IDEA - Global Game Ruleset & "Additional Items" Seperate Expansion Pack?

• So lots of people have common complaints about not having enough tac bombers, the cardboard chits for ICs/AA Guns,NBs/Airfields, crappy battle strip, and lack of IPCs, etc. etc.

So what if - instead of just getting the global ruleset included with A&A 1940 Europe rulebook….

A&A 1940 Global Expansion Kit! - ~$19.99
    Includes:

Global Rulebook
    Redone Setup Cards for all nations (like the old school box covers from Original A&A)
    20 Plastic Major ICs
    20 Plastic Minor ICs
    20 Plastic AA Guns
    30 Plastic Naval Bases
    30 Plastic Airfields
    All Nations +6 Tac Bombers, + 6 Mech Inf. figures.
    IPCs
    Redone Battle board
    Redone Production Chart up to ~100 with Technologies included on the chart.

Just a thought, and maybe I should be shot for even posting it where somebody at WOTC can see it…  I think they make a killing on the game as it is…
    But WOULD it be worth it?  To have all those quality “issues” taken care of?

• @GDFTigerTank:

So lots of people have common complaints about not having enough tac bombers, the cardboard chits for ICs/AA Guns,NBs/Airfields, crappy battle strip, and lack of IPCs, etc. etc.

So what if - instead of just getting the global ruleset included with A&A 1940 Europe rulebook….

A&A 1940 Global Expansion Kit! - ~$19.99
    Includes:

Global Rulebook
    Redone Setup Cards for all nations (like the old school box covers from Original A&A)
    20 Plastic Major ICs
    20 Plastic Minor ICs
    20 Plastic AA Guns
    30 Plastic Naval Bases
    30 Plastic Airfields
    All Nations +6 Tac Bombers, + 6 Mech Inf. figures.
    IPCs
    Redone Battle board
    Redone Production Chart up to ~100 with Technologies included on the chart.

Just a thought, and maybe I should be shot for even posting it where somebody at WOTC can see it…  I think they make a killing on the game as it is…
    But WOULD it be worth it?  To have all those quality “issues” taken care of?

Very unnecessary for the battle board and production chart considering that end result will be 3 battle boards and 3 production charts.  It would be more efficient if they built the scale of the global game into the production chart for Europe, and made the corrections from Pacific on the Battle board for Europe, considering you’ll get those with the Europe game that you’re more or less required (in the eyes of the company) to purchase.  Same with the rules.

I’m all for additional pieces for tacs and mech infantry.  AA guns would be nice as well, especially since they’re distinct from buildings at this point and really are a distinct unit, thus should be plastic, although most of us can pilfer from old games.  And it would be keen to have corrected setup nation boards for Pacific, as well as individual setup boards for the changes for the Global game (I’d be shocked if there were none).

I still don’t understand why people want plastic for the naval and air bases though?  The spaces get crowded enough as it is, and what mold exactly would you use?  A flat runway gimmick for the airbase?  And for the Naval Base?  A plastic anchor would be ridiculous.  Both seem completely unnecessary, would crowd the board, and wouldn’t add anything to the gameplay, and just add tickytacky plastic bits that represent a rather abstract & loose collection of military buildings and equipment, completely out of scale with any of the pieces that are associated with them.  I just don’t see the value of molds for either of those.

I’m torn on factories.  They’re nice to look at but they get in the way in cramped spaces like the UK, or a diversely built Germany/Japan.  It would be nice to have visually distinct model factories but anyone actually playing the game knows/remembers what factory size goes where, and the cardboard ones don’t clutter as much, and unlike the AA gun, it will never move with units.  So does it really add much of anything to the game?

But this entire set would mean none of the rules and changes are offered in the Europe game, and if that were the case they’d see a crazy amount of blowback, PLUS the rules and changes would end up online nearly immediately, so they’d probably make very little cashola to warrant such an endeavor.

• I would buy it but I would also be upset and feel like WOTC is cheating me out of my money because they should already have this included for a $70.00 BOARD GAME.

• @molinar13:

I would buy it but I would also be upset and feel like WOTC is cheating me out of my money because they should already have this included for a $70.00 BOARD GAME.

I agree with this statement and I will buy all my extra stuff from FMG.

• Ok am I missing out on some stuff regarding FMG?

