• Official Q&A

I’ve just updated the FAQ with some rather substantial changes.  After wrestling with the political rules for some time, a decision was made to completely rewrite them.  I think you’ll find that they are simpler and easier to follow.  While the mechanics have changed, there are only a few changes in actual gameplay.  Feel free to ask questions and let me know what you think.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

First off, fantastic work. Much simpler to follow. Thank you!

First question - After reading the U.S. political section, I’m confused again on the timing of the 40IPC bonus. Assuming the US declares war, would they get +40 on US3 to spend on US4 or not until US4 to spend on US5? Now assuming Japan declares war on J2, do they get the bonus to spend on US2 or on US2 to spend on US3? Sorry for beating a dead horse on this but I’m hung up on the wording.

Second question - With the UK/ANZAC having “guardianship” of Dutch territories, do they still need to physically occupy the Dutch territories to get their NO bonuses?

• The US can’t declare war.  It is a reaction to Japan’s actions.   You don’t get the money until the END of the US turn that Japan attacked the UK/Anzac/US on.

J2 attack, US gets +40 at the end of US2, can’t spend it until US3.

Note, if THIS changes, I’m driving to WOTC and throwing my game into the lobby a la Kramer with the Pottery Barn catalogs.

• Official Q&A

Neither of these rules has changed.  The US still gets its 40 IPC NO immediately when it’s at war with Japan.  If it declares war at the beginning of the Collect Income phase of turn 3, it gets it on turn 3.  If Japan declares war on turn 2, it gets it on turn 2.  Of course, it may not spend it until the following turn.

The UK/ANZAC NOs still require “the Allies (not including the Dutch)” to control the territories in question.  Guardianship is not enough.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I think I finally got all the rules through my thick skull. Thanks guys!

• @Krieghund:

Neither of these rules has changed.  The US still gets its 40 IPC NO immediately when it’s at war with Japan.  If it declares war at the beginning of the Collect Income phase of turn 3, it gets it on turn 3.  If Japan declares war on turn 2, it gets it on turn 2.  Of course, it may not spend it until the following turn.

The UK/ANZAC NOs still require “the Allies (not including the Dutch)” to control the territories in question.  Guardianship is not enough.

Okay pardon my ignorance, but I’ve read a lot about “not including the Dutch”. Will there be a Dutch power in E1940? Or by “Dutch” do you mean while it’s still neutral? I know the rulebook, FAQ and errata mention the neutral territores, and also mention the areas which can be moved in during non combat, and during combat, and what not but I still don’t understand that. I’m having a tough time grasping what happens if the Allies attack certain neutrals (whether those which have power symbols, or in the middle of China which those i’m REALLY confused on) or if Japan attacks the same said territory. If it is in the updated FAQ then I apologize, I’m on my way to read it now. I just wanted to ask before I forgot in case it’s not mentioned.

• Looks good. Definitely clearer. Thank you

• Official Q&A

@Mino1124:

Okay pardon my ignorance, but I’ve read a lot about “not including the Dutch”. Will there be a Dutch power in E1940? Or by “Dutch” do you mean while it’s still neutral?

It simply refers to Dutch territories still under Dutch control (not claimed by UK/ANZAC or captured by Japan).  Holland will not be a power in AAE40.

@Mino1124:

I know the rulebook, FAQ and errata mention the neutral territores, and also mention the areas which can be moved in during non combat, and during combat, and what not but I still don’t understand that. I’m having a tough time grasping what happens if the Allies attack certain neutrals (whether those which have power symbols, or in the middle of China which those i’m REALLY confused on) or if Japan attacks the same said territory. If it is in the updated FAQ then I apologize, I’m on my way to read it now. I just wanted to ask before I forgot in case it’s not mentioned.

It’s important to distinguish between neutral powers and neutral territories.  The US is a neutral power.  It is run by a player and starts off not in the war, but will be in it eventually.  This is covered by the political rules.  Neutral territories are just territories that don’t have a dedicated player and aren’t in the war.  Unless someone attacks them, they never will be.  The only neutral territories in the game are the ones in Mongolia.  They’re covered by the neutral rules under Spaces on the Game Board on page 8.

