• Lets suppose UK attacks SZ95 on UK1:

1CV@0, 1tacb@4, 1DD@2 (91) + 1CA@3 (98) + ftr@3 (Alexandria)= 12pts >> 2hits

vs

1BB, 1CA (95) = 7pts >> 1hit R1

Italian BB takes a hit and loses the CA, meanwhile the UK CV takes 1 hit and the Italian roll @1 misses, scoring a total of 1 hit on the UK player.

Now here’s the question, should the UK player retreat to SZ93, does the Naval Base in Southern France repair the UK CV? and if so can the ftr+tac land on it by the non combat movement.

• Official Q&A

No.  Capital ship repairs occur during the owning power’s Purchase and Repair Units phase, which has already been completed.  The carrier would be repaired on UK’s next turn, assuming it was still there and Southern France was still held by the Allies.

• Why, in the name of all that is holy, are you bringing the carrier into the attack.

If you take hits….put them on the destroyer and cruiser so you have no surface commitment to that SZ.

Noncombat move your carrier to the french fleets position and reload it with fighters if neccisary.

• @oztea:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, are you bringing the carrier into the attack.

If you take hits….put them on the destroyer and cruiser so you have no surface commitment to that SZ.

Noncombat move your carrier to the french fleets position and reload it with fighters if neccisary.

That assumes there is a french fleet.

• @oztea:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, are you bringing the carrier into the attack.

nt

Did you not UNDERSTAND the question?? I wasn’t too sure how repairs worked for friendly ships. If the non-combat repair that i thought was correct, would’ve meant no casualties for the UK and 1 casualty for Italy.
    With SZ 93 @
    1CV, 1tac, 1DD, 2CA, 1ftr and possibly 2tt.
    It doesn’t matter anyway Krieghund clarified it, thanks Krieg! <3

• What I want to know is why any UK player would prefer to go after the Italian fleet rather than try to save Britain from Sea Lion???  What German player worth his salt would not prepare for Sea Lion on the first turn???  Yes, the UK can defeat that Italian fleet, the Italians will take Egypt(primary objective secure), the rest of the Italian fleet gets sunk, Germany gets about 29 IPC’s on turn 2(invasion turn) in addition to the 17 from France turn one, and UK can no long build anything.  France is gone turn one, and Germany gets one turn to prepare for USSR using its, France, and UK’s IPC’s.  Let the Italians play, get the French fleet out if you can.  Just try to save Britain, PLEASE!  Why is this so hard for people at this site to figure out???  Why the target fixation on the Italians?  I dont get it.

• @miamibeach:

What I want to know is why any UK player would prefer to go after the Italian fleet rather than try to save Britain from Sea Lion???  What German player worth his salt would not prepare for Sea Lion on the first turn???  Yes, the UK can defeat that Italian fleet, the Italians will take Egypt(primary objective secure), the rest of the Italian fleet gets sunk, Germany gets about 29 IPC’s on turn 2(invasion turn) in addition to the 17 from France turn one, and UK can no long build anything.  France is gone turn one, and Germany gets one turn to prepare for USSR using its, France, and UK’s IPC’s.  Let the Italians play, get the French fleet out if you can.  Just try to save Britain, PLEASE!  Why is this so hard for people at this site to figure out???  Why the target fixation on the Italians?  I dont get it.

Because that carrier is better used to keep the Italians from dominating the Med.  UK cannot afford to produce ships AND land assests to defend against a sea lion, and grouping all your remaining ships up so that they can be scuttled by the Luftwafte isn’t really a great plan either!

As it stands the UK attack on SZ95 is a no-brainer in terms of weaking the italians position in the med, hopefully long enough that Britain can reinforce Egypt with units from India, preventing critical lose of IPCs to the Axis while your continuing to build land units in the UK proper.

• Not sure how it may turn out delaying Italy one turn at sz95

If the UK takes out the first Italian fleet, it may not be able to rebuild ships off of the UK safely or prevent Sea lion with only 29 main ipcs.  
    Italy could build one DD to block the French or attack the French fleet or the remaining UK in the Med. with fig.

Germany will be a strong counter the next turn and the UK may not have any navy left.  one or two German TR might be enough of a Sea lion threat to prevent the UK from attacking the Italian fleet.

If the Uk can be protected, then Moving the CV and other ships protect the French Fleet in sz 93 might be the better risk.  French fleet could leave on its turn and then the UK on its turn before Italy moves again

• '10

@oztea:

Easy.

