to reprint it they would have done it before AAG40 was released. Honestly I wish that WotC would have added things that were in AA50 to the AAG40 game like the damage markers, victory city tokens and nicer components for the price.

• '12

Agreed.

• I’m on the fence with Revised vs. Spring 42. Try playing both. Spring 42 opens up some bomber options for every power, especially the Axis powers because of the Allies need for extra naval protection. On the other hand, you might enjoy the game less because the Allied players hands are so tied in the Atlantic that you won’t see the US in the med or other strategies. It’s worth mentioning that Spring 42 is balanced(from my experience and from what I’ve heard) but in Revised, the Axis needed 5-9 in preplaced bid units to balance the game.

• '10

I personally like Revised better, because of the NOs (optional rules at back of book) can change up the game play.

I would like to play Revised with the NOs, but update the naval rules to 1942.

Buy 1942 for the extra pcs and the Cruisers…  play Revised IMHO.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

I personally like Revised better, because of the NOs (optional rules at back of book) can change up the game play.

I would like to play Revised with the NOs, but update the naval rules to 1942.

Buy 1942 for the extra pcs and the Cruisers…  play Revised IMHO.

You can try these for AA42:  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20053.0  and http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15052.0  for NOs and NAs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m