• I am currently building custom Axis and Allies militaries, such as Panzer Division, Afrika Korps, etc…the painting is moving along smoothly, my only problem is I would like more variety in my armies other than the original Axis And Allies game pieces. I already know about 1 72 scale model soldiers, however I was wondering how about armor, other vehicles, airplanes, and that sort of thing. My questions are…

1. What scale sizes are the Axis and Allies tanks and planes
    2. Do and model or toy companies make different styled tanks and planes on the same scale
    3. What are the companies names and where can I acquire them

1. What scale sizes are the Axis and Allies tanks and planes

1/285 or 1/300 and 1/700

1. Do and model or toy companies make different styled tanks and planes on the same scale

Yes check thread stickied on that

1. What are the companies names and where can I acquire them

same as answer 2

• Thank you very much for the info, I have been checking out some different ones, however I can’t believe how expensive they are, for such little pieces of metal/plastic!!

• I have been checking out some different ones, however I can’t believe how expensive they are, for such little pieces of metal/plastic!!

Well that’s the problem.
    I probably spend more than $200 for extra pieces.
    1/72 for Infantry is the best.
    You can also find 1/87 infantry but it’s only available in USSR,USA and Germany.
    For truck and tank: GHQ, CinC, skytrex.
    For the plane: Trumpeteer, Skywave (Pit Road), Hasegawa.

• Skywave (Pit Road), Hasegawa

I think these are unusable. They are really too small. I own sets from both. Only the larger bombers are acceptable. The fighters are really small.

• I think these are unusable. They are really too small. I own sets from both. Only the larger bombers are acceptable. The fighters are really small.
    You’re right for some of those as the fighters.
    ME 109, FW 190, the Airacobra and the Zero are little bit too small but others seems OK like the P47 and the P38.
    I used light bomber and air transport in my game so I found good pieces as the B25 and B26 as weel as the junkers JU 88 and Heinkel HE 111.
    I like my JU 52 but the B17 and B29 are my favorite.

• I’ve been looking at the 1 72 infantry, they’re fairly resonable in comparison to the micro armor, atleast for around $10 you can get usually 50ish soldiers, the armor is like $10 plus $6 shipping. that’s just obsurd.

• As far as micro armor goes, which company makes the best, ratio wise factoring: cost/quality/durability

As for right now I’m weighing three different companies, GHQ/Skytrex/CinC

By my observation, GHQ is the most detailed, but not the most durable, but is also the most expensive. CinC has good detail, and offer at a resonable price; however with lower prices am I exchanging that for quality and longevity? Skytrex sells them by ones, of course you could order multiple, but once again they are expensive reading 2 pounds per single vehicle, and with no picture I can’t tell whether the detail and quality is there.

I have ruled that the most bang for my buck definently goes to CinC. Would any agree or disagree to that?

• Skytrex 100%.

Cheapest, most durable, and more close to AA scale which is really between 1/300 and 1/285. They also have unique types of units like V-1 and coastal guns, sub pens, etc.

GHQ is a little larger though they claim its 1/285

• I have a few concerns about Skytrex though. For one the don’t have pictured catalogs so I’m kind of concerned what I’m purchasing, it seems every manufacturer creates their own spin on every tank so it’s name could be something other that what I have in mine. Another concern is I am unsure whether it’s cheaper, the price says 2 pounds, is that more or less than $2, I know the Euro is more and I thought England dropped the whole pound thing.

Has anyone purchased a Skytrex micro armor recently and would like to please ease my mind a bit.

• Thank you all for the information I think I’ve made up my mind.

• Imp-
    Thanks for the link for the comparision of all the different makes of miniature armour! Very helpful!
    Thoes426 :evil:

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

I chose pieces from GHQ that were still well known but because GHQ metal is soft the barrels will bend. For the Amerciabs I code the 105mm Sherman since it had a shorter barrel than the 75mm and still looks like the Sherman, it is a Sherman. I would of liked a PZIV for the Germans but went with short barreled pZIII and IV, used the Tiger 1 for the heavy tank. Choices can be made to help ensure that you pieces look good, but endure handling.
    I agree not to use GHQ for ships, way too fragile.

• I agree not to use GHQ for ships, way too fragile.

They are not in scale either unless you just buy the destroyers which are expensive. I prefer destroyers by GHQ because of the detail, but only buy the packs with 4-5 and larger models

Also these are hollow and very soft. The subs are entirely unusable. I stay with plastic for subs because they are all too flexible.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Yes, I agree IL, I also will keep the plastic subs except for Japanese, I am using the metal I-400 model.
    I thought about using GHQ destroyers , but decided to stay with the panzerschiffe models.

• I find them very brittle. The smokestacks break off too easily.

Also they cost like $4 each! and you only get one!

But i see the idea to keep an all plastic set and it is more standardized. I have many of them as well, but mostly WW1

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m