All I see on their webpage “custom” for A&A are the dice with the insignias.

Is there other stuff in the works or that they currently offer that you know about and I’m missing?

• I definitly will buy the FMG pieces - if they are finally released… (and the price is OK) ;)

• Dude, don’t give WOTC any more ideas…  You’re already shelling out up to $200 for AA1940Pac and Eur, and you want to give them a chance for you to shell out MORE?  You’d basically be paying an extra $20 (if not more) for errata and a new rulebook, for christ’s sake.  I don’t think many people would even need to buy this global game expansion anyway, with both sets already.

Hell, this is like the thread started on the Darkfall forums about if NA players would have to buy a new copy of the game for the NA servers, which immediately got flamed down, then the devs saw it.  Before 2 weeks went by, major announcement came that it was necessary for people who already bought the game client would have to pony up for a NA copy of the game.  Don’t give them any more ammo with the A+A franchise.

• @Brain:

@molinar13:

I would buy it but I would also be upset and feel like WOTC is cheating me out of my money because they should already have this included for a $70.00 BOARD GAME.

Any news on when FMG will start selling the pieces?

• @SgtBlitz:

Dude, don’t give WOTC any more ideas…  You’re already shelling out up to $200 for AA1940Pac and Eur, and you want to give them a chance for you to shell out MORE?  You’d basically be paying an extra $20 (if not more) for errata and a new rulebook, for christ’s sake.  I don’t think many people would even need to buy this global game expansion anyway, with both sets already.

Hell, this is like the thread started on the Darkfall forums about if NA players would have to buy a new copy of the game for the NA servers, which immediately got flamed down, then the devs saw it.  Before 2 weeks went by, major announcement came that it was necessary for people who already bought the game client would have to pony up for a NA copy of the game.  Don’t give them any more ammo with the A+A franchise.

Yep I knew I was going to get chewed out…

Look, it doesn’t matter if you’re buying additional pieces from FMG, Litko, ebay, the mafia, the dollar store, or WOTC.  They’re all going to cost you $$$.  This was just a suggestion of a way that WOTC could provide those pieces.  If they don’t then fine, other companies will provide pieces and lots of us will buy them to enhance our sets.  On the other hand, if WOTC did provide such a set, then it would just be another option for us consumers…  not a requirement.

I mean honestly do you really want to go bouncing back between the Pacific and Europe rulebooks to piece together the global ruleset?  Or would you rather have a nice neat concise copy of the global rules as they specifically apply?

Yup you could homebrew your battleboard and your deployment cards.  In fact I just did for A&A PAC40 using the thread on this forum, and they turned out awesome.  The tradeoff was of course time and some $$$ for materials.

Again it’s all about convenience.  The convenience of them being provided by the game maker has to be worth something -just a question of what-. and that’s why I came up with a suggested price and why I made this suggestion.

• @GDFTigerTank:

@SgtBlitz:

Dude, don’t give WOTC any more ideas…  You’re already shelling out up to $200 for AA1940Pac and Eur, and you want to give them a chance for you to shell out MORE?  You’d basically be paying an extra $20 (if not more) for errata and a new rulebook, for christ’s sake.  I don’t think many people would even need to buy this global game expansion anyway, with both sets already.

Hell, this is like the thread started on the Darkfall forums about if NA players would have to buy a new copy of the game for the NA servers, which immediately got flamed down, then the devs saw it.  Before 2 weeks went by, major announcement came that it was necessary for people who already bought the game client would have to pony up for a NA copy of the game.  Don’t give them any more ammo with the A+A franchise.

Yep I knew I was going to get chewed out…

Look, it doesn’t matter if you’re buying additional pieces from FMG, Litko, ebay, the mafia, the dollar store, or WOTC.  They’re all going to cost you $$$.  This was just a suggestion of a way that WOTC could provide those pieces.  If they don’t then fine, other companies will provide pieces and lots of us will buy them to enhance our sets.  On the other hand, if WOTC did provide such a set, then it would just be another option for us consumers…  not a requirement.

I mean honestly do you really want to go bouncing back between the Pacific and Europe rulebooks to piece together the global ruleset?  Or would you rather have a nice neat concise copy of the global rules as they specifically apply?

