Battle of the Bulge with ILs rules and map.

• '10

Getting set up to play BotB with ILs rules and map next week. Will try the regular AA combat rules option first to see how that plays out. Will report how this works. Video will help me remember how it goes.

• Oh man i made that in like 2004!

I forgot about that one.

I did play it back then and its alot like a standard AA game, but allows the Germans the ability to get more pieces into the battle if they get to certain places and achieve more victory. IN this they can take Antwerp.

• '10

@Imperious:

Oh man i made that in like 2004!

I forgot about that one.

I did play it back then and its alot like a standard AA game, but allows the Germans the ability to get more pieces into the battle if they get to certain places and achieve more victory. IN this they can take Antwerp.

I am not sure about the rule that states, under the reinforcement chart add one armored infantry unit with every armored or Panzer unit due as reinforcements. That seems like a lot of mechanized infantry. I am also thinking about using Tide of Iron map tiles to make an even larger layout. I have a large board game bench in my shop so 3x6 layouts are no problem. Looks like our BotB game is set for tuesday. I will post how it goes.

• '10

Played BotB with ILs rules today. A lot of mistakes made by both of us concerning the new rules. We used the regular AA combat system but with 12 side dice and ILs attack and defend numbers. Looks like you have to use the pull out strips to get random hits on various units. Otherwise you end up with too many casualties in the early rounds of the game. ILs rules concerning aircraft were not detailed. We rolled for air initiative and then placed the aircraft in the battles where we wanted them but skipped the dogfight routine. Then we did did the aa defense with each artillary as the only aa guns. Other ground units could not hit planes. I played the Germans and broke out into the open and started to rack up the points on round # 4. The allied player lost too many trucks by putting them in the front lines so we called it a game after 4 rounds. We planned a rematch for next tuesday. I think we can eliminate the mistakes next time and have a lot better game.

• I will take a look at this file and see what i can add. Perhaps i have an answer to the high loses question.

I do remember something about each ammo chit = one combat round  ( 3 ammo counters= 3 combat rounds), so its not like you can fight as many rounds as you like, you are however using the other values.

• '10

IL, I thank you for any help or input that you can give me for this game.

• So using one ammo chit and a d12 you are rolling one combat round using these values?

And your saying that the loses are too high?

Also, note tiger tanks take more than one hit to destroy.

All German Infantry attacks at 2
    All Allied Infantry attacks at 3
    All Artillery attacks at 4
    All Armored Infantry (or Panzer Grenadiers) attacks at 5
    Allied Tanks attack at 6
    German Tanks attack at 7
    German Tiger Tanks attack at 8
    German planes and Allied planes fight at different values.

German Units Attacks Blitz move Blitz move cost Dice
    Infantry 2 no -
    Armored Infantry 5 yes 1
    Artillery 4 no -
    Tanks       7 yes 1
    Tiger Tanks  8 yes 2

Fighters* 7 - 1
    Bombers 8 - 4

Allied  Units Attacks Blitz move Blitz move cost
    Infantry 3 no -
    Armored Infantry 5 yes 1
    Artillery 4 yes 1
    Tanks   6 yes 1

Fighters 5 - -
    Bombers 6 - -

• * Note defends with Anti-Aircraft rolls at 4 or less.
    • * Note: Optional German Jet fighter attacks preemptively at 9.

How the new units perform:

SS Panzer:
    All SS Panzer units are to be painted black and effect combat as follows:

1. These units can retreat if they receive one or two hits but only at the discretion of the German player.
    2. For each combat action where 3 or more of these units participate then one additional D12 is rolled. Only one extra die per battle can be rolled in this manner.
    3. In combat they take 2 hits to destroy.

OK just roll one die for each unit. I think i fixed that but didn’t upload the current rules. I think you got those from the old AH site and i had made further changes since that time.

• '10

WOW, we were rolling three die for each tank Like the rules said. I think we may have goofed. We also had the defenders roll. Did we goof that up also? Yes we had the tigers taking two hits. I also learned not to move groups of tanks ahead without infantry support.

• Not sure what the extra rolls were for. Must have been one of the first drafts and didn’t take that part out.

Tigers are good to punch the lines because they can be used like battleships and fix when damaged.

• '10

IL, do you have more recent rules posted somewhere?

• '10

IL, sorry but I have given up on your variant of BotB after our session yesterday. The rules that you had for aircraft just do not get it done. The oob rules for aircraft are no good either. The two hit tigers are too much also. The Germans are very superior to the allies and do not need two hit tigers. All of the tigers just soak up too many of the allies hits. I think what I will do is use your variant map which is better than the oob map and then try to improve on the oob rules. By the way the whole British army that you had in the north were just wasted units early on. I think it was turn number seven before they could get involved.

• Yea well that was in 2004. BTW i am still looking for the files. But the order of battle is totally correct as well as the air power ratios.

Just tweek the existing inventory of units and alter as needed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m