Balanced theaters (AKA the end of KGF and KJF)

• While people will continue to have complaints about the game (notably: errata, part counts and quality, unit sculpts, J1 attack, etc), I feel comfortable in stating my belief that AAG40 will be hands down the best A&A game yet.

There are many reasons for this that one could point to, but I believe that the fundamental genius of this version of the game is that it will finally force a truly balanced offense on the part of all players.  In previous versions of the game there was usually (if not always) a dominant strategy that was ahistorical and imbalancing.  In earlier versions of the global game, it was the KGF strategy, often to the point of ignoring Japan altogether.  In AA50-1941, it was the German tank blitz, in AAE, it was the German infantry push, and in AAP and AAP40, it was the India Crush.  All wargames are simulation to one degree or another, and simulations tend to break down at the extremes.  To use the earlier global games as an example, that extreme was in all three allies devoting 90% or more of their forces towards attacking Germany, resulting in a German turtle, a Japanese juggernaut, a warped and vastly ahistorical progression of the war and (I would argue) a less satisfying game (my group tends to eschew KGF simply because it’s too repetitive and unfun).  People blame the Japanese Tank Drive to Moscow on Siberia being too small and too valuable, and while that’s partly true, the larger aspect that people miss is that it happens because the incentives are set up to drive all of the allies away from Japan and towards Germany, meaning that Japan is expanding almost without opposition in all directions.  Moscow is actually their closest active opponent.  When I play tournament games as Japan, it is not uncommon for me to have the entirety of the Pacific, Australia, Siberia, and Alaska under my control by the fourth or fifth turn, with transports and tanks threatening Africa and North America.

There are two ways that Larry and the other designers/playtesters managed this.

1. National objectives, particularly in the Pacific make it worthwhile for US, Japan, and UK/ANZAC to fight over the control of the Pacific.
    2. Segmented production.  By spreading out the Allies production centers, you force them to fight in more areas of the board.  For example, when India has no IC, it’s easy to choose to abandon it.  You can also choose to build one there, but then holding it becomes even more important and losing it can be crippling.  By starting the game with an IC there, you simultaneously give the UK both the incentive and the means to defend it.  Similarly, consider the IC in South Africa.  The smart money says you need to be buying three tanks a turn there to have a chance of holding Africa, but that also means that you can’t be dumping all of your money into a monster navy or a massive air force of strategic bombers.  It forces balance.  All of the previous global A&A games had two Axis centers (Germany/Italy and Japan) against three Allied centers (the allied capitals), and the Allied centers were much closer to Germany than to Japan, so no wonder KGF was such a dominant strategy.  AAG40 raises the number of Allied production and defense centers from three to seven (US, UK, USSR, China, ANZAC, India, South Africa).  I think that this will force the war to become more global and more balanced.  There will be more room for strategic maneuver and application of limited forces.  The game will become less reliant on gambits and more reliant on cohesive strategies.  I think it will be a masterpiece.  I can’t wait.

• Well thought out points to ponder, Purplebaron.  Nice article.

• @purplebaron:

Segmented production.  By spreading out the Allies production centers, you force them to fight in more areas of the board.  For example, when India has no IC, it’s easy to choose to abandon it.  You can also choose to build one there, but then holding it becomes even more important and losing it can be crippling.  By starting the game with an IC there, you simultaneously give the UK both the incentive and the means to defend it.  Similarly, consider the IC in South Africa.  The smart money says you need to be buying three tanks a turn there to have a chance of holding Africa, but that also means that you can’t be dumping all of your money into a monster navy or a massive air force of strategic bombers.  It forces balance.  All of the previous global A&A games had two Axis centers (Germany/Italy and Japan) against three Allied centers (the allied capitals), and the Allied centers were much closer to Germany than to Japan, so no wonder KGF was such a dominant strategy.  AAG40 raises the number of Allied production and defense centers from three to seven (US, UK, USSR, China, ANZAC, India, South Africa).  I think that this will force the war to become more global and more balanced.  There will be more room for strategic maneuver and application of limited forces.  The game will become less reliant on gambits and more reliant on cohesive strategies.  I think it will be a masterpiece.  I can’t wait.

It’s true. Most people measure game balance in terms of the combat units on the board, and ignore the infrastructure (industrial complexes and naval & air bases). However, I think that a lot of swing is produced by capturing enemy infrastructure, and denying your opponent the use of it.

