• Has anyone tried adding Russia to the game to see if that can balance it?  Add the 18 Infantry that USSR gets in Global.  Then rule that Russia cannot collect IPCs/buy units till she is attacked or declares war.  The existing troops can be moved as normal.

Once she is in the war, give an income equal to the territories on the board and any purchases have to be placed on the western-most territories (to simulate being shipped Eastward from the European front).

That would definitely change the game… but is it overpowering do you think?  It would seem to give the Japanese player definite pause against throwing everything southward in a India Crush.

• i support that idea

• There is no incentive for Russia NOT to declare war. Make the far western Russian territory a victory city, maybe.

• @reloader-1:

There is no incentive for Russia NOT to declare war. Make the far western Russian territory a victory city, maybe.

That gives an incentive how? Especially if Japan can make war whenever?

• We are talking about Russia. If we add them into the game they will always attack Japan, there is no incentive for them to stay neutral.

However, if we add a victory city, then the Russia has to balance the need to attack Japan with the knowledge that if it fails, it made the game a lot easier for Japan, as they can stroll up and grab the victory city.

• This seems like the most simple of all the suggestions, including the victory city.

Very nice.

I think it accomplishes what all the other machinations attempt: balance the game!

• I’ve thought about this also and suggested on another thread. But I wouldn’t allow Russia to build any new units or collect income, otherwise I fear that and extra 9 IPCs worth of units might be too much for Japan to deal at a middle stage of the game.

Just the 18 inf would be quite a threat of its own. If Japan decides to go after them it will have to send units there that won’t be going against China or India and at the same time Russia has to be careful about a declaration of war of its own since once those units are gone there’s nothing left.

Assuming R plays last, if Japan positions itself on J1 for an India crush then R1 Russia can place its 18 inf on Amur and pose a serious threat to Manchuria on R2. Japan may still go after India but meanwhile China will break lose.

• It’s a Pacific game, so I’m pretty sure that we can live without one more game where USSR and Japan start the game at war

I say no to this idea: USSR should not be part of AAP40. Larry’s fix is the way to go: giving more power to China, India and ANZAC, and specially deleting a bunch of japanese planes

The question is if that fix is going to pass to the global game

• @Funcioneta:

It’s a Pacific game, so I’m pretty sure that we can live without one more game where USSR and Japan start the game at war

I say no to this idea: USSR should not be part of AAP40. Larry’s fix is the way to go: giving more power to China, India and ANZAC, and specially deleting a bunch of japanese planes

The question is if that fix is going to pass to the global game

Larry’s setup is better, but still in Japan’s favor. I think kungfujew’s changes are better: They stop the J3 India Crush and really beef up China, which means that japan must use 1 transport J1 to transport troops to China.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m