AAP:40-At Times it can get Historical, and that can be annoying.

• Now to start with, don’t get me wrong. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool, home grown “homer” from the good ole’ US of A.

But when it comes to Axis & Allies, I can’t help it if the German Army in WWII was too short sighted to equip it’s troops with with winter gear, and enough logistic support to allow it’s forces in Africa to push on through to Alexandria. The Desert Fox? You ain’t seen nothing until you’ve seen the Japanese in Africa, I call it the Desert Panda Bear.

If I’m playing the Japanese in Axis & Allies, I expect my armored columns to not only be knocking on the doorsteps of the Russian Capital, but to also be exploiting gaps in the Allied lines in East Africa.

Now this new game, they call it Axis & Allies Pacific 1940, it has some really peculiar strategies to it that I’m not real comfortable with, as far as a game of Axis & Allies goes.

Like earlier tonight, my best friend and I are talking over the phone about strategies and such for an upcoming game session we have planned for Wednesday the 21st at his place on the south side of Dayton Ohio.

So TA says to me (he is going to take the Japanese and I’m going to be the Allies in game 1) that he is going to take his Japanese CV, BB & DD from Truk down and whip my ANZAC DD & transport on J1 in sea zone 62. Then he may just hang around sea zone 62 to cause the Aussies some loss of IPCs due to convoy disruption.

Now I’m thinking to myself, that’s not very nice. I mean, I make the drive all the way out to his place in Dayton, and he’s telling me that he’s going to do something like that, and I thought we were pals.

So that gets me to thinking; OK, if that’s the way you’re going to be, then I guess I’ll just have to bring the American fleet down that way to see about that.

Now, we’re on the phone talking about this, and he says back to me, “Yeah, I figured as much, you bringing the US fleet down to play, but I can bring more IJN units in from the PI on J2 to match your US units.”

Now at this point, I’m wondering if we’re even friends anymore? I mean, I know TA springs for the beer and all when I go out his way to play the game, but he’s being really unfriendly about this whole thing at this point.

So I say to him, “Oh yeah, well you bring your back up in from the PI, and I’ll bring every damn Allied plane I can get my hands on in to the fight.”

So now here we are, the two of us, life long friends, getting all ramped up about a battle theoretically taking place early in the game; somewhere north of Australia; south of the Solomons; somewhere in the neighborhood of the Coral Sea.

Then it hits us…what kind of BS is this?!? Next thing you know, that fight will wind up boiling over into the island groups in and around New Guinea and Guadalcanal!!!

I know, I know; that’s the most F’d up thing I"ve ever heard about in a game of Axis & Allies too!  :-o

NEWS FLASH AXIS & ALLIES DESIGNER GUYS - THAT ALREADY HAPPENED MAN; THIS IS AXIS & ALLIES! WE WANT THE UNUSUAL! THE BIZARRE, THE…WE AIN’T NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE, MAN!  :-P

As the Japanese, you should have your Army columns half way through Siberia by that point, not fighting alongside your Navy over some crappy little islands just north of Australia! Who ever heard of such wierd stuff??? :?

And your Navy ought to be in position to bypass India if need be and land Japanese troops on the east shores of Africa!

What the hell have they done to this game, gone historical!?! :-o

What about my Japanese Ha-Go tanks blowing the living dog-snot out of Russain T-34s at the gates of Moscow?!? And landing in Italian Somalia to blitz into Alexandria from the east?!

WHAT ABOUT THAT?!?

WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE TO AXIS & ALLIES!?!  :-D :-D :-D

• I Liked this! :-D :-o :lol:

• This was awesome :wink:

• I laughed very hard.

But you are right, one minute A&A can seem very historical, and the next you’ll see some operations that gives ‘alternate history’ a new meaning.  :lol:

• @Admiral:

I laughed very hard.

But you are right, one minute A&A can seem very historical, and the next you’ll see some operations that gives ‘alternate history’ a new meaning.  :lol:

More & more we’re seeing games unfolding in ways that we’ve read about in history; and that’s a little nerve wracking for a game of Axis & Allies! :lol:

It always makes us stop and rethink real quick if we’ve made a mistake with the rules somewhere!  :lol:

• This was very enjoyable to read.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m