G1 soften up France so Italy can take it

• This didn’t seem intentional but in last night’s game my buddy who was bent on destroying the Royal Navy went into France a little soft on G1, rolled badly and dix not take it!  No attackers or defenders were left.

Things didnt go so badly for him. Italy took France on I1 and put all the money to good use.  Not the way i would do it but not worth quitting over.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

This didn’t seem intentional but in last night’s game my buddy who was bent on destroying the Royal Navy went into France a little soft on G1, rolled badly and dix not take it!  No attackers or defenders were left.

Things didnt go so badly for him. Italy took France on I1 and put all the money to good use.  Not the way i would do it but not worth quitting over.

Yes! let Italy take france. Let Germany focus on Russia, while Italy takes france and pokes UK in the eye.

• Damn I’ve been planning Italian strategies for weeks! I never once thought of that!

That’s great!

• I have thought of this, having Italy take France and then France using the newfound money to buy the ships that the British will surely destroy and prepare to take Africa.  Maybe this is the correct way to play the game and have a strong power in the Mediteranian.

• Soften up Yugoslavia so Italy can take it.

Let Italy have all the balkans

• I’ve ‘ported’ this idea over to the ‘Gee Gosh Italy’s Starting Position is Terrible’ thread in the hopes of quieting the fears of some of the more alarmist / defeatist / fatalist posters there. Giving Italy France would certainly be an ideal way to kick-start the rebuilding of the Regio Marina…

• Not to mention kick-start the death of the Axis as Germany is even closer to parity with Russia/GB points-wise, meaning an offensive against either is doomed to failure.  Add the US “Super Fleet of Doom” to the mix and it’s curtains for Europe.  I don’t think this is a good fix, but I’ll give it a shot.  Hell, I’ll try anything at this point.

• If the french kill the few italian infantry who take paris it is a double mistake. Germany just plunders their IPCs on G2

Japan usually go asia strong and not bother the americans?

The real japan attacked the Alleutians if i remembered. My japan likes to fake an attempt to build an IC in alaska. Seems to cost the americans a turn or two.

• An interesting strategy. I would let Germany take Normandy. Another advantage is that Germany can kill off more British navy and can already take Yugo. Together with Bulg and Finl is makes quite a nice income.

With all the discussion going on about a too weak Italy this is a nice strategy worth giving a try, I think. If this still doesn’t work I am thinking about a house rule giving the two French med ships to Italy if France is conquered.

• In fact this make sens, the french med fleet was destroyed by the british, the one in atlantic was use for the dunkerk evacuation so, house rule for this french med fleet could be ok.

• Yes, the British destroyed it because they were afraid the ships would end up in Axis hands. So relatively historical…

• Seeing as the bottom of France went fascist I think the fears were well grounded, and the French can cry to the end of time over it, but hey, if you sell out and switch sides you dont leave your allies much choice. Hell, Germany got soldiers out of Vichy, like Charlemagne Division, they didnt need a med fleet flying their flag too.

• Well, if you turn the two ships to Italian ships the moment France gets captured completely then the Brits can destroy it like IRL. You could agree that the ships can’t move until the next Italian turn (so if the Germans get all of France on G1 the ships can move in the first Italian turn, if France gets captured on I1, then in I2 can the Italians use the ships).

• These sound like really neat house rules. If the allies seem to win too many games over here we will probably use them. Potentially turning all of north africa over to the germans.

Tons of fun stuff with the french. Imagine the germans being able to move french soldiers around africa but the french turn back allied first time normany is landed in!

I play a bit of War At Sea as well. Reading the back of the french cards is entertaining. Ships escaping port and german capture with unfinished guns. Ships firing at americans landing in africa.

Heck, am i remembering right that the british landed in madagascar to liberate it from the french? Wasnt the HMS Barham or the Ramilles or some other old battleship there?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m