• I wasthinking, why not alter Aixs and Allies europe and make it into a World War 1 game? It would certainly add a lot of strategy since there would be lots of fighting in a small area (Europe and some of Africa and Asia). I haven’t seen the AAE map yet, but I’m sure it would be possible to adapt it. It could be the Triple Entente (Britain, France and Russia) versus the Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary and Ottoman Turkey). Italy could also be added to the Alliance and the United States to the Entente which would make a 4 vs. 4 game. I even thoguht a bit about how it could work and how it could be divided.

• Good here to see some awesome scenarios of A&A:Europe, including the WWI scenario you mentioned. Don’t forget to thank Thrasher and those who contributed for it! :smile:

http://www.wargamer.com/axisandallies/EUROPE/scenarios/aae_scenarios_main.html

• i think taking Italy to the Central Powers would be an unforgivable change in the historic context g

• On 2002-06-10 20:54, F_alk wrote:
    i think taking Italy to the Central Powers would be an unforgivable change in the historic context g

F_,
    What’s a g?
    –-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “What great knockers!” - Name that movie and character.

• I think it would be fine to put Italy with the Central Pwoers since it was part of the Triple Alliance initially but simply decided not to fight with them. I have some of my own ideas for making a scenario for WW1 but I could use some help since I dont have AAE. If anyone is interested, feel free to e-mail me at emugod4ever@yahoo.com or add me to MSN Messenger.

• g = grin

• True, Italy might’ve joined the war on the Centrals powers side. But as it is, you already have 3 Axis players (Germany, Otoman Empire, Austria-Hungary) against 4 Axis (Russia, Italy (though can opt to be neutral), France, and England. Seems like a fair front if the Centrals are smart in playing a two-front war.

• I guess so. Maybe Italy can decide who to join, as long as it isn’t 5 against 3. If Italy joins the Entente, then the US doesn’t play.

• I also have AIM if you want to contect me in making this scenario. My screen name is EmuGod4Ever.

• Well it’s more like if Russia’s still in the game, then USA won’t join. Still, this wouldn’t be so bad, Germany opts to get the territories under the Brest Treaty to even things out, while the Allies gain an invaluable Ally.

• The idea of USA coming in when Russia falls is a good one, but the whole thing about World War 1 was that the Van Schliefen plan wasnt executed properly and that’s why there was a war on 2 fronts. I think I want to keep it like that.

• The problem with the Van Schliefen plan is that it’ll be hard to execute, even in the A&A: Europe game since Eastern France can cut through Belgium. However, it would be an important move to cut off Brit reinforcements from coming.

• Of course it would be hard to execute. It required Germany to send 10% of its forces to occupy the French in the south and the remaining 90% to hook through Holland and then to northern France in order to crush Paris. It was made by Van Schliefen in the 19th century. Van Schliefen told the Germans on his death bed not to weaken the hook, but his words were ignored in favour of sending 60% to hook and 40% to fight the French in the south in order to prevent the French from breaking through and heading to Berlin.

The reason it would be hard to execute in A&A Europe is because no player would want to send all of his forces to knock out France so he could fight Russia. That would open Germany up to invasion by enemy forces.

• The problem with the “Hook” in WW1 was the time it took to execute,
    somthing the Germans had no trouble with in WW2. The blitzkrieg was, at that time, a modern version of the hook.

IF you really wanted to make a WW1 board game, i think, and TG Moses will follow me on this, you need to model it after the EgaleGames design of military Boardgaming.
    If you check out one of their games, you we totally see what I mean.

• In fact Eaglegames is coming out with a WW2 game soon call “Blitzkrieg and Bombers”

I can’t wait, I’m sure it will be tight.

• Yeah, I’m a big fan of Eagle Games :D

Napoleon en Europe, Age of Imperialism, Civil War – I love 'em all. I’m still debating whether or not to get Blitzkreig or Civ II. Avon Hill can learn a thing or two from Eagle’s rules and battle system. :wink:

Also the reason why I commented on the Van Schliefen plan was not so much on its impossibility. In fact a lot of historians say that the plan would of succeeded if the German generals had kept in formation according to the “wheel movement” instead of getting over greedy (after early successes) going after a lot more than what they could chew. However, the reason for my comment is that I don’t think A&A: Europe accurately reflects the amount of bloodshed involved in Northern France. Though it’s not very long (therefore taking up only one territory in A&A), it was the most fought Front of the war with every inch paid in blood. Paris should’ve been made a separate territory (sort of the capital), thereby increasing the overall complexity of the game.

• What I was thinking of doing was adding a No Man’s land area on certain borders. When ever tropps would cross that border they’d have a chance of being killed by land mines, barbed wire etc. on No Man’s land. that would help simulate the fighting of World War 1. Many conscripted young men dying in pointless battles, crossing no man’s land in attempt to push the enemy back one trench.

• Yeah, this would require a whole new ruleset. But I think this would be worth doing. The A&A battle system is outdated as it is. And with trench warfare, inf should be defending at 3. Deadzones would be neat, just imagine setting up a Hindenberg Line of Artillery, Machine Gunners, Barbwire, and posion gas against a horde of infantry (with fixed bayonets), tanks, early morning bombardment, and spotter planes drool :D

• I’d appreciate your input TG Moses VI. I really need to read the current A&AE rules in order to know the rules of the game. I also need someone willing to test out the scenario once its done. Would you be interested?

• Well, if you’re looking for seasoned A&A: Europe players, why don’t you try replying in the A&A: Europe Forum. Makes sense that way. As it is, I don’t even own a copy of A&A Europe! :P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m