Here’s how the infrastructure balance goes in Europe 40:

Germany: 72 IPCs
    Italy: 72 IPCs

Axis Total: 144 IPCs

UK: 219 IPCs
    USSR: 99 IPCs
    France: 105 IPCs
    US: 60 IPCs

Allies Total: 483 IPCs

While it’s advantageous to control these facilities, they are also static liabilities in that they are generally incapable of self-defense, and will usually tie up units to ensure that they do not change hands. While economically-speaking the Allies have the upper hand, they do not usually start out with overwhelming forces on the board. And of course, the Axis are initially well-poised to devour many undefended or lightly-defended infrastructure-bearing territories and protect them with their larger starting armies. In Pacific, the air and naval bases acted on rungs on a ladder: each new one controlled led Japan closer to its objectives. It’s hard to imagine that this dynamic won’t be replicated on the Europe map.

• ok I know this will make me look dumb but what does KGF and KJF stand for.  Other than that I really liked what you had to say and I’m really looking forward to the global game.  I’ve been reading alot on these forums that people want to play AAE40 first before they play the global game so they can get used to the strategies of it before they play the global game.  IMO this is a mistake because (for the reasons you mentioned) the global game will require strategies that are unique to the global game.  I think that the global game will be so different (at least strategy wise) from AAE40 and AAP40 that it will be a different game altogether.  I love it when I can get 3 games for the price of 2.

• @Bruda_Iz:

ok I know this will make me look dumb but what does KGF and KJF stand for.  Other than that I really liked what you had to say and I’m really looking forward to the global game.  I’ve been reading alot on these forums that people want to play AAE40 first before they play the global game so they can get used to the strategies of it before they play the global game.  IMO this is a mistake because (for the reasons you mentioned) the global game will require strategies that are unique to the global game.  I think that the global game will be so different (at least strategy wise) from AAE40 and AAP40 that it will be a different game altogether.  I love it when I can get 3 games for the price of 2.

KGF = Kill Germany First
    KJF = Kill Japan First

• Does anyone seriously try a kill Japan first strategy?  It seems like that would be tough to pull off.

• @Bruda_Iz:

Does anyone seriously try a kill Japan first strategy?  It seems like that would be tough to pull off.

Not people who are trying to win.  ;-)

I would guess that in most cases people who play KJF are either in a very casual game and want something different, or they’re much better than their opponent and are trying to balance the game without a bid.

• Or what you could do is just a PMKJF or “pretty much kill Japan first” strategy  :wink:. Just take all of their money territories except their home island (b/c that will be really fortified and difficult to take) and then keep a small fleet surrounding them until you kill germany next. This is good b/c while simultaneously having the U.S. dominate a naturally weaker opponent, you also increase the threat on germany b/c England will climb back up to their monster 50 income (that they have in AA50) with all of their bonuses and money islands (such as borneo and the east indies).

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@The:

Or what you could do is just a PMKJF or “pretty much kill Japan first” strategy  :wink:. Just take all of their money territories except their home island (b/c that will be really fortified and difficult to take) and then keep a small fleet surrounding them until you kill germany next. This is good b/c while simultaneously having the U.S. dominate a naturally weaker opponent, you also increase the threat on germany b/c England will climb back up to their monster 50 income (that they have in AA50) with all of their bonuses and money islands (such as borneo and the east indies).

Much easier said than done. The downside is that this would take a number of turns to accomplish… thus becoming a full blown KJF for the US. Hopefully, by the time all the US ships are in Tokyo Bay, Russia will still be standing… otherwise the game is basically done. Unfortunately, Britain and Russia alone cannot take out Germany and Italy… Even if Russia was barely standing by the time the US accomplished objective 1, it would take them a further number of turns to get fighting units into Europe. Russia would certainly fall by this time, and then the Allies would be in trouble. Just my thoughts…

Other than that, great and encouraging statements by the Baron. Well said.

• @LHoffman:

Other than that, great and encouraging statements by the Baron. Well said.

Thank LHoffman and others for all the kind words.  I just hope to provoke some thought and initial strategization during these last three weeks of anticipation.  Sadly, for me I get very little actual game play these days (married with two small kids and most of my opponents live in other states now).  Does anyone here live in Pasadena or the greater Los Angeles area?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@purplebaron:

Does anyone here live in Pasadena or the greater Los Angeles area?

Sorry, no dice here. I live in Ohio. But, if you are ever passing through Toledo, or the area, let me know… My brothers and I would love a game with you.

• @LHoffman:

@purplebaron:

Does anyone here live in Pasadena or the greater Los Angeles area?

Sorry, no dice here. I live in Ohio. But, if you are ever passing through Toledo, or the area, let me know… My brothers and I would love a game with you.

Thanks for the invite, I will definitely take you up on it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m