• In the book, it says that when Mongolia’s borders are breached, they immediately populate (2, 1, 1, 2 respectively) and become allied with the faction opposing the attacker. I’m trying to decide what that means in regards to sparking war with the US.

Technically speaking, there are 3 “allied” factions in the game that respond differently to Japan.

• China is already at war with Japan, so nothing happens if Japan attacks them or vice versa.
    • UK/ANZAC are not directly at war with Japan. If Japan attacks either of them, it brings both of them plus the US into the war. If either attacks Japan, Japan can retaliate against them both without bringing the US into it.
    • The US cannot attack Japan until Japan attacks them or the US collection phase of round 3 arrives.

Based on that complexity, what exactly happens when you invade Mongolia on, say round 2, when Japan has shown no aggresion towards the UK, ANZAC or the US? In reality, the only faction opposing Japan at that time is China, which would change nothing treatywise.

I did some searching in the forums here, but didnt see any real discussion about Mongolia in circulation. I’m devising a nonJ1 attack scenario. In doing so, I’d like to redirect my unspent forces into Mongolia earlier than I do in a J1 scenario.

• None of the powers consider an attack on Mongolia to be an act of war against them. So, it doesn’t cause any other power to be at war with the power that attacks it.

• Official Q&A

Bear in mind that “Mongolia” is not an entity in the game.  Each territory is treated independently.  Attacking one of them doesn’t activate the others.

• Thanks guys, I wanted to be sure. The book refers to neutral “territories”, but that appears to only be Mongolia.

I thought FIC was also, but the errata update suggests they’re with the allies, even though a Japanese attack on FIC sparks no war.
    “Japan may attack French territories at any time, requiring no declaration of war against any Allied power before doing so.”
    “France’s capital has been captured by Germany.  As a result, French territories are treated in the same way as any Allied territories whose capital is held by an enemy power”

I dont think I qualify the Dutch as neutral since they are directly allied with the UK/ANZAC. So if Japan attacks Celebes, that brings the UK and ANZAC into the war, and by extension the US.

Mongolia is an advance Japan can perform in a nonJ1 scenario. Other than that, they appear to be surrounded by eggshells. It seems like Japan is almost forced to go to war or find itself in bad position at the beginning of round 3, the round in which it might as well go ahead and declare.

• Mongolia was a Soviet ally during WWII .  If Russian territories are off limits, Mongolian territories shaould also be off limits.  It’s a good thing that Mongolia is of no strategic interest to anyone, since the current set of rules for it make no sense historically.

• @Krieghund:

Bear in mind that “Mongolia” is not an entity in the game.  Each territory is treated independently.  Attacking one of them doesn’t activate the others.

I would like know the reason for this rule, because it was no sense. Absolutely zero sense

Agreed with jrogersh, non-agression pact should be extended to Mongolia

Mmmm… allies cannot attack USSR in this game anyway, true? So then no reason for not include Mongolia in the treaty

• Wait, why is anyone attacking Mongolia in AAP1940? Send those guys to India (if you’re Japan) or to the asian coast (if you’re China). If another power is attacking Mongolia then either a) the game is already over or b) you’re doing something wrong.

• @TexCapPrezJimmy:

Wait, why is anyone attacking Mongolia in AAP1940?

Here’s somebody’s reasoning:
    @greo:

You can occupy some empty Mongolian territories (as Japanese) and use it as an airbase. Chinese units cannot attack your planes and the other Mongolian infantry cannot move to attack or liberate the province. So you can ever leave a Str. Bomber alone in C.Mongolia lets say and it will be totally safe

• The point with all this discussion about Mongolia is we don’t want these crappy neutral ACME-wall rules continue the same in AAE40 and global, or we are going to attack one territory of some neutral nation with multiple territories and not activating the full nation. Spain and Portugal are the most clear examples with all those colonies here and there, but Brazil is another possible candidate (if they make it neutral), maybe Turkey, and Mongolia will be attacked to annoy the soviets in the global game

And I doubt any country at war would not attack an enemy just because enemy’s army is out of it’s frontiers. It’s ridiculous for China and is ridiculous for any country, starting neutral or not

• There were more than KMT fighting against the japanese. The commies (Mao) fought some local victories against Japan, it was the KMT the dudes messing the stuff. Mao hated KMT the same as KMT hated Mao, but Mao at least knew Japan was the bigger menace

Japan should not be able of attacking Mongolia, that was allied with USSR. In fact, there were some minor skimirses in Mongolian frontier (Kalking Gol, Nomohan), not a war state, but still soviets and mongolian forces toasted japaneses. I don’t see a full expeditionarie force of Japan in Mongolia as well

There are no rules for partisans. Can you say Japan could occupy all China without garrisoning and hold the control? Can you see japanese mechs and tanks blitzing mountains of China as they do in the game? No: gameplay needs such things happen even if in history didn’t happen. Same should be applied for ACME walls

• A&A is a simple game, now if you want more detail, go play WIF or SPI.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m