The carrier take two hits like a BB.

Gives you time to score hits on enemy capital ships.

By the way… This carrier ist german sub-fodder. :-D

• If you take the CV/TAC/DD and go after the Italians, Sea Lion takes out UK.  Does that sound like a good trade to you?  If that does, then I would be bored playing you in AA since I would kick you butt every game.

• It all depends on the how the Germans built, attacked and rolled on G1. There are situations where you can spare the CV in the med (and sometimes even the DD) and in these cases i think you should take out the Italian BB, CA and TRS). The Italians should not be allowed to keep 2 TRS the first turn if it can be avoided as they will overwhelm Africa if they do. I think that we will see planes from India arriving in Africa quite often. Sinking a TRS and reinforcing with planes from India (witch can be used to destroy the Italians in East Africa) might make it possible to hold on to Egypt until reinforcements from South Africa and India (allining Persia and taking over Iraq on the way) arrives.

• The German player would be dumb if he did’nt build at least a CV and a TRS(plus either another TRS or SUB).  Then wipe out everything on UK with 3FTR’s/3TAC/1BOMB.  If after all that, the UK goes after the Italian fleet in SZ95, the Axis players are high-fiveing each other.  I’ll trade the Italian fleet for UK and Egypt anyday.  UK cannot hold Egypt…but lets say the UK can…I’d still trade UK for the Italian fleet.  If you remove FTR’s from India, Japan takes India quicker and easier…and sends some of its own 28+ aircraft to Africa/Europe.  Keeping UK alive is far more important than sinking the Italian fleet.  Attacking SZ95 is a good tactic if you are playing your little sister.

• Lets say the German builds an AC and 2 TRS and kills your entire fleet in the North Atlantic. He now has his entire fleet in SZ 112. How do you plan to use your AC and DD off Gibraltar to stop the German attack? Do you attack the German fleet with everything you have? It has a less then 20 % that you will kill the transports, the German has capital ships and are positioned next to a naval base. That attack is madness. Do you build fleet and place it in 110? The German can go round that fleet and attack the UK from 109 and he is also strong enough to kill your fleet and invade an England that is hardly defended. The only way to defend against a Sea Lion G2 if the German positioned themselfs in this way is to build all inf in England. In this case the German will most likely invade and either start gearing against the Russians or build a shitload of transports so he can invade in G3. If he does not invade you dont want a carrier and a destroyer within three squares from sz 112 as the German fleet does not have much to do but killing it. Im quite sure its of better used killing the Italian main fleet.

Bringing planes from India makes India weaker but not that much. If 2 planes leave and India gets the extra inf from west india i do not think it will do that much of a diffrence. Those two planes can make a huge contribution in Africa.

• @Dany:

Lets say the German builds an AC and 2 TRS and kills your entire fleet in the North Atlantic. He now has his entire fleet in SZ 112. How do you plan to use your AC and DD off Gibraltar to stop the German attack? Do you attack the German fleet with everything you have? It has a less then 20 % that you will kill the transports, the German has capital ships and are positioned next to a naval base. That attack is madness. Do you build fleet and place it in 110? The German can go round that fleet and attack the UK from 109 and he is also strong enough to kill your fleet and invade an England that is hardly defended. The only way to defend against a Sea Lion G2 if the German positioned themselfs in this way is to build all inf in England. In this case the German will most likely invade and either start gearing against the Russians or build a shitload of transports so he can invade in G3. If he does not invade you dont want a carrier and a destroyer within three squares from sz 112 as the German fleet does not have much to do but killing it. Im quite sure its of better used killing the Italian main fleet.

Bringing planes from India makes India weaker but not that much. If 2 planes leave and India gets the extra inf from west india i do not think it will do that much of a diffrence. Those two planes can make a huge contribution in Africa.

If the Germans build a AC and 2 TRNs in SZ 112 then I build 9 inf in UK and transport another inf and tank from Canada over to UK, plus the 2 inf and 3 ftrs that are already there.  Considering I have AA that will shoot down 1 maybe even 2 German aircraft…I hope the Germans try a G2 Sealion.  I could also land the TAC in U.K. for extra security.  I don’t believe a G2 Sealion is viable against a competent UK player.

