• Customizer

So I am little bit confused about declaring war and stuff.

Can a country ONLY declare war during right before their combat move?

I thought for example that I could disrupt a Convoy zone, and then if I did I would be at war? 
    The errata seems to say that I can not disrupt a convoy zone unless i am at war… but it does not state that i can not declare war then disrupt a convoy zone.

so for example, it is the end of the japanese 2nd turn, they are about to collect income, and they have not attacked any uk/anzac things, they are not at war with anyone but china.  could, during the collect income phase, the uk/anzac declare war and disrupt a convoy?

• You have to declare war, but really it’s just a formality to keep you from being able to do anything super cool.  Like you can’t take the guy off the carolines on J1, sneak him past the Phils (b/c you’re all cool w/the US) and then invade borneo.  You have to “declare war” so you can’t move through the phils in that scenario.

for the most part, you declare war as soon as you push into burma or whatever, but I guess you have to say it first now.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Ohio State blows.

And yes Maherc is correct.

• Of course I’m correct, I’m a Buckeye :)

• Customizer

so does this mean my example would be perfectly ok and legal to do?

(that basically, you can declare war at the beginning of turn step)

(and since the only time you can do things that may effect your potential enemies are combat movement and disrupting convoys during collect income phase, the only times that you can declare war and it matters are before the combat move step of your own turn, and before the collect income step of your soon to be enemy)

• Official Q&A

The only time that you can declare war is at the beginning of your Combat Move phase.  The only exception to this is the US’s automatic declaration of war at the beginning of its turn 3 Collect Income phase.

• What about the quasi declaration of war if Uk moves an unit into china (chinese controlled) - that can ONLY be done during noncombat. Would it have to do a DOW during combat move?

• @Richter:

What about the quasi declaration of war if Uk moves an unit into china (chinese controlled) - that can ONLY be done during noncombat. Would it have to do a DOW during combat move?

Yes. From the errata under The United Kingdom and ANZAC:

Neither power may move units into China unless a state of war exists between them and Japan.

They can move units in, if a state of war exists. They can’t move units in, causing war.

• @moompix:

@Richter:

What about the quasi declaration of war if Uk moves an unit into china (chinese controlled) - that can ONLY be done during noncombat. Would it have to do a DOW during combat move?

Yes. From the errata under The United Kingdom and ANZAC:

Neither power may move units into China unless a state of war exists between them and Japan.

They can move units in, if a state of war exists. They can’t move units in, causing war.

Does it have to be in writing?

• Customizer

@allboxcars:

Yes, with an official stamp.  Completed in triplicate.  The yellow copy is yours.

• @allboxcars:

Or done as a grand speech mimicking the leader of the power you are playing.

"We stretch out the long arm of brotherhood and motherhood to the Australian and New Zealand people, and to the Indian people, whose army has already been fighting with so much distinction in the Mediterranean theatre. This movement of our naval forces, in conjunction with the United States main Fleet, may give practical proof to all who have eyes to see that the forces of freedom and democracy have not by any means reached the limit of their power.

I must admit that, having voted for the Japanese Alliance nearly 40 years ago-in 1902-and having always done my very best to promote good relations with the island Empire of Japan, and always having been a sentimental well-wisher of Japan and an admirer of her many gifts and qualities, I would view with keen sorrow the opening of a conflict between Japan and the English-speaking world.

The United States’ time-honoured interests in the Far East are well known. They are doing their utmost to find a way of preserving peace in the Pacific. We do not know whether their efforts will be successful, but if they fail, I take this occasion to say-and it is my duty to say-that should the United States become involved in war with Japan the British declaration will follow within the hour."

• @moompix:

@allboxcars:

Or done as a grand speech mimicking the leader of the power you are playing.

"We stretch out the long arm of brotherhood and motherhood to the Australian and New Zealand people, and to the Indian people, whose army has already been fighting with so much distinction in the Mediterranean theatre. This movement of our naval forces, in conjunction with the United States main Fleet, may give practical proof to all who have eyes to see that the forces of freedom and democracy have not by any means reached the limit of their power.

