• Well my friends and I finally had a win for the allies today.  In a nutshell, here’s what happened:

Japan went all out for China and DEI, attacked on turn 2 taking the Philippines, Borneo, and 3 chineese territories.  Then began to go straight for India but also eventually taking China out completely, Sumatra and Celebes.  They had two minor IC’s in China by turn 5.

US took Iwo Jima, built an airbase there and landed aircraft every turn in order to harrass the Japaneese defenses.  Then began building fleets and transports and attacked SZ 6 every other turn.  Also in the early game, they sent aircraft to Australia after Japan declared war and slowly killed the Japaneese fleet in the south Pacific.

UK built nothing but infantry in order to defend cheaply and enforce China and the ocassional sub todisrupt Japaneese convoys.

ANZAC built mostly fighters and subs in order to harrass any Japanesse navy in the south and later to disrupt Japaneese convoys in the DEI.

Basically the outcome was Japan was a turn or two from taking India (UK was making 8 IPCs per turn) but the US finally amassed a fleet large enough to take out the Japaneese fleet and air defenses in order to land units on Japan.  This attack was supported by aircraft on Iwo Jima.  After the second landing, Japan was left with no transports and lost.  In my opinion, the Japaneese player did not play poorly,but the key was the allies coordianated for a common goal.  After seeing this, I personally believe that the game is not broken if played by skilled players.  We did however use the errata for the rules.  Using the original rules we never got a win for the allies.

Any comments?

• I agree that China and India need to do everything in their power to stay in the game.  It is important for these Allies to bleed Japan all they are able.  ANZAC needs to make sure they don’t get taken, and then later to give a punch to the southern Japanese fleet at the right time when the US can help.  The US delivers the big blows.

• I have seen this in a few games now. Iwo Jima goes down and so does Japan.  One game US bought all bombers after Iwo Jima went down,  They can fly from West US attack the sea zone and land in Iwo Jima.

• Stacking Bombers on midway is a huge help for an attack against japan. Stacking fighters/tackies on Iwo Jima would be a big help as well. However, I’ve yet to see an allied victory using the “attack japan before UK falls” technique. Scrambling just shreds it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m