• Is Greenland suppose to be an island sitting in sea zone 121, (as it runs off the board like New Zealand does in sea zone 63), or is it suppose to be connected (at that very last bit of land) to Alberta?  This may have beed covered in Eroupe but I couldn’t find it.

• @GrayBlaZe:

Is Greenland suppose to be an island sitting in sea zone 121, (as it runs off the board like New Zealand does in sea zone 63), or is it suppose to be connected (at that very last bit of land) to Alberta?  This may have beed covered in Eroupe but I couldn’t find it.

i doubt it’s connected to Canada

• :lol: :lol:

Map_indicating_Nares_Strait.png

• Unless plate tectonics work a lot faster than I assume they do, Greenland wasn’t connected to Canada in the real world the last time I checked a map.

• Greenland = Largest island in the world

Not that that matters in Axis & Allies world, or that it would really help much… :-P

• @SAS:

Greenland = Largest island in the world

Not that that matters in Axis & Allies world, or that it would really help much… :-P

No, largest island is Eurasia, or Eurasrica if you think Africa is connected to Asia despite the Suez canal.

• Those are classified as continents. :-P

• @SAS:

Those are classified as continents. :-P

Why? Their size? That’s arbitrary. Why is Australia a continent but Greenland not?

• Official Q&A

Greenland is an island.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@SAS:

Those are classified as continents. :-P

Why? Their size? That’s arbitrary. Why is Australia a continent but Greenland not?

So what arbitrary method were you using for classification? :-P  There is a handy thing you can do with the internet called Googling something and a nice website called Wikipedia that will help you find out about how they classify a continent versus an island…

“The criterion ‘large’ leads to arbitrary classification: Greenland, with a surface area of 2,166,086 square kilometres (836,330 sq mi) is considered the world’s largest island, while Australia, at 7,617,930 square kilometres (2,941,300 sq mi) is deemed to be a continent.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

“There is no standard of size which distinguishes islands from islets and continents.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island

So yes, it is rather arbitrary, though that is the convention; and considering that Australia is more than twice as large as Greenland it certainly is at least more of a continent than Greenland.  However, Greenland is sometimes also referred to as a “subcontinent” along with India.

Besides, England is a much smaller island and it isn’t an “island” by A&A standards. :-P  I wasn’t trying to make a complete declaration of fact or get into an argument, I just thought I’d mention that Greenland is considered the largest island in the world; which is a matter of some kind of debate, just as your example of Eurasia vs. Afro-Eurasia is. :wink:

• Ever since the Portuguese discovered Australia in 1520, it was thought to be an island, but in 1986, LANDSAT 5 discovered faint traces of territory boundaries, elevating the land mass to continent status and incidentally invalidating the 1984 Axis and Allies Map.  :-D

• @purplebaron:

Ever since the Portuguese discovered Australia in 1520, it was thought to be an island, but in 1986, LANDSAT 5 discovered faint traces of territory boundaries, elevating the land mass to continent status and incidentally invalidating the 1984 Axis and Allies Map.   :-D

How does it invalidate the 1984 map?

• Pluto is not a planet! End of discussion.

• Precisely. :-D  There have been lots of arbitrary classifications for years.  Some have been clarified, but others haven’t.

• At what point does a conversation turn into a discussion?  When does a discussion turn into an argument?

One thing is clear though, an argument turns into a fight as soon as the fists start flying.  :-D

• @Krieghund:

Greenland is an island.

Hey back up, you guys BS through Kriegs answer, so you can build an AB and scramble from Greenland.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

The 1984 Axis and Allies (MB) map had Australia as a single territory, arguably an island.  Later Axis and Allies maps (and LANDSAT Footage :-D ) show it to have multiple territories.  Clearly a continent.

• @purplebaron:

@calvinhobbesliker:

The 1984 Axis and Allies (MB) map had Australia as a single territory, arguably an island.  Later Axis and Allies maps (and LANDSAT Footage :-D ) show it to have multiple territories.  Clearly a continent.

Nope, Australia was a single territory even in Anniversary

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@SAS:

Greenland = Largest island in the world

No, largest island is Eurasia, or Eurasrica if you think Africa is connected to Asia despite the Suez canal.

I swear it was Australia, but I guess I don’t know anything.

• Official Q&A

Australia was never an island, as it was not surrounded by a single sea zone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m