• Anyone else think that at least Eastern USA deserves an anti-aircraft gun?  Not to mention Central US, France, West India, South Africa, Egypt, or Quebec?  Seems a bit thin on AA to me.

• Well some of that is getting to big.
    I think that East US needs one
    France I think deserves one
    West India: no
    South Africa or Egypt no
    Quebec or anywhere in Canada no

• '10

AA gun in France could be a problem for the deutschen Panzertruppen.

• @marechallannes:

I know, right?  The least the French could do is shoot down a German plane or two.

• Eastern US doesn’t have one? That’s a bit strange. Also for France.

• @McLovin1985:

Eastern US doesn’t have one? That’s a bit strange. Also for France.

If it’s needed, the allies are losing

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@McLovin1985:

Precisely.  Besides, individual AA gun units now represent something different than they did in previous versions since factories and bases have their own “built-in” AA guns.  Furthermore, all land units in this game are assumed to have some anti-aircraft functions; so the actual AA gun pieces represent a dedicated anti-aircraft infrastructure in that specific area rather than the territory just having some anti-aircraft guns, which can be represented by regular units.

As far as I know, the Eastern US didn’t have that much of an anti-aircraft system built up during WWII because it was unnecessary.  Same with Canada and South Africa.  France I’m not sure why, but I’m guessing it has to do with their general upreparedness for the combined air-land assault of the Germans.  Other places mentioned like Egypt and West India didn’t have that level of anti-aircraft infrastructure that would be represented by a dedicated AA gun unit.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@McLovin1985:

Not totally true.  The Yanks may appreciate having the option of packing up and shipping the entire Eastern seaboard’s AA defenses to help defend landings in N. Africa or Scandanvia.  :wink:

• '12

@robbie358:

@marechallannes:

I know, right?  The least the French could do is shoot down a German plane or two.

Actually, it may be that the designers didn’t wanna give Germany a free one to guard the coast with.  The French will only get to use it once.

• '12

@SAS:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@McLovin1985:

Precisely.  Besides, individual AA gun units now represent something different than they did in previous versions since factories and bases have their own “built-in” AA guns.  Furthermore, all land units in this game are assumed to have some anti-aircraft functions; so the actual AA gun pieces represent a dedicated anti-aircraft infrastructure in that specific area rather than the territory just having some anti-aircraft guns, which can be represented by regular units.

As far as I know, the Eastern US didn’t have that much of an anti-aircraft system built up during WWII because it was unnecessary.  Same with Canada and South Africa.  France I’m not sure why, but I’m guessing it has to do with their general upreparedness for the combined air-land assault of the blitzkrieg.  Other places mentioned like Egypt and West India didn’t have that level of anti-aircraft infrastructure that would be represented by a dedicated AA gun unit.

Well said.

• Customizer

@gtg21:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@McLovin1985:

Not totally true.  The Yanks may appreciate having the option of packing up and shipping the entire Eastern seaboard’s AA defenses to help defend landings in N. Africa or Scandanvia.   :wink:

They’d be morons no to.

• Right.  The Americans would be foolish not to use an AA gun piece they had available to support troops wherever they attack in Europe, which has been a normal move in previous versions.  However, with the new representation of the AA gun piece as a dedicated infrastructure of anti-aircraft weaponry it doesn’t make sense to include it in the Eastern US historically and they never moved such an infrastructure to North Africa or anywhere else either.

So if you would like to do that for your “what if” A&A game scenario, go ahead and build one and let it sit in the Eastern US or ship it overseas, but that’s no reason to include it in the setup.

• In AA50, France has an AA gun only in the later (42) set up. They don’t get one in the 41 set up. Maybe they felt that Germany over time set up more AA def then what France had originally? It does seem kinda weird that a world power like France that knew the Germans were eventually going to attack, wouldn’t have better AA def though. It must be for game play, if the French had an AA gun they would have had to bump the Luftwaffe to account for it. This would have made the Euro game out of balance compared to the Pac as far as air (yea I am joking).  Maybe it had something to do with France surrendered before the German’s sacked the capital, and they left their AA gun in Paris (LOL).

• I let artillery and mech inf fire at air units. no other land combat units can fire back at aircraft. Old plastic anti aircraft guns from older AAgames are now Heavy Artillery.

• @WILD:

In AA50, France has an AA gun only in the later (42) set up. They don’t get one in the 41 set up. Maybe they felt that Germany over time set up more AA def then what France had originally? It does seem kinda weird that a world power like France that knew the Germans were eventually going to attack, wouldn’t have better AA def though. It must be for game play, if the French had an AA gun they would have had to bump the Luftwaffe to account for it. This would have made the Euro game out of balance compared to the Pac as far as air (yea I am joking).  Maybe it had something to do with France surrendered before the German’s sacked the capital, and they left their AA gun in Paris (LOL).

France may have had a large army at the time, but its command structure had not changed much from WW I, and in fact some of the generals in charge were WW I holdovers. I believe Gamelin set up his headquarters in a remote castle without telegraph lines.
    And of course, they thought that the Maginot line was going to do the defending for them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m