Allied Strategy Debate: R1 Fighter Movement

• I’ve been messing around with my Russia + UK game (my friends and I always play them as one person), and I’ve come up with the interesting idea of moving one (or both) of Russia’s starting fighters to assist somewhere else than the german front.

I began by deciding to play as a conservative Russian, and to not do any attacks, just simply mass units and defend, at least for the first turn.

I had first tried messing around in western Russia, to slow Japan, but the fighters can’t really do anything big enough for me to try it in a game with my friends. Japan doesn’t really start to massively assault western russia until J3 (or J2 if he’s quick / risky).

Then I pondered helping out the UK. I tried both bringing my fighters to AE Sudan, and India (both can reach both), with some interesting results. G1 usually consists of attacking AE Sudan, but with 2 russian fighters there defending at a 4, it’s a bit more of a stretch. Germany can come with a tank, an infantry, and either 2 more inf or a tank. It’s a close call either way, really, and in my tests UK usually wins with 1 or both russian figs surviving.

This early African victory is actually pretty damn decisive. The UK can drop a factory in AE Sudan now, moving the Iraq infantry in for defense, and moving the southern africa man up for next turn. If you wanted to be reckless, and personally i dont, you could also take some infantry from india to defend it. I don’t like that idea much because India is a prime target for the Japs.

Having a factory that can drop 2 units a turn in AE Sudan is amazing, on so many levels. First, you can threaten Southern Europe with ease, making Germany actively defend it. Second, you can easily take whatever you want in africa (although leaving some for america is optimal). Third, it allows for the dispatchment of tanks to the Indian front or Russia. Fouth, it’s next to 2 godly sea zones. From either side of AE Sudan, you can hit Libya, Algeria, Western Eurioe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Ukraine SSR, Caucasus, Iraq, Persia, India, and various parts of British-controlled Africa.

After that test, which worked out fairly well, i tried using the Russian figs to defend India. This worked out awesomely. The Japs couldn’t attack it till at the very best J3, giving the brits 3 infantry and 3 tanks (or however you like to mix it up, maybe another fig).

on the british turn, the Brits can move the figs in their land into Russia to make up for the russian figs lost to other areas, and eventually the units could be switched back. This essentially creates only 1 vunerable time, namely G1, and because i’m playing conservative Russia, it’s really not THAT weak a vunerability.

So what do you think? How bad can Germany hurt Russia on G1 with no Russian Fighters defending? Are either of my strategies worth the risk?

• I think this is an interesting (and good) idea, however here are my thoughts (note: i am only providing criticism as you’ve already mentioned many of the good points to your plan)

@Uber:

I’ve been messing around with my Russia + UK game (my friends and I always play them as one person), and I’ve come up with the interesting idea of moving one (or both) of Russia’s starting fighters to assist somewhere else than the german front.

I began by deciding to play as a conservative Russian, and to not do any attacks, just simply mass units and defend, at least for the first turn.

this is the key, right? Because my Russian fighters are very important to me in R2 (where you’re playing RR) to help take Fin and Ukr and EEU. If you are hoping to just hold CAU and KAR then sure - you can do whatever you want with your planes.

Then I pondered helping out the UK. I tried both bringing my fighters to AE Sudan, and India (both can reach both), with some interesting results. G1 usually consists of attacking AE Sudan, but with 2 russian fighters there defending at a 4, it’s a bit more of a stretch. Germany can come with a tank, an infantry, and either 2 more inf or a tank. It’s a close call either way, really, and in my tests UK usually wins with 1 or both russian figs surviving.

This early African victory is actually pretty damn decisive. The UK can drop a factory in AE Sudan now, moving the Iraq infantry in for defense, and moving the southern africa man up for next turn. If you wanted to be reckless, and personally i dont, you could also take some infantry from india to defend it. I don’t like that idea much because India is a prime target for the Japs.

I kind of like both these ideas - esp the idea of sending them to India to help with the UK IC. At the same time, helping the British hold and focus on Africa REALLY stalls/hurts Germany.

Having a factory that can drop 2 units a turn in AE Sudan is amazing, on so many levels. First, you can threaten Southern Europe with ease, making Germany actively defend it. Second, you can easily take whatever you want in africa (although leaving some for america is optimal). Third, it allows for the dispatchment of tanks to the Indian front or Russia. Fouth, it’s next to 2 godly sea zones. From either side of AE Sudan, you can hit Libya, Algeria, Western Eurioe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Ukraine SSR, Caucasus, Iraq, Persia, India, and various parts of British-controlled Africa.

