Map files available for PBEM game threads

• Hello there. I’ve got an idea for the games forum for those following PBEM games. I’m playing a game with Ghoul T, we post our moves, build and attack results on the forum etc. However, we also email each other back and forth a map file for the map utility (Axis&Allies Map for Windows). It’s far to tedious to show the current map position after each move and those following along quickly lose track of board setup. I’d like to provide these maps for those interested in following the game and for the players so they don’t have to keep a historical record themselves. I guess it could be done two ways.

A) Allow trusted users to upload a map file to the webserver.
    B) Somebody running their own FTP server allow us to do this.

Both have drawbacks.

A) runs the risk of having trusted users run a warez site and would might require two levels of ‘registered’ users. The FTP upload folder could have write only and directory read rights only for ‘trusted users’. However the web server process would still be able to serve up the files as it’s running under a more privilged user account. This could still run the risk somebody would just post a link to a warez file just uploaded in the guise of a map, perhaps a daemon to delete files in the FTP upload folder that don’t meet map file size criteria?

B) Runs the same risk running a private FTP server. Since the AA.org server would have the IP hardcoded in the web pages we run the risk of having the remote FTP’s IP change for a variety of reasons. We also run the risks of trusting a remote party to be the file librarian.

So, whaddya thinks folks?

BB

• Hi BigBlock,

I’m running a dice-server with the option to upload game-files (from AAMapWin and my own compatible Map-Programm) to download and view the map’s online (!!!)!

You can take a look in the games, e.g. my last pacific game against speer: http://www.attila-products.de/modules.php?name=Dicey&file=dshowgame&game=93
    (a free registration is a must to use it).

My solution of the problem:

• All users must be registered to use the dice-server
    • the Upload is done by a Web-Formular (implemented in PHP)
    • all Map-Files are stored in a Database
    • Map-Files are limited to 10kB (never seen a Mapfile of the size)
    • all Map-Files are compressed before storing in the Database using gzip (this saves 50-80% of the space - a compressed Mapfile size is 1.0-1.5kB)
    • In the database the map’s are indexed my game, turn, the user who had submitted the file and the date/time.
    • Map’s can be viewed online (the Bitmap is generated online from a Mapfile)
    • Files greater 10kB are ignored and immediatly deleted
    • FTP ist not used for up- or downloading the files

With these techniques is can store between 100000 and 150000 Mapfiles, before my webspace is running low (depend on the Mapfiles - A&A Maps are very small, e,g. W@W Mapfiles are greater)

If you have questions, you can eMail me at info@attila-products.de
    I hope i can answer all your question with my poor english.

Atti

PS: I’m not a commercial!

• BB,

I run a hosting server, and would be happy to allow such a system on my server. Perhaps we could get it set up with Djensen or somebody and I’ll could use some help implementing it. :wink:

P.S. - If anybody from these forums ever needs free hosting, I’d be happy to offer my server. :P

• Founder TripleA Admin

I have tons of webspace available. Would you be willing to let me run that script on my website?

However, I’ll probably have to modify it to work with user logins for this site. I’ll probably also read through the code to see how it works.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m