New Tac Bombers for my set, painted fgtrs

• I have decided it is time to paint some fighters to look like Kates.  My Jap fighters are painted “sand” and have a meatball on one wing.  My bombers are “sand”, “IJN Green” or “IJA Green” and have meatballs on both wings.  Should I paint the fighters IJN Green, with a meatball and a yellow stripe on each wing?  I saw someone else do something like that, and I got enough fighters from my Revised, Pacific, Guadalcanal and Pac40 games to make all I need of both fighters and Kates.  I have had it with the oversized planes.

I also picked up a package of 1:700 B-25s but I can’t really use those as US Tacs on the carriers, but I intend to use them as US Tacs that are land based.  I painted a few 1:700 Corsairs when I got my Pacific set and I use them as carrier planes and the P-38s for land based fighters.

I love the Mosquito, but I would like a UK Tac for carriers, and I am sure I will want the same thing when Europe come out.  I am really enjoying the game, Pac40, but the Tacs drive me nuts.

If you have a little patience, I can’t speak enough about how nice it is to have painted pieces.

• could you link us to some pics?

• i would like to see the pics also

• I will have to ask IL to remind me how to do that again.  Expect some pics on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have painted several ships, aircraft and army units.  Basically everything in my “Revised Set” has been painted.  I haven’t painted any Tac Bombers, Cruisers nor Mech units because they didn’t exist back then.  I have also painted some Corsairs and some F4Fs because I didn’t like the P-38s on my carriers.

If anyone knows something about the paint scheme for a Kate, please let me know if IJN green with a meatball and a yellow stripe on each wing would be in the ballpark for a Kate.

• Someone posted pics (somewhere) of Vals in about the same scale as the game aircraft. They came unpainted in a bag of 4 and you had to glue the landing gear on. For the life of me, I can’t recall where or the name of the company that made them. Any ideas?

• It’s easy. goto Mediafire.com for upload

• @Autarch:

Someone posted pics (somewhere) of Vals in about the same scale as the game aircraft. They came unpainted in a bag of 4 and you had to glue the landing gear on. For the life of me, I can’t recall where or the name of the company that made them. Any ideas?

Tumbling Dice UK is the name of the company. 1/600 scale. The Vals are a little smaller than the Tacs in the game, but are bigger than the fighters.

• @Autarch:

Someone posted pics (somewhere) of Vals ……?

You can find that information HERE

• Well, I got 16 small Japanese planes painted with IJN green and two meatballs and they look just great sitting on my carriers with the other Jap fighter painted in sand with only one meatball.  All my Strategic Bombers have two meatballs so I think I got it all figured out.  I’ll post the photos in the middle of this coming week.  I still haven’t added the yellow stripes.  Should they go on the leading edge of the wings, or should they run along the wing at the fuselage front to back?

Anyone want to buy six unpainted Pac40 Jap Tacs?

I got a mess of other unpainted pieces if you want to talk turkey.  With 4 A&A games, I got more Japanese pieces then I know what to do with.  In my teenage years, these jokers would be BB gun targets.

I also decided, since I have some F4Fs from an earlier A&A game, they will be my US TAC bombers.  I bought a set of 1:700 Corsairs many months ago and I use them for my fighters.  I can paint the F4Fs and use them for my Navy Tac Bombers.  I could sell the orignial unpainted US TACs also.

• @Hellmet:

@Autarch:

Someone posted pics (somewhere) of Vals ……?

You can find that information HERE

Hey thanks Hellmet! That’s exactly what I was talking about. Thinking about getting the Kates to use for the carriers. BTW, what was the orange color you matched to the pieces?

• ……BTW, what was the orange color you matched to the pieces?

I used FolkArt #433 Terra Cotta acrylic paint from Wal-Mart.

• I finally got the details worked out to post these photos for you.  The first several photos come from an active game of Pac40, and the remainder are used to show the full sets of pieces and the comparison with the OTB pieces.

• Here are a couple more pictures.

• Here are the next two photos.

In the photos the color Sand used for the Japanese pieces is too pale as is the color IJA green.  The IJN green looks about right and the US pieces look about right, although the Corsairs are a tiny bit too blue.  The UK pieces painted Armor Sand are also a bit too pale.  The real figures look a little better.

• Here is the fourth set of photos.

• And the fifth set (we’re half way there).

• Here is the sixth pair of photos.

• Here is the seventh set of photos.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the reason I went through this iteration is because I wanted smaller Tac Bombers for carrier service.  The IJN Green planes are just extra Zeros I have from earlier A&A games.  I painted a meatball on each wing and use them for Tac Bombers.  The Sand colored planes are the Zero fighters with only one meatball and the Betty Bombers are painted in all three Japanese colors, Sand, IJN Green and IJA Green.

• Here is set number eight of the photos.

The US solution is more complicated.  I used 1:700 fighters (Corsairs and F6Fs I think) to replace the P-38s in the Pacific when I played Revised.  A later game came with single fuselage fighters, so I am painting those Navy Grey and calling them the Tac Bombers for the US.  I also have some B-25s (1:700) I will paint and use for land based Tac Bombers.

• Here is the ninth set of photos.

I need to check on the source to find out what went wrong here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m