September 18, 2014, 03:40:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help support TripleA software development. Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: German Naval Strategy  (Read 5705 times)
naturesprank
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:39 pm »

My gaming circle has found no need for a bid system or any other revisions for '42, yet our games tend to favor neither side consistently. Using air in R1  to take out the Baltic fleet (too risky IMO) typically results in GER buying boats anyway, so RUS tends to focus on beating back GER on the front lines while it builds in preparation for pressure from ���.

GER can clearly outproduce UK early, and thus amass a pretty healthy fleet before UK can get enough boats in the water to challenge it. In our experiences, the success of the G1 attacks on UK boats is critical. If the UK battleship survives, it is a nice centerpiece to build a fleet around. If, as usually happens in our games, UK is left only with the transport and cruiser in sz1, the GER fleet has the chance to exert great pressure on any UK fleet builds, protect Fra, and keep troops moving to Kar. Bad news for the allies, especially if an IC goes into Fra and the GER fleet can sail out to sz7.

A possible counter to this is to build 2 bombers in UK1 while waiting for the US bombers to arrive. That would mean in y2 the US and UK could have a combined 3 ftr and 6 bombers, plus any remaining boats, to harass the GER fleet. Additionally, UK and US can SBR GER relentlessly and annihilate the ITA fleet if the attack on the GER fleet doesn't bode well.  
Gamerman01
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

Rules "Deputy", G40 league mod

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:22 pm »

Good post, natures.

Fairly consistent with my experience and observations.  People who say Germany doesn't buy fleet and shouldn't buy a complex in France are still stuck on their strategies from previous incarnations of A&A, I think.  As you said, with Germany outproducing UK early (53 to 35 or something) and wiping out most of UK's boats on G1, it makes sense to build a transport or two or three early, and with 3-4 transports, move major ground units (I usually move infantry and artillery only - let the tanks drive their way) to Karelia.

Well, bigdog's post pretty much sets out the main bullet points for why a significant German fleet is very important.  I'm playing a game now where the Axis player did not buy any boats with Germany, and I destroyed them.  It was a huge boon to the Allies, that Germany did not buy any boats.  The old days of 24 IPC 1 hit battleships, 16 or 18 IPC carriers, and 12 IPC destroyers and total income of around 40 are over.  It's a whole new world in AA50, and at long last, fleets with varied naval units are a normal part of the game - yay!  (Not to mention, improved shipyards)
BulwFi
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

Democracy was saved by the exertions of Communism

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 01:13:09 pm »

Love the strat on german navy. Having a big game tomorrow nite. will follow it and see how it pans out.
Watch this space for a full write up.
Upside-down_Turtle
A&A.org Submarine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 07:00:19 am »

Turn 1 buy for Germany: 1 carrier, 1 transport, 2 tanks, and 2 infantry.  Gives Germany a mobile amphibious attack force that dominates the Baltic. 
Gamerman01
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

Rules "Deputy", G40 league mod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 07:37:08 am »

Turn 1 buy for Germany: 1 carrier, 1 transport, 2 tanks, and 2 infantry.  Gives Germany a mobile amphibious attack force that dominates the Baltic. 
I agree - that is a good buy.  I usually play with tech, so buy at least 1 less tank than that - a first round tech can be devastating!
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

2014 Support Drive
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Field Marshal Games