Yup you could homebrew your battleboard and your deployment cards.  In fact I just did for A&A PAC40 using the thread on this forum, and they turned out awesome.  The tradeoff was of course time and some $$$ for materials.

Again it’s all about convenience.  The convenience of them being provided by the game maker has to be worth something -just a question of what-. and that’s why I came up with a suggested price and why I made this suggestion.

Before I buy any pieces of any kind I am going to wait and see what WotC decides to do about the Japanese tactical bombers and mechanized infantry in AAP40.

• @GDFTigerTank:

I mean honestly do you really want to go bouncing back between the Pacific and Europe rulebooks to piece together the global ruleset?   Or would you rather have a nice neat concise copy of the global rules as they specifically apply?

I thought I read that any Global rules would be provided in the Europe rule book.  Outside of setup, what would be different?  And what would you need to refer to in the Pacific book that wasn’t covered even more clearly in Europe, especially as I imagine Europe rules will have adjusted language due to Pacific Errata.

Kamikazes are a fairly simple rule and shouldn’t need reference beyond the first game, if they’re even included in the global game.  As for National Objectives, frankly I will be surprised if they remain the same.  Anzac and Britain will likely be combined, so their objectives will also probably need to be adjusted.

And the US war income boost Objective, well, I’ll be VERY surprised if the game is played with forced split income as it will complicate banking, playing, placement, etc and nothing forces you to actually keep units placed in the Pacific from joining up in the atlantic.  The global games tend to favor simplicity and clarity at the sacrifice of realism of theaters of war.  If the US is a single player, with a single bank, then I’ll be shocked if the 40 IPC bump isn’t adjusted for the global game so that the first turn the US is at war they don’t slam down over 120 IPCs in a single round on one of the coasts (it stands to reason that in the Europe game Washington DC will ALSO have a 40 IPC or thereabouts bump).  If objectives aren’t adjusted I don’t see how the game will remain balanced when suddenly the US is the giant it actually was in reality.  The US has to be neutered a bit so that the Axis actually has an inkling of a hope.  Otherwise I just see a KGF or KJF too easy as a one turn massive naval stack will have too much ooomph to be pushed back, even if afterwards the US took a more balanced buy approach.

So, I really can’t imagine the objectives, as they’re applied in the Pacific game, being used as written in the global game.  So, again, other than a quick review of Kamikazes, what will you need to see from the Pacific book exactly?

• Well I was thinking the NOs and also aren’t some of the setup instructions correct in the rulebook but not on the boxes?  What about the specifics of US/UK&ANZAC declaring war on Japan and territory movements before war is declared.

The rules may not be the same as the new ones for Germany/Russia/etc.

• Like I said I would purchase it from WOTC but if FMG comes out with a package of their own I would rather buy that instead. What you put is a good idea, but I doubt it would happen

• @GDFTigerTank:

Well I was thinking the NOs and also aren’t some of the setup instructions correct in the rulebook but not on the boxes?  What about the specifics of US/UK&ANZAC declaring war on Japan and territory movements before war is declared.

The rules may not be the same as the new ones for Germany/Russia/etc.

The setup instructions are incorrect in both rules and boxes, as far as I know.  The errata will have corrected instructions, which is unfortunate for anyone who doesn’t come here for errata info.  Besides, I doubt setup will be the same.  I don’t believe UK will have a split income with Anzac, so my best guess is that south pacific setup will be adjusted as it’s one power, and that’s a helluva lot of now British Fighters that can suddenly stack together and attack in unison.

As far as war declarations, what would be confusing?  Axis can declare war at any time.  UK can declare war at any time.  US cannot declare war until provoked, or UK is attacked by an Axis member (it’s possible that Germany attacking UK won’t bring US into game but since Japan attacking UK brings them in the game, I’m guessing that part of history will be ignored.  It seems more likely to me that Britains starting position will be so weak that they’ll be building up to prevent a sealion, not able to actually do anything).  Russia probably won’t be able to declare war until attacked or Russia3.  But the rules aren’t so substantial that in a global game they could just have one paragraph at the back of the europe rules for it.

Dutch rules are so vague that you need the Errata to clear them up, so pacific rules don’t really help there anyway.

• @skinny1:

@Brain:

@molinar13:

Any news on when FMG will start selling the pieces?

Check the thread in Other Axis and Allies Variants

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m