• On a J1 attack, should the japanese attack the navy at NSW? Is it good because it destroys a transport or bad because it puts it at risk of 4 fighters?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

On a J1 attack, should the japanese attack the navy at NSW? Is it good because it destroys a transport or bad because it puts it at risk of 4 fighters?

The US can attack J first with 1 ftr, 1 tactical and 2 bombers. Then ANZAC can hit the Japanese fleet with 1 sub and 4 ftrs. Might not be the best idea for J ;)

• @Hobbes:

@calvinhobbesliker:

On a J1 attack, should the japanese attack the navy at NSW? Is it good because it destroys a transport or bad because it puts it at risk of 4 fighters?

The US can attack J first with 1 ftr, 1 tactical and 2 bombers. Then ANZAC can hit the Japanese fleet with 1 sub and 4 ftrs. Might not be the best idea for J ;)

Isn’t the hawaii fighter too far away to reach NSW?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Hobbes:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Isn’t the hawaii fighter too far away to reach NSW?

You’re right. I was thinking of the Japanese fleet saying being on Queensland SZ but it can reach NSW. It that case then the odds get a lot better against the allied planes.

• I say send the battleship from Caroline there and send the destroyer with maybe a fighter to take out the ANZAC submarine.  You might think its too costly to lose the battleship down there but it would be at least until turn 2 for ANZAC that they could do a naval invasion.  Plus its not like the Japanese can’t replace a few lost ships which you should be doing practically every turn.  I say go for broke.

• I agree with sending the BB in caroline to kill ANZAC’s destroyer and transport as well as the destroyer from caroline with a plane to kill the sub.

• Allied counter attack:
    As pointed out the Haw based US ftr & tac can’t make the battle. The Phil bmr would most likely be gone w/J1 attack as well. One might consider using the one US bmr (Haw) that could reach sz 62 (NSW) to soften up the Jap mini fleet there (you’ll get one shot to ding the BB). Then the Anz could probably finish it in one rd of battle w/4 ftrs (the Anz sub in sz 47 could not make it either). I know the single US bmr would be suicide, but the US could recover (40 bonus) much easier then the Anz. Bmr is only 2 more ipc then ftr, and the Japs might not get a second round of battle against the Anz air force. Of course the US bmr would have to hit, damn dice :x

• By attacking ANZAC’s DD and TT in SZ 62 with 1 BB from Truk, and attacking the SUB in SZ 47 with 1 DD and 1 FIG, it removes 21 IPC from ANZAC by sacrificing 1 BB which costs 20 IPC.  This would set back ANZAC for about 3 rounds.

If US sends 1 BOM from Hawaii to attack Japan’s BB at SZ 62, that’s another 12 IPC, which would be a great trade off for Japan.  Then ANZAC has to send in his 4 FIGs and would be another possible 10 IPC.

• Not to mention that if you can keep at least a ship or so pipeline going to Caroline depending on your Japan strat, you could keep the ANZAC player land locked indefinitely until the USA comes to help out.

• Yep, I took out that “navy” last time I played, and I think it’s a great move.  I took in a loaded carrier, as well.  And I took out the sub.

J1 attack can easily take out 2 Singapore transports, Hawaii transport, and ANZAC transport in one fell swoop, with little consequences.  I can’t imagine forgoing a J1 attack.

Attached is (v. 3.1) a map after my J1.  A Beta version map is on this actual thread.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17585.180

My opponent did not attack the fleet in Z62.  He was wise.  J has 1 “2”, 1 “3”, and 2 “4” on defense, and takes 6 hits to destroy.  ANZAC has 4 “3” and only 4 hits to destroy.  I don’t have a P40 calculator yet, but those odds can’t be good, and it would be equally foolish to throw in the American bomber from Hawaii.

J1 P40.AAM

• That’s a lot of Japanese Naval power expended on J1, all for the gain of just one extra ANZAC DD.  :?

The ANZAC transport is almost always going to give itself up as a freebie “undefended transport” to the Japanese on J2 anyways.

I’m thinking that that Japanese group of ships ought to be able to find something much more useful to do on the opening round than to pre-emptively kill a transport it would have nailed on J2 at nearly no effort.

Not to mention that to divert such a large force down to that location is going to leave it waay out of position to be of much use on J2.

• Sure, I hear what you’re saying, but it really didn’t take me long to get the fleet back to a position.  And I don’t recall the ANZAC transport being an easy kill in J2 - my opponent doesn’t throw it away so easily.

And what else is there for the Japanese navy to do?  It’s not like the USA navy is going to move in right away because of this move.  There’s till plenty of navy at the Phillipines.

I have no need to persuade you.  I think it’s a good move, and will likely do it again in the future.  Yes, it invites ANZAC to attack you with fighters (depending on how much J brings down) and perhaps invites the USA to venture farther west, but that’s fine with me.  It’s like a trap.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m