• Customizer

I’m wondering to what extent German politics will be dictated by Hitler’s personal goals, rather than those the Germany player may wish to attain.

Specifically, will the German player be able to postpone the attack on Russia in order to follow the Mediterranean strategy favoured by some of his commanders, particularly the navy?

Opinion is divided as to the wisdom of this approach; on the one hand it may have accelerated US entry into the war before Russia had been dealt with; on the other the conquest of the Middle East would’ve provided direct entry into the Caucasus (from the south) making the invasion of the USSR a much easier proposition.

From what I read into comments so far the game has been designed to make the German-Soviet conflict pretty much automatic in a couple of turns, thus following Hitler’s idealogical obsession rather than what may have been a more sound strategy.

• Yah I am really interested in how the Soviet politcal rules will work aswell

From what we know/can assume right now the politcal rules of AAE40 are

Gemrany and Italy can attack France and the UK from the very begining and visa versa.

The US enters in the collect income phase of their 3rd turn, unless they are attacked by Italy and Germany(why that would happen I dont know)

The Soviets are the only mystery.

I feel it seems reasonable for historical and game play purposes to allow the Soviets to attack German territory( and in effect allies) as well as neutrals from the very start, they attacked Finland and Romania aswell as having plans to attack Turkey.

The key question is when does Germany get to attack? and when they do, does the Soviet Union get any bonues to its econamy like the US?

• No Russia should not get any NO bonus if they are attacked, since they had start preparing for war since 1936, and when this game start in 1940, the russian economy was on wartime footing, and Russian forces had been figthing in Mongolia/Manchuria (Khalkin Gol-Battle), East Poland, Balticum, Bessarabia and Finland since 1939, so it will be insane to give Russia any bonus if Germany attack them.

• Well, I am not sure exactly what the figures are, but simply because the soviets had been engaged in fighting with its nieghbors over the past decade does not nessisarly mean that their whole econamy was geared to supporting these efforts, these were after all small wars compared to WW2. The German invasion also promoted quality leaders taking charge in soveit army which allowed it to recover somewhat from the purges. It could also represent movement of industry eastward  and into the impregnable urals.

Today the US is engaged in conficts all around the world, but in no way do we have a wartime econamy; its quite the opposite in fact.

• Today the US is engaged in conficts all around the world, but in no way do we have a wartime econamy; its quite the opposite in fact.

(I hear that)

Anyways my guess is that Russia may have an option similar to the U.S. After a certain amount of turns if no attacks occur geared towards them then they are allowed to declare was on the axis. Not sure if people will like it but its just a guess.

• The russian economy may have been on “wartime footing”
    but the archangel territory could bump up by 5-10 when the Soviets are at war AND the US is also at war with germany

I heard larry say in a thread on his boards that russia can attack germany on turn one, but it would be suicide (im assuming the borders hold only ~5 infantry and an arty) so there arent any messy rules like the US has.

• I agree that at the start of the game Germany/Italy will be at war with UK/France. (Italy declared war on UK & F June 10th 1940). I can’t see a formal Dec Of War between Germany/Russia ahead of time giving the other a warning. There shouldn’t be any permanent boost to either economy. I think there will be NO’s based on conquest in each others realms that could be rather large. There could also be an extra one time bonus to entice an invasion. I think Russia will be able to attack at will any neutral tt (pro whatever-could have consequences) from the beginning. I don’t believe The Soviets will be able to enter any allied controlled tt (or vise versa) until it is officially at war with the axis (kinda like the US). To be officially at war w/axis Russia would just simply need to attack any axis controlled tt or a pro axis neutral w/o restraints I would think. Germany/Italy could also declare war by invading any Russian controlled tt at any time. I don’t think Germany or Russia will have much as far as real attack forces in eastern Europe at the start. Maybe enough to gobble up a few neuts that are between them. They’ll need at least one turn just to buy and reposition their troops to mount any real attack.

