• I have no idea if this has been posted before, searched, but couldn’t find it, but it has you can link me and lock this…

Is anybody else sad that the Italians lost their unique armor sculpts from A&A50? I am also sad they lost the Japanese arty variant to get the 88, I don’t like how they have an identical set of figures as the Germans, the Japanese arty varient just spoke of “generic field gun” like the Allied arty,while the 88 says something very specific. Why give them the Panther? Also I guess I can understand not giving the French their own new armor sculpt, but why on earth, of the 3 different allied tank sculpts… did they get the T-34 instead of one of the other two!? Granted none of them are French, but surely of the 3 the T-34 makes the least amount of sense right? I would have given them the newer British sculpt, what is that a Valentine or Matilda? Even a Sherman would be better since it can be justified after the Americans liberate them or for Free French, but they never had T-34’s, did they?

I am very happy about the new naval sculpts though, and happy that the Soviets appear to be able to use more than 1 sub ever. I own every kit of A&A, and between them all I must have hundreds and hundreds of Soviet naval units… lol They are soo useless, bombers too, I can’t wait for Global because maybe I’ll buy an carrier or something else that floats!

Sorry, just a contents rant…

• I agree with you on the units. I feel that Italy should have kept the Japanese artillery.

However, I prefer the T-34. My logic is as follows: Shermans are an iconic late war (Post 1941) tank, so the French would never have had them in the game’s time period. The Matilda is a good choice, until you realize that the BEF starts in France so you would have identical tanks in different colors side-by-side.

The T-34 has a passing resemblance to other era tanks, including the Renault R-35.

–-------------

That being said, am I ticked that Italy doesn’t have the original M41 tank from AA50? YES!!!
    I am also ticked that France doesn’t have a unique tank mold.

In my opinion, each country (even ANZAC) should have a unique tank and inf mold. If that means (for ANZAC) having an older UK tank, that’s fine - as long as it is different.

• @reloader-1:

I agree with you on the units. I feel that Italy should have kept the Japanese artillery.

However, I prefer the T-34. My logic is as follows: Shermans are an iconic late war (Post 1941) tank, so the French would never have had them in the game’s time period. The Matilda is a good choice, until you realize that the BEF starts in France so you would have identical tanks in different colors side-by-side.

The T-34 has a passing resemblance to other era tanks, including the Renault R-35.

–-------------

That being said, am I ticked that Italy doesn’t have the original M41 tank from AA50? YES!!!

In my opinion, each country (even ANZAC) should have a unique tank and inf mold. If that means (for ANZAC) having an older UK tank, that’s fine - as long as it is different.

I think the allies should have more than 1 type of artillery

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@reloader-1:

I agree with you on the units. I feel that Italy should have kept the Japanese artillery.

–-------------

I think the allies should have more than 1 type of artillery

An Artillery isn’t even that important of a piece.

• Most casualties in WWI and WWII would disagree with you.

Artillery was the biggest killer in those two wars.

• @reloader-1:

Most casualties in WWI and WWII would disagree with you.

I thought bombers caused the most death(London blitz, bombing of German cities, Firebombing of Japanese cities, atom bombs). Maybe you were talking about military casualties?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@reloader-1:

I thought bombers caused the most death(London blitz, bombing of German cities, Firebombing of Japanese cities, atom bombs). Maybe you were talking about military casualties?

My money would be on Artillery causing the most deaths.  Bombers probably caused the most destruction.

EDIT: Automatic Machine Guns have to be up there.

• '10

I will mix the italians from A&AE40 and A&A Anniversary.

I don’t care about the french game pieces.

• If you have money then just buy the FMG Italian pieces, they are all unique, problem solved.

• @reloader-1:

Of cores, they were, I’m talking about the game.

• I completely agree with you, Zehkaiser, the Italian panther looks very out of place they should have given them the Japanese sculpt.  Though I don’t know why they couldn’t of used the AA 50 Italian mold.  Have they given an actual reason for this?  They should also have given them the Jap art since it is more of a generic older model artillery gun. The french tank doesn’t really matter that much, but I guess I would have preferred the british model, at least they got a cool infantry model.

• '12

@cressman8064:

If you have money then just buy the FMG Italian pieces, they are all unique, problem solved.

They look sure nice, don’t they?  My only complaint is that they used a turreted armored recon car for the mech inf.  Italy did actually have a an open top APC (though it was wheeled, not a half-track) that was used in the balkans as a command vehicle.  Not perfect, but it would have made a better choice IMHO.  Still…gotta have those minis!

• Strongly disagree with the previous poster’s comment. A “command vehicle” is not mech inf. Arguably, neither is an armored car, but it is closer to a halftrack in function. I like the choice very much - adds variety to the board.

• '12

@reloader-1:

Strongly disagree with the previous poster’s comment. A “command vehicle” is not mech inf. Arguably, neither is an armored car, but it is closer to a halftrack in function. I like the choice very much - adds variety to the board.

Actually it was an APC(armored personnel carrier). It was just employed as a command vehicle as they had so few.  As the game is about “what ifs”, the assumption would be more were made and they didn’t have to be kept back.  I’m not sure a why you think a recon vehicle with absolutely no passenger capacity “is closer to a halftrack in function”, but I’ll respect your opinion.  IIRC, the set also includes trucks, which will work just as well.  If I can work with the game using a german AA gun as artillery, I can work with this too.  :-D

• '12

@reloader-1:

Strongly disagree with the previous poster’s comment. A “command vehicle” is not mech inf. Arguably, neither is an armored car, but it is closer to a halftrack in function. I like the choice very much - adds variety to the board.

By the way, here’s a pic of it.  It ain’t pretty, lol:

http://ww2armor.jexiste.fr/Files/Axis/Axis/1-Vehicles/Italy/9-LightVehicles/S.37/S.37.htm

• If I can work with the game using a german AA gun as artillery

you know the 88mm gun was a good aa gun anti armor and artillry so why would you not be ok with that? it was the best anti tank gun in ww2. so really it should get plus 1 attack or defence if the enyme force is all vehicles.

• '12

@i:

If I can work with the game using a german AA gun as artillery

you know the 88mm gun was a good aa gun anti armor and artillry so why would you not be ok with that? it was the best anti tank gun in ww2. so really it should get plus 1 attack or defence if the enyme force is all vehicles.

It was a great AA gun and a tip top AT gun (and was purpose built in both roles).  It was an ad hoc artillery gun.  Still good, but a 105mm would have been more appropriate.  I guess my point is it’s not necessary to use stuff that “kind of” works when there are so many choices that were a perfect fit.  It just strikes me as odd that there were so many complaints about the stuka being used as a fighter but few about this.  On the other hand, perhaps the 88 was chosen as it had a more distinctive look than a 105 would have.  The distinctive look was the reason Rob Daviau gave me for using the stuka, so I’m guessing this is it.  My favorite A&A odd choice though is the German tank on the cover of the original AAE.  It’s the 3 turreted prototype tank.  Only 3 were made and they saw action only in Norway and were not considered successful.  Didn’t take away from the game at all, but I guess the art department folks are not WW2 buffs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m