“first” - hard to threaten southern europe unless you’ve managed to get a fleet under the luftewaffe
    “second” true - but no point in leaving anything for the US - the UK needs all the cash it can get
    “third” also true, but you can get two transports for the same price to do the same for Russia and Japan will have a pretty good hold of India by this point
    “fourth” true - making it easier for Japan to shell w/ bb’s and land troops onto thus getting another ic

After that test, which worked out fairly well, i tried using the Russian figs to defend India. This worked out awesomely. The Japs couldn’t attack it till at the very best J3, giving the brits 3 infantry and 3 tanks (or however you like to mix it up, maybe another fig).

ok - i like this ploy. I’m a 2 inf/1 ftr in india kind of guy myself. I usually end up throwing other ftrs there if i can too.

on the british turn, the Brits can move the figs in their land into Russia to make up for the russian figs lost to other areas, and eventually the units could be switched back. This essentially creates only 1 vunerable time, namely G1, and because i’m playing conservative Russia, it’s really not THAT weak a vunerability.

also true, but i’d rather take dead zones with Russia than with the UK for some reason i can’t put my finger on.
    So what do you think? How bad can Germany hurt Russia on G1 with no Russian Fighters defending? Are either of my strategies worth the risk?

• first of all if you land in egypt you lose your air force because, usually there is a bid in libya, if not, and you didn’t attack ukraine or anything, the german can attack with 3 inf 1 arm 2 ftr 1 bmb. They should win with the tank. This loss of russian air is devistating

• '19 Moderator

Inxduk - I am assuming that he is playing a no bid game. Alot of guys who play on a real board don’t bid.

CC - the reason you probably like to take the dead zones with the russians is to make the Jap attacks less painfull when they start.

Uber KruX - I used to do a similar thing with Sinkiang. I would send russian troops and figters along with the brit fighter to Sinkiang. Then the Americans would put a fighter and an infantry a turn there.

By J3 there can be 3 Brit fighters and 4 American fighters along with 4 American Inf and 4 Russian Inf. The russian fighters have switched out with the Brits. Plus I would base the brit and American bombers there to Bomb any Jap factories that were put on the mainland.

It takes Japan along time to break that. Especialy when you add a fighter every turn.

The british are free to start pushing troops into Karelia.

• UberK, Great idea! You are a creative thinker open to suggestions.
    Please, register and join our chats! 8)

cc, Ink & dzf,
    Well done! Everybody’s usin the ol’ grey cells. Ink’s comments even covered the thoughts from a 2-inf-bid-in-Lib perspective as this was not clear.

–-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don’t make me beg, Uber KruX.
    O-kay. Pleaseohpleaseoh_please_ohplease!

• i reggied, lol :)

• I like some of these ideas. One thing I have tried is moving the Russian fighters to Yakut. Hopefully, although you should never rely on opponents mistakes, Japan will view this as a defensive move to insure they do not attack Russia but go towards China/India/Sinkiang instead. The fighters are really there for the Japanese transports. If Japan goes heavy Pearl Harbor you have two transports in the Sea of Japan to sink and I for one am willing to risk those fighters. If they leave a carrier or battleship behind and you can’t attack who cares. Germany wasn’t going to attack Karelia on G1 anyway, not to mention the UK fighters are there to help defend. If you can sink the transports it puts Japan behind a turn. You can also accomplish much the same thing by landing the fighters in India and sinking the Phillipine and Sea of Japan tranport that drop off the 4 infantry in Burma on J1.

• Heres how I would do it.

Russia: Buy 3 Tanks 3 Fighters
    Fly planes to Egypt-Sudan
    UK: Evac India to AE sudan, attack any remaining German subs/trans then land in Karelia. Proceed as normal.

That gives you 3 Fighters, 4 Inf 1 tank in Egypt. A smart German player won’t even bother with Africa anymore. A less smart player will try to fight you in Africa. A lose/lose situation for the axis.

• How does Russia manage to buy 3 fighters and 3 tanks and not have Germany and Japan dancing in the red square?

• @Yanny:

Heres how I would do it.

Russia: Buy 3 Tanks 3 Fighters

I think he meant 3 arm & 3 inf(24 IPCs as compared to his 41 IPCs purchase above.)

He just got a lil excited.
    He’s an A&A Addict, y’know! :P

But that’s 8)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m