• @panzerjager:

@Dany:

Lets say the German builds an AC and 2 TRS and kills your entire fleet in the North Atlantic. He now has his entire fleet in SZ 112. How do you plan to use your AC and DD off Gibraltar to stop the German attack? Do you attack the German fleet with everything you have? It has a less then 20 % that you will kill the transports, the German has capital ships and are positioned next to a naval base. That attack is madness. Do you build fleet and place it in 110? The German can go round that fleet and attack the UK from 109 and he is also strong enough to kill your fleet and invade an England that is hardly defended. The only way to defend against a Sea Lion G2 if the German positioned themselfs in this way is to build all inf in England. In this case the German will most likely invade and either start gearing against the Russians or build a shitload of transports so he can invade in G3. If he does not invade you dont want a carrier and a destroyer within three squares from sz 112 as the German fleet does not have much to do but killing it. Im quite sure its of better used killing the Italian main fleet.

If the Germans build a AC and 2 TRNs in SZ 112 then I build 9 inf in UK and transport another inf and tank from Canada over to UK, plus the 2 inf and 3 ftrs that are already there.  Considering I have AA that will shoot down 1 maybe even 2 German aircraft…I hope the Germans try a G2 Sealion.  I could also land the TAC in U.K. for extra security.  I don’t believe a G2 Sealion is viable against a competent UK player.

I agree, my point is that the CV is not whats going to save the UK and therefore it can be used in the med. The problem is not the G2 Sea Lion but the G3 Sea Lion. Anyway the CV wont help here either.

On another note i think that if the German is serious about a Sea Lion he would make sure to take out the Canadian TRS. The TRS and DD in 109 in less of a problem for them.

• Turn 1(UK)…attack German fleet in SZ112:
    Germany= 1CV(2FTR’s), 1BB(damaged?), 1CA, 1SUB, 3TRS.[4,4,4,3,2,2].  
    vs
    UK= 1CV(1TAC), 2BB’s, 2CA’s, 1DD.[4,4,3,3,3,2]

How is that 20%???  Looks like 50% to me.

Yes, UK builds 9INF.  Is that enough vs 3INF/3ARM/1BB/1Bomber/2FTRs?  Why would you take that chance to lose UK?  Hit the German fleet with the entire UK fleet…at the very least Germany will have 2 less FTR’s in the attack on UK.  Its the only chance UK has vs Sea Lion.

The 2 extra FTR’s are not enough to stop Italy from taking Egypt on turn two.  The 2nd Italian fleet with TRS(1INF/1ARM) will invade Transjordan, the two Italian FTR’s in Italy move to N. Africa.  The only way to stop Italy from taking Egypt on turn two is to not lose the UK TAC/FTR(originally from Egypt) in the naval battles, and send them all including FTR’s from India into Egypt.  In which case the Italians wait one extra turn…on turn two align Iraq, take out Sudan and get about 5-6 more INF into the battle on turn 3.

If you go with your Med strategy as UK, then in the mean time Japan is salivating over an easy India, and Sea Lion may have taken out UK.  The UK cant build any more units, the Germans can use their Sea Lion TRS vs the Russians, and have about 17(France)+29(UK)=46 extra IPC’s to build for Russia.  Not to mention the 46(at least) economy Germany now has.  A very depressing game for the Allies.

• I did not bother to mention the 2SUBS taking out the DD/TRS in 106, and the 2SUBS taking out the DD/TRS in 109 because I see that as obvious…so no transport of anything from Canada.  The 2INF and 3FTR’s in UK are killed on turn 1 by the German 3FTR’s/3TAC/1BOMBER(I think I mentioned that several times)…should lose only 1 FTR to AA.  There will only be 9INF in UK when Sea Lion happens.  G3 Sea Lion is probably not possible with a competent UK player.

• Why do you think that UK will have 2 BB’s and 1 CA’s left after G1?

• Sorry, 2BB’s, 1 CA, 1DD.

• My G1 attacks would be

SZ 112: BB, CA, 1 plane, 1 sub
    SZ 111: 2 subs, 3 planes
    SZ 110: 1 sub, 4 planes
    SZ 106: 1 sub (hope for the best)

I would never strike the UK in G1. This might lose me a plane or two but ill rather loose them killing a BB then a fig. The likely attack then is: 3 figs, 1 tac, 2 dd (4,3,3,3,2,2) against 1 bb, 1 cv, 2 fig and 1 ca (4,4,4,3,2) the diffrance is that the German can soak 2 hits before it starts taking dmg, hits they will have no problem taking as they are next to a naval base.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m