I must admit that, having voted for the Japanese Alliance nearly 40 years ago-in 1902-and having always done my very best to promote good relations with the island Empire of Japan, and always having been a sentimental well-wisher of Japan and an admirer of her many gifts and qualities, I would view with keen sorrow the opening of a conflict between Japan and the English-speaking world.

The United States’ time-honoured interests in the Far East are well known. They are doing their utmost to find a way of preserving peace in the Pacific. We do not know whether their efforts will be successful, but if they fail, I take this occasion to say-and it is my duty to say-that should the United States become involved in war with Japan the British declaration will follow within the hour."

you had me at “hello”  :cry:

• If you’re playing Japan and you try to make combat moves without first declaring war, just claim your embassies screwed up, and that you actually did declare war first.

• Customizer

ok, so this means the situation I described is ILLEGAL…. right krieg?

• So, the turn order is Japan, US, China, UK, then ANZAC, and the situation would be that UK and ANZAC take their turns without attacking Japan (and no DoW), then it’s Japan’s turn and they don’t declare war, and at the end of Japan’s turn the UK and ANZAC say “Surprise! Convoy attack” and Japan is unable to do anything about it (and couldn’t/wouldn’t during their turn).  That sounds kind of unfair, so I think there has to be a DoW on the UK/ANZAC turns or Japan has to declare war on UK/ANZAC that turn.  If it was legal, then the UK/ANZAC could move a bunch of ships into convoy zones and threaten to disrupt a lot of IPCs and force Japan to attack (if they wanted to stop it) and bring the US in, which would not be favorable for Japan.  Thus it seems fair that you have to declare war on your turn and then you’re allowed to disrupt.

And with China, the UK/ANZAC can declare war before their Combat Move, not make any aggressive moves against Japan if they wish/can’t, and then move into China.

• @Col.:

…then it’s Japan’s turn and they don’t declare war, and at the end of Japan’s turn the UK and ANZAC say “Surprise! Convoy attack” and Japan is unable to do anything about it (and couldn’t/wouldn’t during their turn).  That sounds kind of unfair, so I think there has to be a DoW on the UK/ANZAC turns or Japan has to declare war on UK/ANZAC that turn.  If it was legal, then the UK/ANZAC could move a bunch of ships into convoy zones and threaten to disrupt a lot of IPCs and force Japan to attack (if they wanted to stop it) and bring the US in, which would not be favorable for Japan.  Thus it seems fair that you have to declare war on your turn and then you’re allowed to disrupt.

And that’s why the errata now specifically states that convoy interdiction CANNOT be performed on an enemies turn if you aren’t at war, and you can only declare war during your turn (or someone attacks you).

If Japan attacked the UK, starting the war, and the UK still had naval units in a japanese convoy zone at the collect income phase, that’s the only way the UK would be able to do convoy interdiction without having declared war on their turn.

• Official Q&A

@Veqryn:

ok, so this means the situation I described is ILLEGAL…. right krieg?

Right.

• Before war is declared, if the US moves its destroyer from the Philippines into the Japanese sea zone does this prevent(destroyer-stall) Japan from loading troops on transports the next turn to move to other territories for an attack if it declares war on the US that turn?

• @P-Dog:

Before war is declared, if the US moves its destroyer from the Philippines into the Japanese sea zone does this prevent(destroyer-stall) Japan from loading troops on transports the next turn to move to other territories for an attack if it declares war on the US that turn?

No.  On the turn a power declares war, any transports in now hostile sea zones are still allowed to load units from their associated territories and then move.  They are still not permitted to move from neutral seazones into now hostile seazones to load units.

• So if Japan declares War on UK/ANZAC but not US why can’t it move ships through the Phillipines from the Carolines as part of an attack on UK/Anzac? Japan at this point isn’t at war with the USA.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m