• @MaherC:

The US can’t declare war.  It is a reaction to Japan’s actions.   You don’t get the money until the END of the US turn that Japan attacked the UK/Anzac/US on.

Note, if THIS changes, I’m driving to WOTC and throwing my game into the lobby a la Kramer with the Pottery Barn catalogs.

Is this true? Specifically, that the “US can’t declare war”? I wasn’t aware of that. I thought the U.S. could declare war at any time before it’s combat move phase.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@shaffer22:

@MaherC:

The US can’t declare war.  It is a reaction to Japan’s actions.   You don’t get the money until the END of the US turn that Japan attacked the UK/Anzac/US on.

Is this true? Specifically, that the “US can’t declare war”? I wasn’t aware of that. I thought the U.S. could declare war at any time before it’s combat move phase.

No the US can declare war. It has always been the case.  It just has to be US turn 3.  That why there is always the debate for Japan to attack on either turn 1, 2, or 3 before the US can.

Sean

• The US can’t do anything until punched by Japan before US4.  On US4, US can attack.  Don’t make it sound like the US can “declare war”.  US at war is a triggered effect.  Either Japan attacks UK/US/ANZAC on J1/2/3 which brings the US into it, or the built in rules for the game sets the US “at war” during the collect income phase of US3.  You get your +40, but you cannot attack until US4.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@MaherC:

The US can’t do anything until punched by Japan before US4.  On US4, US can attack.

I could swear it is US turn 3 they can.

Yep just looked it up.  If Japan has not declared by turn three during US collect income phase it gets the bonus and is officially at war.  It has been that way the whole time.

Ahhhh I see you corrected your post MaherC.

Sean

• no.  I’m starting to understand why so many people feel this game is balanced.

• Ok, I should’ve read the errata update earlier. That makes it much more clear. The original wording in the game book was sort of ambiguous. Thanks for clearing it up.

• Yes, I corrected it, because I wanted it to be clear that you can’t ATTACK on US3 unless provoked.  Sure, you are “at war” at the END of US3.  But you can’t do anything aggressive until US4.   You are “at war” so you can get +40 to use in US4.  But for all intents, you are not “at war” until US4.

So many people post in here with questions that are obvious if they were to read the rulebook (yes, there is confusion over some things, but you should know that you can’t use kamikazes on J1!)  I blame twitter.  Kids can’t read or process more than 140 characters.

• Customizer

this entire time i thought it was turn 3 that the USA went to war (including the ability to attack, etc.)….

thanks to this new errata, i actually read what i missed earlier in the rule book.

• @MaherC:

Yes, I corrected it, because I wanted it to be clear that you can’t ATTACK on US3 unless provoked.  Sure, you are “at war” at the END of US3.  But you can’t do anything aggressive until US4.   You are “at war” so you can get +40 to use in US4.  But for all intents, you are not “at war” until US4.

So many people post in here with questions that are obvious if they were to read the rulebook (yes, there is confusion over some things, but you should know that you can’t use kamikazes on J1!)  I blame twitter.  Kids can’t read or process more than 140 characters.

MaherC is correct.  The US is at war during US3  Income Phase (at the lastest), which is after Purchases, Combat Movement, and Combat are done and over with.  If, Japan did not attack on J3, the US may not attack Japan on US3 either.

• Thanks mister Hund!

• @Krieghund:

It’s important to distinguish between neutral powers and neutral territories.  The US is a neutral power.  It is run by a player and starts off not in the war, but will be in it eventually.  This is covered by the political rules.  Neutral territories are just territories that don’t have a dedicated player and aren’t in the war.  Unless someone attacks them, they never will be.  The only neutral territories in the game are the ones in Mongolia.  They’re covered by the neutral rules under Spaces on the Game Board on page 8.

So if i understand well, the neutral rules stay as they are. That means NO IP for Mongolian territories and NO movement for Mongolian Infantry.

• Official Q&A

Correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m