• @oztea:

I heard larry say in a thread on his boards that russia can attack germany on turn one, but it would be suicide (im assuming the borders hold only ~5 infantry and an arty) so there arent any messy rules like the US has.

Right, but when is germany allowed to attack; are there going to be a politcal rules restricting them at all.

• i willing to bet germany can attack at any time

but if russia is at war while the UK is at war, i expect there a bonus to be involved for lend lease
    and when the US joins the war AND you have attacked russia, expect there to be a bonus involved for russia

you will need at least a turn before its possible

G1 - Kill france
    G2 - Mop up, attempt sea lion, harras UK in the Med, or go for Russia
    G3 - Go for Russia, because I bet they decalare war on R3s Collect income phase

• @oztea:

G3 - Go for Russia, because I bet they decalare war on R3s Collect income phase

The soviets are not going to have any politcal restictions either, I beleive they will be able to attack from the very start aswell.

• UK/France will be like China is in aa40p
    Russia will be like UN/ANAZAC is in aa40p
    US will be like the US is in aa40p

Thats my guess anyway.  Still have no clue what will draw the US in early though.

• ive read alot about this subject and yes the soveits were in war time economy( at least occording to my sorce)
    and will likely have few tanks and artilery because they had little havey gear too start 1941 with this being before 1941.
    and have little too none air because they lost hundreds of plane in the finnish war.

• They still had 37500 planes left over. More than anyone else. To be HA they should have 4-5 fighters (even the ANZACs had 4 but it would ruin the game if they had 20) 2-3 tacks and 1 bomber.

But they will have mabey 2 fighters and a tack. 3 tanks and 5 artillary should be good.

• @Vareel:

Still have no clue what will draw the US in early though.

Obviously not the fall of any part of Europe, the invasion of Russia or the Battle of Britain….

It will be tricky.
    [And if it’s turn-based-auto-war like in AAP40 it will be disappointing IMHO.]

• In fact, the auto-turn based war has more sense in Europe than in Pacific. Since USA entered in war after attacks on Pearl and Pearl is off-map in AAE40, is a good way of simulating the Pearl Harbour sneaky attack: just imagine Japan attacked USA in the other part of the world and Hitler made his crazy DOW on USA. In Pacific map has less sense historically (no sneaky german attacks on Puerto Rico or such), but is a mechanic needed for gameplay reasons I fear, since there is not a real diplomatic engine for the game (simulating inner politics that prevented a early DOW by USA)

The stuff I don’t like with this is being turn 3, it seems too few having 2 turns of peace, at least for Pacific. Of course, we would need a weaker Japan and a stronger China to prevent Japan toasting China too early in a long “peace” rules, and Larry seems wanting underpower the poor chinamen as default basis. I’d prefer round 4 or 5, and USA player could anyway play China and Free France until USA enters war

• Bah, this game does little to represent REAL troop/aircraft/tank numbers during the war…  It simply factors in the surprise attack strength Germany had when it attacked both France and the Soviet Union.  Both countries were caught with their figurative pants down, and the lower starting troop numbers represent that in-game.

It would be pretty hard to build this where you actually have plastic on the board representing the total army sizes and still have Germany win by rolling the dice.  Maybe you could load the dice, like giving all Germany die rolls a -1 for the initial invasion of Fall Gelb in the Ardennes or Operation Barbarossa, and having all the Allied die rolls +1 for the battle.  But dice odds would still throw the game out of whack for the Axis some of the time, in which case not having the units there in the first place negates this probability.

• @democratic:

They still had 37500 planes left over. More than anyone else.

Where are you getting these numbers from, I understand the USSR had the largest airforce in 1939, but from what i have read they no more than 3,000 fighters and bombers. You must of added a 0, 37,500 is absurd.

• I think the game should have leaders like in the War game. Wouldn’t it be cool to get a Hitler piece in the game.

• The leaders could give a boast of defense when their territory is under attack :-)

• @Brain:

Wouldn’t it be cool to get a Hitler piece in the game.

That’s what Eva Braun said.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m