In your opinion, what is strategically your favorite army to play and why?

• Mine would have to have to be USSR. I like the purely land and air based campaign and not having to worry about defending islands or overseas territories. I also like having one aspect to focus on entirely: survival

• Well, I feel that Germany is the best power to play because they’re very diverse in terms of units that they use, for example: Russia is primarily land units and Japan is primarily naval and air units. Whereas Germany has the ability, and needs the ability, to use all units that are included in the game. Also, they aren’t spread around the map like the UK. Plus, they start out very strong both economically and militarily. For these reasons I feel that the best power to play is Germany.

• UK is my favorite in global.  Being a balanced nation spread all across the globe allows for a lot of creativity

• I like Germany I like fighting the Eastern Front more then anything else.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Dylan:

I like Germany I like fighting the Eastern Front more then anything else.

True dat. This might be my favorite aspect of play, which is why I am excited for the large Russian front in store for Euro-Global 40.

@Rommel:

Well, I feel that Germany is the best power to play because they’re very diverse in terms of units that they use, for example: Russia is primarily land units and Japan is primarily naval and air units. Whereas Germany has the ability, and needs the ability, to use all units that are included in the game.

I would agree that Germany is one of my favorites to play with, but not necessarily that their unit choices are “very diverse”. In my experience, Germany has the resources and need, in any typical game, to buy massive amounts of tanks. Other normal purchases for Germany include infantry, fighters and maybe a bomber once in a while. Other than that, I have not had the resources to divert to producing other units. Much as I would love a German Navy, there is no way you can spend money on that AND fight Russia; Russia will beat you on land and Britain will destroy you on the water.

I would say the most diverse countries to play with are the UK, USA and Japan. All three have need of all types of units and will, in any given game, purchase one of everything… except subs. Subs are pretty well useless in my opinion.

I’d say best overall is the UK. They are everywhere and doing everything. Very fun to play with. The biggest challenge is Germany, and therefore I think very fun also. Japan is quite fun because you can really spread out and run over people early in the game and build an empire. The US is nice because they can basically do whatever they want. They are pretty boring to begin with, but once they get rolling, nobody can stop them.

• UK was always my favourite in all games because they are not a powerhouse but they can affect all the fronts and fight everywhere. A UK+ANZAC player would be very sweet  :-D

• Italy might be fun now, because right now they have their small empire, but if you could get past Egypt and the Med, you could really build a big empire.

• Japan.

I’ve always been a bit of a geek, reading and admiring the tactics of the 19th and 20th century naval warfare, and advent of the areoplane and submarine only makes Japan’s aspects in these terms more interesting, at least personally for me. I think reading Kaigun may have had quite an influence of me.

• Actually, believe it or not, ANZAC. I’ve always liked playing as the underdog, and more than once my Japanese opponent has claimed that I turned the ANZAC faction from “thorn in the side of Japan” to a “razor sharp knife in the side”.

• Germany and U.K. have to be the best “strategically” to play becuase of Germanys vast spread of options on who and how to attack.  As for U.K. you are short on cash and spread around the world under constant attack which makes each game full and exciting to play….at least until you’ve been wiped off the map.  :-)

• Italy and ANZAC are my favorite.  Italy simply because the allies CAN’T ignore you but they usually do.  By the time they realize their mistake, you have a nice little empire and can be a lot tougher then anyone thinks.  (I find that a lot of players somehow equate Italy’s real-life ineptitude in the war into “ok, hey can’t do anything without Germany” in-game)

ANZAC does the same thing in AAP40.  I’ve had a couple games where I played the Aussies and had the Japan player look down and mutter “where the hell did all those subs come from???”  (make a quick land grab in DEI then pumped everything into sub fleet with some fighter backup.)

• @Admiral:

Japan.

I think reading Kaigun may have had quite an influence of me.

I loved Kaigun.  Wrote my senior thesis in History based on that book.
    Anyways, my fav to play is the US, 'cause I like to be the good guys… and there’s really no pressure.  I can let someone else screw up then bail them out at the last minute.  Always fun.

• Italy and China. Italy is always fun because they have limitless potential. They are underrated and small, so it requires a certian amount of skill and cunning(and as always a certian amount of luck) to win, making them alot of fun. In one game of AA50, I had taken Egypt and Brazil, with factories in both before the allies ceeded.

I’ve always had a soft spot for China, lived there for a time, they had such a rough time during the war. Also, any time they are an option to play, you know its going to be one hell of fight just to survive. The china theater was such an intresting and confusing front, and recreating and playing this in a board game is not just a passion, but ahellofa lotta fun :)

• As you may be able to tell from my avatar, I like the UK. It has a balanced force of land, sea, and air, and in E40 will be able to affect all fronts. Of course, Japan also is balanced but they only have a few fronts, and I have a moral problem with the Japanese

@calvinhobbesliker:

As you may be able to tell from my avatar, I like the UK. It has a balanced force of land, sea, and air, and in E40 will be able to affect all fronts. Of course, Japan also is balanced but they only have a few fronts, and I have a moral problem with the Japanese

Not the Germans? Or did the Japs personally affect you somehow… if you would care to share.

• Germans too. If I see a game I’m not playing, I usually want the allies to win

Nothing personal, but here’s an interesting fact:

During the war, Japan recruited captured Indian soldiers to fight for Japan to “liberate” India. Now, India was going to be given independence after the war(UK wouldn’t have the strength or will to keep it), and Japan probably would not have done the same.

After independence, the troops that fought for Japan were regarded as freedom fighters(which I don’t have a problem with per se, since they thought Japan would free India) and given good pension, but Indian troops who fought for the British are not

@calvinhobbesliker:

After independence, the troops that fought for Japan were regarded as freedom fighters(which I don’t have a problem with per se, since they thought Japan would free India) and given good pension, but Indian troops who fought for the British are not

Wouldn’t that make you angry with the UK, or the Indian government then, not Japan?

• With Russia being as big as it is, I might try to play more defensive

@Dylan:

With Russia being as big as it is, I might try to play more defensive

Wouldn’t Russia’s size cause you to play more offensively? With there being more space and longer time for the Germans to get to you… wouldn’t you be able to expand a bit? Granted if you buy only infantry you can’t do much attacking, especially with more space, but can’t the Russians be a bit more reckless with the extra territories? Or do you mean to screw the Germans over by trapping them in continual webs of never ending Soviet infantry… thus delaying the German advance until the other Allies can take some pressure off? That could work I guess.

I will probably play conservatively at first though (with any country) because it is a new game and you need to feel it out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m