• I really love Axis and Allies in general, but I really love Pacific 1940 in specific. I played a game of Anniversary Monday night, and while the European theater seemed fine, I couldn’t help but pine for the Pacific theater of AAP40. The Pacific in Classic, Revised, Anniversary, and Spring 1942 seems so flat. On the allied side it all falls on the United States, usually. Sure, the British often get a factory on India, but even then, Australia is still lifeless. The Pacific of AAP40 is alive, dynamic. Islands like the Carolines are vital, even without giving any IPCs. AA50-41’s Pacific just feels like Japan takes over everything, then hopes the US doesn’t care enough to build up and destroy their navy. AAP40 is the exact opposite of that, its a tense struggle to the end. I think AAG40 will only make it more interesting with the Soviets as a factor. I think the US won’t have the luxury of ignoring Japan, I can see already that if they dump that 80+ IPCs all to the east that Japan will grow to be an unstoppable monster.

Even compared with classic AAP I think AAP40 shines. Sure, the VP mechanical was cool and makes AAP a worthy game to play since it does have a very different feel and objective than other AA games. I like AAP a lot, and I think treating the British as split income rather than having ANZAC as a separate power made and makes a lot of sense. It was a more historically minded game in some ways too; Japan’s economy could never hope to compete with the US’s 75. Still, AAP40 feels a lot more epic to me. Japan and the US are locked in an epic struggle, rather than Japan being locked into the role of having to loose as slowly as possible to win.

Sure, the production problems were annoying, but we got our Tac Bombers in the end, and its easy enough to make minor adjustments to the setup to make J1 less overwhelming. I think the good of AAP40 greatly outshines the bad. Still, I do think WOTC are chimps.

So, who here agrees with me that AAP40 is their favorite AA, at least until AAE40 comes out?

• AAP40 is second. AA50 is first but i have a feeling not for long. When G40 comes out I think it will go.
    1.G40
    2.AA50
    3.E40
    4.P40

I just think global theaters are awsome. I wouldent buy 40 if they dident combine. I have 2 of every AA global game except AA50 since it was bloody expensive.

• What kind of American says “bloody?”

• I do. my dad was british and so was my mom but born in america and I hate that foggy island.

• @Proud:

I do. my dad was british and so was my mom but born in america and I hate that foggy island.

Nice save.

And I agree with you on your game rankings.  I loved AA50, but more territories, types of units, sea zones and powers gives 1940 a huge advantage.  I love how Egypt, TrJ, and East Africa don’t all touch the same sea zone, how the Baltic Sea is split up, how Russia and China are finally epically huge, etc.

AA50, it was a fun ride for 2 years, but I’m afraid you’re 2 weeks from suffering the same fate as the Original, as far as I’m concerned….

• For Face to Face games, AA50 maybe be the better choice (less time to finish a game).

But for the cyberworld-

AAG40![

• Good point, Speller.  I guess I’m referring to online, unlimited time games.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Proud:

I have 2 of every AA global game except AA50 since it was bloody expensive.

It’s bloody expensive now… $799.99 USD.

• @LHoffman:

@Proud:

Guess what……NOT ON EBAY. I got my AA50 about a month ago for $300 from ebay. IF you go with amazon then ya its that big.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Proud:

@LHoffman:

@Proud:

Guess what……NOT ON EBAY. I got my AA50 about a month ago for $300 from ebay. IF you go with amazon then ya its that big.

NEW? at $300 … I would still call that bloody expensive, for a boardgame, but not as bad as $800.

• @LHoffman:

@Proud:

@LHoffman:

@Proud:

NEW? at $300 … I would still call that bloody expensive, for a boardgame, but not as bad as $800.

YEs its new and yes its expensive. But its better than Amazon.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m