• I have been invited to a game of Pacific 1940 and I need some help.

I was inviting today, about 10 hours ago, to a game in 5 days and I have not played for many years.  I need some clarification with the terminology on the forum to prepare me for the game ahead.

Given the level of gamesmanship on this forum I hope I can ask a few dumb questions.  I do not want to waste anyone’s time so please let me know if there are resources I can research that can define some of the following abreviations:

• MIC
    • J1 attack
    • securing the DEI

I am starting off small.  There are so many things that I need to learn that I can learn by understanding the lingo.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

p.s. We are playing Pacific 1940

• MIC: refers to the new industrial complexes.  Major/Minor.  No longer are you limited to the # of units you can produce based on the IPC value of the territory your factory is in, but rather you are now limited by the factory being Major (10) or Minor (3).  There are IPC restrictions on what kind of IC you can place where.

J1 Attack:  Means Japan attacks on Turn 1.  J2 / US3 / etc.  Just refers to what country and what turn we are talking about.

Securing the DEI:  In this game the DEI is worth about 20 IPCs to the owner.  (Java/Sumatra/Celebes/Borneo)  Islands that are fought over by the Jap/UK early on, and supposedly the US later.

• So the IPC value of the territory designates the type of units you can build?

Does the P in IPC mean Production?

What does DEI stand for?  What is the strategic importance of securing the DEI?

Thanks MaherC

• IPC = Industrial Production Certificate (ie, ‘money’ in the game)

DEI = Dutch East Indies (which are the 4 islands that both the Brits and the Japanese need to gain on of their National Objective bonuses). They are significant because they are worth 4/4/4/3 + 5 bonus to the side which controls them all. That income is the swing between winning and losing in this game.

As Japan, if you dont make an effort to take all 4 early on, your econ will suffer. Also, if you dont make a STRONG effort to protect them, you’ll be losing that income quite frequently to Allied raids.

• Try to see if they can lend you the Rulebook and read it before you play (it isn’t available online yet). There are plenty of new changes on Pacific 1940 that you need to be aware of.

• To me, the DEI seems to be the most important contested area on the map. You have to have all 4 for the 5 IPC bonus.

BTW, there are various IPC bonuses in this version of the game that may not have existed in the ones you’ve played.

As of last night, I would not say that full control is necessary for either an allied or a japanese victory. But Japan seems to suffer more so for not controlling it.

Since this will be your first game, I’m presuming you’ll be allied and coached in your play of china or anzac or both. Playing china is cookie cutter and quick. How you play anzac depends on the global technique of the US player, so you’ll want to get with him to support his plan. Anzac is pretty minor in the moves and purchasing, so the chance of blunder is small, so long as you coordinate with the US player’s strategy.

• Thanks for the idea Hobbes; my friend is unwilling to give up the rule book as he just recently purchased the game ;)

Is there a posted rule book that is the next best choice?

• @longfeather:

Thanks for the idea Hobbes; my friend is unwilling to give up the rule book as he just recently purchased the game ;)

Not of my knowledge. But are you familiar with the new rules that came out with A&A Anniversary? That might be a starting point since Pacific 1940 largely uses them (although with quite a few additions).

You can download the rulebook http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/axisanniv and afterwards there’s a pinned topic at the top of this subforum about Europe and Pacific’s Facts that describe its features.

Finally you might want to have a look at the posted errata later and ask your friend if he’s aware of it. It isn’t official yet but it is being compiled by Krieghund, who is a member of the development team.

• @Hobbes:

@longfeather:

Thanks for the idea Hobbes; my friend is unwilling to give up the rule book as he just recently purchased the game ;)

Not of my knowledge. But are you familiar with the new rules that came out with A&A Anniversary? That might be a starting point since Pacific 1940 largely uses them (although with quite a few additions).

You can download the rulebook http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/axisanniv and afterwards there’s a pinned topic at the top of this subforum about Europe and Pacific’s Facts that describe its features.

Finally you might want to have a look at the posted errata later and ask your friend if he’s aware of it. It isn’t official yet but it is being compiled by Krieghund, who is a member of the development team.

A combination of the AA50 rulebook and Djensen’s rules previews on the A&A.org homepage (and the posted errata if you choose to use it, which you should IMO) should give you everything you need.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m