My way of balancing pacific 1940, good for j1, j2, and j3

• Customizer

My way of balancing pacific 1940,
    fixes J1 while leaving J2 and J3 alone.
    solution:

change starting setup by
    having the UK 2 transport start in sz 39 instead of sz37

in other words, the entire UK fleet (except for the BB) starts together off the coast of India.
    the BB still starts in sz37.

How does that affect the game?

basically, J1 attacks can no longer take out 2 uk transports,
    and J2 and J3 type attacks are identical to before.

the UK can still pick up infantry at malaya and drop off on the dutch islands just like before (because india has a naval base).
    And japan can still choose to attack the BB, they just won’t get two free transports with it.

Why is this better than other ways of balancing?

most other ways of balancing J1 end up un-balancing J2 and J3,
    things like having the USA immediately get their 40 NO after a japanese attack mean that while J1 gets balanced, J2 and J3 type attacks become less balanced.
    for example, lets say I decide as Japan to wait until j2 to declare war.  suddenly USA gets a huge boost. 
    it is generally agreed that J2 and J3 are pretty balanced already, so having funky rules like this would ruin those options.

what do you guys think?
    thx,
    veqryn

• Sounds good, I wonder if Kreig or any other “official” guys have an input on this?

• I did find it strange that the UK has no trpts off Indian coast (it is its production center and there’s normally trpts next to a capital or IC). Maybe your on to something. Moving just one to India could make a difference. UK could sneak back and liberate its self after a J3 Indian crush.

• Yea, I like this change to the OOB rules the best because it only changes one little think that does have absolutely no change on a J2 or J3 attack

• Still does nothing to stop the India crush, yes UK gets an extra 4 bucks turn 1 but thats it.

India crush is the balance problem, and it can be done just as easily with a turn 2 DOW as a turn 1, haven’t seen a turn 3 DOW that works but sure its out there.

Ironically, global will remove the India crush with the simple sea zone additions near India.

• I don’t see why everyone is trying to change the set up.  My friend and I have played multiple games and are about 50/50 on who wins.  With half of the Axis wins on a J4 attack.  I love the challenge of trying to stop Japan.  In the end does it really matter after global is out.

• This change makes almost no difference.  Japan will just lose one more plane in their attack on India if they follow up with a J3 India crush.  My best advice is to bid, and be smart about bidding in a way that will encourage the Japanese player to wait.  For example, placing a destroyer off of Hawaii and placing 2 infantry in the Philippines.  Reduces the amount of damage a J1 attack can do, and lets America enter the war faster.  However, this bid will have a smaller impact on a J2 or J3 attack

• Since the J3 crush depends on taking Java. What if the set up for the Brit fleet was changed to:

1TT in India
    1CA and 1TT in Singapore
    1BB and 1DD in Java

The original pieces are still in roughly the same waters, so J2 and J3 should not be impacted.

But, this makes taking Java on J1 a little tougher. Assuming the Brit BB and and DD are attacked J1, by a loaded CV and a BB and DD, the J force should take 1, maybe 2 hits. This could make the J force attack-able by B with it’s air force on B1.

If that set up is not strong enough to counter the J3 crush, maybe we could add a SS to the TT in India.

I’m just thinking “out loud”. Trying to come up with a simple way to stop the J3 crush, without affecting a J2 or J3 attack.

Unfortunately, I will not have a chance to play test this until the 24th. So, until then, its just an idea. What do you think?

• '10

I haven’t stayed right on top of all the setup-change discussion, but has anybody suggested putting one or two infantry in each of the Dutch territories?  It seems like this would maybe make the Japs work a little harder for the DEI, possibly enough to weaken the India Crush a little.

• My thinking is as a separate game this setup is flawed, but I’m betting anything that the Global game (the one we are all going to play from here on out for the most part) is pretty balanced with the addition of all those Russian infantry to the North of Manchuria. Something tells me that India crush strategy will take a beating.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m